Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I 2 months ago took a trip from Utah to Southern California. While we were there I came across a bike shop in a outlet mall. I saw a sale that they were having and bought my wife mountain bike. She decided that she'd try the trails with me this next spring. Well they have a 08 Tassajara by Gary Fisher there on sale for 525.00 . So I thoght it was a good deal. I saw it had a few good Shimano parts. But some things I failed to check I noticed when I got home. The first was her headset. The next was her chain, And the other was the cassette and bottom bracket. Not to mention the brake levers. And then I thought.....those were items I didn't look at during my time the the bike shop. They make sure you see the XT derailer in the rear and the Octailink crank. Then they mask your concern with tires and say you are lucky to have rock shox on them. I guess I better pay more attention the next time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I know....I'd just like to have more of a balance. For example: Have 2 LX derailers instead of 1 XT and 1 Deore. Or have a deore crank and better bottom bracket instead of a SLX crank and a cheap POS bottom bracket. Wouldn't it even out in price and make a better bike? The higher end stuff here and there are just for show in the bike shop. What good is a XT rear derailer if the front shifter is only Alivio? LOL mabee I should design my own bikes for now on.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
digitalayon said:
yeah I know....I'd just like to have more of a balance. For example: Have 2 LX derailers instead of 1 XT and 1 Deore. Or have a deore crank and better bottom bracket instead of a SLX crank and a cheap POS bottom bracket. Wouldn't it even out in price and make a better bike? The higher end stuff here and there are just for show in the bike shop. What good is a XT rear derailer if the front shifter is only Alivio? LOL mabee I should design my own bikes for now on.
Yup, that's about it.

Bike companies have been slapping good rear derailleurs on cheap bikes since... forever. It allows them to say "Deore XT equipped" or whatever, and is a major marketing technique. Honestly, it has nothing to do with the shop. Write Gary Fisher to complain. When he finishes counting his money, I'm sure he'll write back and apologize.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
1. What does this have to do with a bike shop
2. What does this have to do with the AM forum
3. Why are you complaining about a bike you got for less than half price
4. Why did you buy a complete $525 bike instead of a $2000 bike if you are going to complain about the parts? If the SLX cranks retail for 229, and the RD for another 80, did you really expect the rest of the bike to be up to par?

Seems like lack of attention on buyers part now complaining and blaming it on a bike shop?

·
Registered
7 Posts
gary-sister

Are you serious dude the bike shop probably made one hundred and fifty dollars clear on that bike after shipping and someone building it..counting money.You cant always blame the shops,blame yourself for buying a Gary-Sister.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.