Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from New Zealand, and will be driving from San Fran to LA, via Vegas, Yosemite etc. I want to stop by some of the cheap bike parts stores like Cambria, JensonUSA, Supergo etc ... but don't know what others there are.

I'm looking to pick up some bits and pieces for road and mountain bike, just whatever I find cheap, as New Zealand prices are generally steep.

So, I've got JensonUSA, Cambria and Supergo on my list .... but what other shops are there that I should call into?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
stillkeen said:
I'm from New Zealand, and will be driving from San Fran to LA, via Vegas, Yosemite etc. I want to stop by some of the cheap bike parts stores like Cambria, JensonUSA, Supergo etc ... but don't know what others there are.

I'm looking to pick up some bits and pieces for road and mountain bike, just whatever I find cheap, as New Zealand prices are generally steep.

So, I've got JensonUSA, Cambria and Supergo on my list .... but what other shops are there that I should call into?

Thanks,

-Chris
Check the SoCal board and there's a sticky with a carp-load of bike shop reviews...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=41941

·
Registered
121 Posts
stillkeen said:
Hmm... Cheap bike parts. Performance stores can go on the same list, though not as big as supergo (as least the one in Mountain View).

Used there's the recyclery (http://www.tripsforkids.org/thrift.htm), it's not big but has older hard-to-find items. Somewhat like perment bike swap but w/o the newer stuff.

There's a lot a great LBS shops but nothing big or cheap like supergo in the SF Area that I'm aware of. Check on the Nor Cal board.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
If part of your trip is a visit to Disneyland then there is a Supergo and a Performance within reasonably close proximity.
Jenson is not so close apparently.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
wheelworld in Culver City..

stillkeen said:

Thanks,

-Chris
In LA.

·
Registered
425 Posts
stillkeen said:
I'm from New Zealand, and will be driving from San Fran to LA, via

Thanks,

-Chris
What I would do is print out each page of the parts/accessary you need from their website (usually with a good discount price than store price), bring in for a price match. Both Performance and Supergo are few miles from my place and I found this method work better than taking chance for their current in-store sale.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm starting to make a bit of a plan up. Its a pain about the 'web specials' and store prices sometimes differing. With any luck I will have a nice big box of cheap parts to send home.

One other thing I am after is some Marzochi fork bushes. In New Zealand the importer has changed, and the new one doesnt know what all the spares are .... so they're useless. Where might a I try to find them in the US?

thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
62 Posts
frankenbike said:
While SF, definitely check out all the bike shops on Stanyan Street near the Haight and Golden Gate Park. American Cyclery is a fantastic shop.

www.americancyclery.com
Check out A Bicycle Odyssey just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Sausalito as well. It's right in the middle of a tourist area, so it's not off the beaten path. It's more of a roadie store than an mtb one, but they have some amazing bicycles on display and are very friendly.

A Bicycle Odyssey

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
success

I ended up only making it to a few bike shops, but still spent up big.

Supergo stores do have fantastic sale/clearance tables:)

Walked away with three carbon road forks, CK headset, seat posts, grips, carbon headset spacers ... and lots more, all for a fraction of the cost back home.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.