Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Last week I decided to take the plunge and get some bike shorts. Went to Supergo in Seattle and tried on about 20 different types/sizes. The only thing that I felt fit was the '03 Fox high frequency in size XL. It's a bit loose in the waist, but the next size down was cutting off leg circulation, I'm a 34 inch waist, thighs are a bit big though.

I'm just curious, before I rip off the tag or do something to where I can't return them how shorts are supposed to fit. Right now I've only sat on the bike seat and pedaled backward. The padding in front seems to stick out a bit, will it break in and shape to my body??? They just feel weird right now, but so did clipless at first.

Also they seem hot and muggy the short periods I've worn them. I'm just wearing simple cotton shorts now and love a breeze going through them and when I'm riding with a breeze so the air is standing still on a hot day I consider it hell. Are these things hot or am I just imagining things.

Any advice is appriciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought some pearl izumi canyon shorts after trying several other cheaper brands for the last year or so. They blow the other ones away. No more having the seat get caught in the pants, the liner doesn't bunch up, soooo much nicer, but alot more $. I don't think they should feel hot. I guess you just have to find a pair that fits your body best.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
almost all baggy mtb shorts are bogus

I too have big ex-trackie thighs, and I too just hate the fit of today's baggy shorts with their stupid second pair of liner shorts built in. Who wants to wear two pair of shorts? Not me. Last good mtb specific baggies I bought were some Chromes, some years back. they didn't have a liner, just a sewn-in chamois, and they were great and comfortable.
So rather than invest in overpriced overengineered under-comfortable shorts I hate just because that's the current fashion, what I've been doing for the past several years is buying my shorts at the thrift shop for $1 or $2. Wore some really obnoxious plaid ones this morning, the less I look like the cover model on Bicycling Ragazine the more I like it. What makes wearing these shorts viable is what I wear under them: Andiamo padded briefs. CO Cyclist carries them I think they're $23. In going on 5 years of literally daily riding I'm on my second pair. They make any shorts comfortable, not just for bopping around town, I'm talking 10 hour backcountry epics with the same degree of comfort as any overpriced overhyped Pearl Izumi crap.
If you hate the feel of tight lycra binding your legs and like a cool breeze up that'a way, check it out. Works for me. And when your shorts wear thru from saddle contact, as all shorts do no matter how freakin expensive, you end up with a $1 shop rag instead of a $100 Pearl Izumi shop rag.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fit seems to be the optimum word here. As I said I tried on 20 or so at the shop, I'm generally a medium with non-biking shorts. I couldn't get any mediums in the LBS past my knees, and some other Fox shorts wouldn't go past my knees in XL!!!! The ones I got were not cheap, they retail for $75, since they were '03's they were marked down to $55 with another 20% off for a clearance sale (all shorts were 20% off). I really want them to work, but think I'll be returning them. I guess I'll need to find an weird brand or something for a fit since I've tired all the big brands that were there. The Supergo brand name shorts by far fit the worst, I got the impresssion from the three sizes I tried that their inner liners are one size fits all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good tip, BulC, I think I'll try that. Have to wait till next month when I'm back in Washington state though.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts