Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just started biking again,, what are the advantages of wearing the bike shorts i hear people talk about
i have never wore a them so i just didnt know what the advantages to the skin tite shorts

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
they wick moisture away from your skin, and usually they have some sort of padding ('chamois') to cushion the ride - useful unless your rear is amply cushioned already.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
They pad your ass, they don't bunch up and chafe and they don't tend to get caught on the front and back of the saddle if you have to move around a lot.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Padding is important, especially on longer rides (or everyday rides)...

At the same time, removing sweat is also important - though you still sweat in lyca inner (padded) shorts, its less than in cotton shorts, and the added comfort is well worth it on longer rides.

I guess you could equate it to riding a wider, more padded saddle - just without the chafing issues after a few miles.
More comfort, but without the disadvantage of rubbing the skin off the inside of your legs.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
captain204mike said:
oh ok,, i wasnt aware that they had pads in them
If a lycra short doesn't have a chamois pad I don't consider it a cycling short at all, just something someone might wear for another type of exercise. Baggy style bike shorts come both with chamois and without, as some prefer either no chamois or to wear a regular lycra cycling short underneath. A good quality chamois can make a long ride much more enjoyable, a cheap one that is little more than a wad of padding can make your ride miserable. A good bike short also has the seams positioned and/or sewn in a way that don't interfere with you and your saddle.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
A good bike short also has the seams positioned and/or sewn in a way that don't interfere with you and your saddle.
Good point, doesnt matter how things are done - if you have a seam down the gooch, its gonna hurt before too long

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Baggy shorts

You do not have to wear the skin tight lycra shorts. Many mountain bikers prefer so called baggies, which are more like real shorts, but they also have a chamois pad. Aside from the different style, many have several pockets, which I like. Take a look at Hoss Ponderosa shorts. Very comfortable, good padding, and reasonably priced. Many different colors too. There may be even cheaper places but try here: http://www.treefortbikes.com/190_333222338867__Ponderosa-Baggy-Short.html

Uncomfortable shorts and/or a sore butt can severely diminish your desire to ride.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Wherewolf said:
You do not have to wear the skin tight lycra shorts. Many mountain bikers prefer so called baggies, which are more like real shorts, but they also have a chamois pad./QUOTE]

+1

I rock a pair of Specalized Demo shorts. The chamois is removable -- I can wear it, or not, as I please. The legs come down below my knees, which I prefer. (I have never liked short shorts).

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Qatarbhoy said:
I wear padded lycra shorts under a pair of baggy shorts (so as not to scare innocent bystanders).
Same - also provides extra pockets for energy gels, mars bars etc. While still giving you the comfort of a lycra short.

Endura make some really good ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.