Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in hunterdon county and am looking for a decent bike shop that is not knowledgeable about mtn bikes NOT just road bikes and has a decent inventory. any ideas?

·
Registered
104 Posts
A few suggestions....

Hi Matt,

I noticed you are in Flemington. I assume you have tryed Pete's?

Out near you is Garden State bikes, I know a few of the younger guys there are more MTB oriented. High Gear was also mentioned, but they are more road oriented. And if you were going that way, please stop in here at Efinger Sporting Goodsin Bound Brook. Most of the staff here are MTB oriented, and we recently hired Dustin Farnum (formerly of High Gear) and Chris Scappino (formerly of Somerville Cycles).

Hope this helps....also, check kout the "Bike Shops" forum for some reviews of other shops!

Marc C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey matt, I would check out a few shops in the area, not as a means of wasting your time, but you might find some stores cater towards one sect of the market more than others. Personally, high gear in millburn would be my first choice, marty's has a few guys on staff who ride as well hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cycle Craft's New store in Long Valley

On 513 across from the Brew Pub. We carry Cannondale, Scott, Fsiher and Trek. Plus we are a dealer for Santa Cruz and Turner although we don't stock too much. Our guy Jeff O'hara will guide you to good equipment choices and help you with anything else you need. Jeff is a bout the most hardcore mountain biker you will ever meet!

matt18 said:
i live in hunterdon county and am looking for a decent bike shop that is not knowledgeable about mtn bikes NOT just road bikes and has a decent inventory. any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would definately go check out Clinton Bike Shop. I go there on a regular basis for all of my stuff. Gardner and Rachel are very knowledgable and will be able to help you out with anything.

·
Broken
417 Posts
Cfrone1 said:
Hi Matt,

I noticed you are in Flemington. I assume you have tryed Pete's?

Out near you is Garden State bikes, I know a few of the younger guys there are more MTB oriented.
Even Gary(the owner) is more MTN oriented.

I do like Clinton bikeshop, but they are more oriented to the roadie side of things.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Ibreakthelaw said:
regardless of some peoples opinions,
bike shops are like barber shops, everyone's got their favorite, and most of them are good. it just comes down to what you're looking for and where you live.
lot of truth to this... I find the most important thing about "your fav LBS" is the relationship you have with the staff and their service. i'm perfectly willing to pay a l'il extra for parts and for wrench time at a shop, as long as I feel like I'm getting good service, feel like I'm not getting ripped off after I've left, and can have a laugh or two while i'm there.

if you (the customer) are a sour overdemanding sob, or the owner is a burnt-out angry bastid then someone is going to be dissatisfied in this situation. customers want a fair deal and LBS owners deserve to make an honest living. achive that and its all good.

just my 2c. ymmv ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
monmouth co., wow....

Not in your county but on my way back from Hartshorne I stopped at Peddler in Long Branch, about 5 miles south and they have a couple of those Specialized S works that go for $7100. They have some high end Cannondales too. Cool to see these in person instead of just in the mags. They also have a couple of higher end demo bikes to rent for the weekend. Great idea for those thinking of selling a kidney to get one of these. If I can get around $5500 for my Trek Liquid 20 I might even consider getting one. Any takers? :D

·
East Coast Style
1,373 Posts
um well if ur willing to take a drive to bergen county, id highly recommend campmor on rt 17 north. or if u drive a few hundred feet further, ski barn (where I work) we carry more xc bikes, but we can order u up something if youre interested. Im a freeride/dh'er and i know a lot, so we could prob help u out. But if u wanna see inventory right at the store, campmor has a great selection of bikes for everything. the guys there dont know freeride bikes (grr, ive bee ntrying to get a job there for years so i could be that guy heh), but if u want xc they def know a lot. What kind of bike are u looking for anyway? xc, fr, all mtn, or dh? or urban/dj heh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the help guys...i've seemed to have taking a liking to garden state bicycles on 22 in lebanon as they are a decent shop with good prices and rather knowledgeable staff. they helped me out with my problem and didn't try and sell me something i didn't need.

someone posted about effingers in bound brook...i will never ever step foot in that place again. despite the fact that their "shark" tank is a complete eye-sore and i found myself feeling bad for the 3 foot shark that was swimming/pacing back in forth in the undersized tank, one particular staff member in the bike dept. was rude and can not comprehend the english language and lacks simple social skills that are necessary when working in the retail environment especially in a service environment. very very dissatisfied with this experience and it is a shame to employ people with poor attitudes as it does not reflect highly on your business as a whole.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear....

Hello Matt,

This is Marc C., manager of the bicycle department here at Efinger Sporting Goods. I was dismayed to hear about a less than stellar experience when you stopped in. I am a bit confused as to the comment regarding the english language, among other things. I am very interested in speaking with you so that we can remedy any situation that does not deliver a high level of service to our customers on a consistent basis. Please feel free to call me at (732)-356-0604 (I will be in all day Friday from 9AM to 9PM, except for dinner, and am in all day Sunday as well) or e-mail me directly at [email protected].

As for the shark tank, I am sorry to hear that you found it unpleasant. In fact, many of our customers find it very unusual and exciting. You can be rest assured that the inhabitants of that tank are extremely well cared for and healthy. We have a professional that comes in on a regular basis for tank maintenance and to assess the environment. One reason that we only have 1 shark is that the size of the tank could not handle 2, and we donated one of them to Jenkinsons Aquarium. We have also had visits from the state after some people called them concerned for their welfare, and the inspector was quite impressed with the care and feeding they receive.

In closing, I am glad that you found Garden State helpful. Gary and his crew are very knowledgeable and run a nice shop. That was the first one I had recommended to you in my previous posting, assuming you had already tried Pete's.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you directly.

Marc C.

·
Banned
316 Posts
Oh, I get it... its like the fish forum now, very cool because I have a goldfish - does anyone else? I like sharks, especially when I go swimming. I can unload that shark if it really bothers your customers, a few of the natives in the rainforest are starving and could really use a good meal. Can we talk about dogs next? woof woof

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Matt, you complained about the shark tank but have no issues with the stuffed animals all over the store, the guns or fishing stuff....? Sounds like a weak attempt at an argument. Its a hunting and fishing store as well...get over it. The fish is fine and the State has proven that. The funny thing is that you complain about the lack of english skills from a particular employee yet the group there as a whole is pretty knowledgable on bikes as well as other stuff and are far from rude. They have a great selection, competetive prices on products and killer service prices. High Gear and cycle Craft are also awsome shops which I have even bought stuff at while being employeed by a different bike shop (currently not employeed by any bike shop). A lot of people don't give Efingers a chance and write it off as a "Dicks" or "Sports Authority" but last time I checked those places don't sell carbon Ransoms and Fly bmx frames. Mark was polite in his rebuttal, I tried to be.

·
Banned
316 Posts
matt18 said:
one particular staff member in the bike dept. was rude and can not comprehend the english language and lacks simple social skills
Last thought.... this is NJ, the closest thing to a global village outside of NYC, sounds like you need to polish ur social skills.......move this post to the Alabama page.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.