Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am trying to be a nice guy and buy my wife some bike shorts. I was thinking Hoss Ponderosa's (though would love suggestions). I could just imagine how happy she would be when they arrived. Right before we go on a cool trip to Tahoe. I even snuck into her closet to look at what size she is. It should be easy right?? Just peak at some shorts or pants and then lickity split I could order them online.

Oohh I am sure you are chuckling already....Lets see now...I found a range of clothes from 6-12...6 size range?? I dont even want to know.... After a thorough perusal I think the pants and shorts she is wearing the most off are 8-10s. But what the heck is an 8?? or a 10?? No waist size? No leg length? I feel like I need one of those tags that you find on the tongue of a running shoe that says "US 9=Euro 40.5cm"

Could a guy get a little help? I can do a lot of things I like to think. Some of them pretty cool and tricky I like to think sometimes. But I cannot make heads or tails of womens sizing.

If you could please provide me with the secret code I would appreciate it. And any recommendations of shorts as well would be great. It would save me the huge embarrassment and perhaps fatal aftereffects of buying shorts that are either way to small or way to big. Which is worse I wonder...I shudder to think about either. (just kidding last part she is way cool about that stuff...at least I think she is...dang it now I am confused again!!).

·
Registered
120 Posts
No worries! Most bike shorts come in S-M-L, etc. I go from size 8 or 10 in the winter to 6 in the summer and I always buy medium size bike shorts and they fit year-round. The websites may even have charts to help you with US sizes (ie, 6, 8, 10, etc.). I am sure that your wife will appreciate it (even though you posted her size online!!)!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to our (frustrating) world. Agreed, she sounds like a medium. Sizes like 6-8-10 vary from label to label. You need to know her waist size, like 28", 29", etc, then match up with the manufacturer sizing.

Never heard of Hoss. They look nice, though. Are you looking for baggies only? Those are harder to get to fit right, cuz not only does the outer short have to fit but the inner does too. And rarely does either fit perfectly (at least for me). Harlot makes nice baggies, as does SheBeest. For lycra, my favorite are the Pearl Izumi Microsensor shorts. As always, it depends on the person!

If you're ordering online and in doubt on the size, order both, give her the smallest size, and if she needs a larger you'll have it. Send back whatever doesn't work :)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.