Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, do I have a retarded local bike shop or what? I had a crank arm that the splines got wallered out so the bike shop ordered another left crank arm for me. I went to pick up the bike today and I was in a hurry so I just paid and loaded the bike in my truck. When I got home with it, i tried to ride it and it feels like I'm on an exercise bike with the tension cranked all the way down. it barely turns like it was over tightened. I tried to loosen the bolt that holds the crank arm on and I ended up taking in the bolt out and the arm is stuck on now. What the heck is going on? Looks like there is a part on the crank that can be machined where it mounts up next to the bearing and it uses a "wave" washer between the bearing and the machined part of the crank. Hope this all makes sense. I'll def. call the bike store tomorrow, but should I be pissed at them for messing my bike up?:madman:

Thanks for any help!!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
What brand of crank, and what model? Is it an external bearing crank or an Isis bottom bracket? What bolt did you remove? Did it take an 8mm allen or a 5mm allen? Was the bolt parallel to the bottom bracket spindle (did it thread into the spindle) or did it pinch the end of the crank arm around the BB spindle?

The "wave" washer is used to preload the bearings on some cranks like FSA external bearing models.

Basically, your question is unanswerable with what you have provided so far. If you took a picture, it would help A LOT.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You need to take it back and ask wtf is with my crank, and have them install it right. It hard to beleive they wouldn't notice this adjusting the dearilleur. Anyway when they get you took care of find a different LBS or better yet get some basic tools and do it yourself. Knowing how to do the basic installs and tuning can enhance the biking experience. IMHO

·
Ibexbiker
181 Posts
Before freaking out I would call the LBS in the morning and explain the situation. Any good bike shop would back up their work 100% and should go out of their way to remedy the situation. Your crank arms are not coming off most likely because you need a crank puller to take them off. Some makes and models do not need this specialty tool, but many do. Take a deep breath before calling the LBS, you'll get a better response if not going in with your guns blazing. If they don't help you out to your satisfaction find a new LBS and buy a book about bicycle maintenance, a stand and a beginner set of tools and learn to do it yourself. I have probably saved close to a thousand bucks in the last 6-7 years by doing all of my own bike maintenance. You invest a couple hundred bucks and it pays you back in a season or two. Especially if you own more than one bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is my crankset.................

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FSA-ALPHA-D...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item588443e516

I'm thinking it's an isis setup. Of course i'm still new to all this. When I went to pick the bike up, the crank arm was still off the bike and the main guy that works on the bikes there had gone home already and an older man put it on, but i was thinking wtf is he doing? He just kept going tighter and tighter and puting all the strength he had in him to put the crank on. I was running so late b/c i had to go to class and just rolled the bike to my truck. Then, to my dismay I still can't ride my bike. :mad:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The crank arms are pushed onto the bb spindle by the bolt you removed. You need a "crank extractor" to pull the arm off- it should not come off by itself, ever. That said, the shop guy may well have reefed down on the bolts so hard that the crank slid up the splined spindle far enough to compress the wave washer against the bb bearings that they are now binding. This would obviously be very bad for the BB if that were the case. If you can definitely eliminate any rubbing issues (like some part of the crank touching some part of the bike frame) and nothing else really changed, then I think you could be annoyed that the shop wasted your time and could have possibly damaged the bottom bracket and the crank arm by over torquing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
lizardking88mph said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is my crankset.................

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FSA-ALPHA-D...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item588443e516

I'm thinking it's an isis setup. Of course i'm still new to all this. When I went to pick the bike up, the crank arm was still off the bike and the main guy that works on the bikes there had gone home already and an older man put it on, but i was thinking wtf is he doing? He just kept going tighter and tighter and puting all the strength he had in him to put the crank on. I was running so late b/c i had to go to class and just rolled the bike to my truck. Then, to my dismay I still can't ride my bike. :mad:
I assume you mean the left crank arm was not attached when you arrived to pick up your bike. The left arm on that crank is intended to be installed to 35-45 nm or around 30 foot pounds. I assume he didn't use a torque wrench and may have gone over the spec. This would cause the bearings to bind and the crank turning problems you are experiencing. Hopefully he didn't put enough force on the crank to damage the bearings. I would bet they're ok. Just take the bike back to the LBS and have the arm taken off and put back on with the proper torque. This is a 2 min. job and they should do it without an appointment and without leaving the bike at the shop. You should be in and out in 5 min. I wouldn't even bother calling. If they won't do it while you wait I'd go elsewhere from now on. I'd also get a torque wrench and do it myself http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=tech&taxid=155 (Click on FSA Alpha Crank Instructions).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.