Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a biker from northern Italy (western Alps precisely) and I am looking for a new trail bike (something aroud 120-140mm of travel, 150 mm maximum).
The problem is that I have very long legs, I am 180 cm tall (basically 5' 11) but my inseam is 90 cm (35,4"). As you can easily understand, this is a problem with modern geometry because bikes usually have a short seat tube and a massive reach...while I need a not so short seat tube and a not so long reach.
I also recently discovered the concept of R.A.D. (rider area distance), I measured my R.A.D. at 83 cm +- 0,5 cm (my old MTB RAD is 83.5 cm).

I am mostly interested in this bike from Radon (a brand from Germany that sells directly to the customers, just like Canyon): SKEEN TRAIL CF 9.0 2021 - RADON Bikes

Here is the image with the geometry of the frame in size 20". The reach is 474 mm, the stack is 623 mm, the seat tube is 455 mm.
Bear in mind that I ride with a saddle-bb distance of 78,5 / 79 cm. My previous bike was a Cube AMS 120 size 21" (515mm seat tube, 433mm reach, 635mm stack, 60mm stem).
Do you think that the size 20" of the Radon MTB has too much reach for me? I think it should be ok because it is 41 mm longer than my old bike but the seat angle is a lot steeper; moreover, I could also use a 35 mm stem.

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

· Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm long legged, short torso and also follow some of the RAD/RAAD principles. I size down and look to makers that haven't gone all in on the super long top tubes. Like Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Giant. Though I must admit I do like slightly steeper seat tube too.

Being short torso is also tough with stacks getting higher.

I think I sacrifice some high speed stability, but I like nimbleness and being able to move the bike more. Being short in the torso these days is hard.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
I’ve got somewhat similar proportions. I’m 6’1” (185cm) barefoot, with an inseam of 36.25”.

I be got a bike with pretty similar geo (2018 kona process 153 29’er). It’s got 475mm reach, 630mm stack, 631mm of ett, and super short 425mm chainstays. And this bike feels borderline to small to me. I’ve got a 50mm stem on there trying to help me weight the front end/stretch out my riding position a bit.

The bike you’re interested in is pretty similar, so I think you’d be fine.

That said, look at the Banshee Prime(135mm travel). It’s got smaller reach numbers than many bikes (470mm in size large iirc), and quite a bit longer chainstays than most as well (~450mm, with another option to lengthen them another 10mm). It is frame only, but I think the geo should work really well for you.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm long legged, short torso and also follow some of the RAD/RAAD principles. I size down and look to makers that haven't gone all in on the super long top tubes. Like Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Giant. Though I must admit I do like slightly steeper seat tube too.

Being short torso is also tough with stacks getting higher.

I think I sacrifice some high speed stability, but I like nimbleness and being able to move the bike more. Being short in the torso these days is hard.
Unfortunately I have a maximum budget of 2500-3000€ (approximately 3000-3500$), so I need to look for a bike from brands with a high quality-price ratio, for sure not Specialized, Trek, BMC and similar brands. I have noticed that the new Rocky Mountain Intense follows the pattern of long reach, slack head angle and short seat tube, the old model (2020) would be much better for me but shops here have sold everything they had.

Giant could be an option, but the only bike with geometries that are close to what I need is the Trance 29 3. The Canyon Neuron is also an interesting option having 453 mm of reach, with a reasonably long seat tube and enough stack (but it is sold out).

I've got somewhat similar proportions. I'm 6'1" (185cm) barefoot, with an inseam of 36.25".

I be got a bike with pretty similar geo (2018 kona process 153 29'er). It's got 475mm reach, 630mm stack, 631mm of ett, and super short 425mm chainstays. And this bike feels borderline to small to me. I've got a 50mm stem on there trying to help me weight the front end/stretch out my riding position a bit.

The bike you're interested in is pretty similar, so I think you'd be fine.

That said, look at the Banshee Prime(135mm travel). It's got smaller reach numbers than many bikes (470mm in size large iirc), and quite a bit longer chainstays than most as well (~450mm, with another option to lengthen them another 10mm). It is frame only, but I think the geo should work really well for you.
The Banshee Prime is too expensive. The fact that you are feeling your bike borderline to small is interesting, especially considering that you are 185 cm tall and you are running a 50 mm stem. That probably means that I could ride the same bike with a 35/40 mm stem without any problem. Have you ever measured your RAD?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.