Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, and it's a rant.

I'm trying to buy a specific brand and model bike, and it's unbelieveble how hard it is to get these characters to take my money. I have to call over and over to remind them to get a quote for the silly thing. They say they'll call back, but never do. My God, I've contacted dealers as far away as 150 miles trying to come up with a price. It's like pulling teeth. What's the story with these guys? :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a commuter, but that's irrelevant. I suppose you guys buy all your parts online, and assemble them, or upgrade over time. I tried like crazy to buy directly from the manufacturer, but they insisted I work with a dealer. I wrote about my miserable experience, so they suggested I go to a dealer of my choice (one who doesn't handle their particular brand), and they would work together to get a bike in my hands.

Why does it have to be so much trouble? I've never experienced anything like it in my life! :madman:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Took me 8 years and 15 local bike shops to find a good one. Might try asking for help in your area.
Good luck.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Best guess: the shop you first went to is the type that doesn't like to call manufacturers on the phone. Seems stupid, but there you have it. It takes some effort, and is it really worth it? If you try different shops further away, they might be wary of dealing with someone they don't know. I mean, here is someone requesting an order (a rather large one), and if you decide you don't want it after they get it in...

It's always best to deal with the LBS, but you have to find one that is willing to make calls on your behalf. I've been lucky with my experiences.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Seems awfully strange that a Breezer dealer doesn't want to order a Breezer for you. So... what are you leaving out of the story (if anything???)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Queer as hell, ain't it? I'm leaving out nothing. After deciding my thirty year old Raleigh Sports should be put to rest, I settled on a quality replacement. I set about finding a "local shop" to sell one to me, but their closest dealers are 25 to 30 miles away. I finally grabbed a used one from a dealer several cities away, but that was an ordeal in itself!

I'd like a second one, but it's incredible the effort it takes to get these people to get a simple price. I have no idea what the problem is, but I've noticed a common quirkiness among the bunch. Very lackadaisical in their business practices. We're talking a LOT of money for a "simple" bike, but they can't be bothered. I'm stumped...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You need to prove yourself as a worthy customer.

EDIT: and dont come here making a generalized statement about shop owners untill you have some credability, and remove the "road" from your profile.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
"Prove themselves a worthy...

karpiel666 said:

EDIT: and dont come here making a generalized statement about shop owners untill you have some credability, and remove the "road" from your profile.
customer"???? You've got it back asswards bubba. It's the shop that has to prove itself worthy of having a return customer. I've no idea whether he's going in there with an attitude or not, but I've run into many local bike shops that seem to drop the ball on ordering things in a timely manner. I just don't go back. Their loss, not mine.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I agree with fred

fred3 said:
customer"???? You've got it back asswards bubba. It's the shop that has to prove itself worthy of having a return customer. I've no idea whether he's going in there with an attitude or not, but I've run into many local bike shops that seem to drop the ball on ordering things in a timely manner. I just don't go back. Their loss, not mine.
Not sure where karpiel buys his bike stuff, but I would never buy from a shop that made me "prove my worthiness" of spending my money there. The OP was buying a bike that had to be special ordered. They were probably required to put up a hefty down payment, if not payment in full when ordered. This is typical of ordering anything that's a special order, and it's all that is needed to prove "worthiness". Now, if the OP was trying to order this bike without ponying up the cash, then the LBS had every right to decline the business, IMO.

Bob

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Not sure where karpiel buys his bike stuff, but I would never buy from a shop that made me "prove my worthiness" of spending my money there. The OP was buying a bike that had to be special ordered. They were probably required to put up a hefty down payment, if not payment in full when ordered. This is typical of ordering anything that's a special order, and it's all that is needed to prove "worthiness". Now, if the OP was trying to order this bike without ponying up the cash, then the LBS had every right to decline the business, IMO.

Bob
Right? Ive even encountered bike shops that dont wanna do any price quote over the phone before, which is kind of lame. I guess they dont want people shopping around, they want you in there so they can try to convince you that the 1 year old/overstocked model is actually the best one :D Not some very low markup order model ><

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,433 Posts
Is that ass about??

karpiel666 said:
Errr, isn't the bike shop there to SELL bikes to the customer? The customer doesn't rely on the shop for a living after all. The customer has money burning holes in his pocket - presumably the shop should be the one proving they are worthy of those hard earned shekels.

These same shops will grizzle and moan when people get sick of poor service and excuses and buy stuff online.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Ornery said:
It's a commuter, but that's irrelevant. I suppose you guys buy all your parts online, and assemble them, or upgrade over time. I tried like crazy to buy directly from the manufacturer, but they insisted I work with a dealer. I wrote about my miserable experience, so they suggested I go to a dealer of my choice (one who doesn't handle their particular brand), and they would work together to get a bike in my hands.

Why does it have to be so much trouble? I've never experienced anything like it in my life! :madman:
That certainly sounds frustrating. No luck directly from Breezer and nobody in your area who will take the time to make the order. Can you order the Breezer from a Breezer dealer that may not be so near to you who would be willing to deal with you? I don't know the rules, but certainly there are a couple of reputable dealers on the Breezer list who can answer your questions.

I looked briefly at the list and it looks like Breezer works with about 150 or so dealers throughout the US. I checked the list and one of the dealers happens to be a participant here on MTBR.com. His handle is "Sparrow" and he owns and runs Acme Bicycles in Rapid City, SD. Not plugging him just to plug him, but he is a MTBR member and if Tim cannot help you get your Breezer or at least anwer your questions about the difficulty you are having with getting a Breezer - nobody can. Give him a call.

Here's his information from the Breezer website:

Acme Bicycles
4258 Canyon Lake Drive
Rapid City, SD 57702
605-343-9534
http://acmebicycles.com/

You also showed a link from Harris Cyclery in West Newton, MA with the Breezer Uptown 8 you are interested in purchasing. If Harris Cyclery cannot help you either, I don't know who can. They list a price for the complete bike at $849.95. That's probably your ball park figure you will get from just about everybody.

Go to this link and contact them about how you can order a Breezer. Again, if they cannot answer your questions and get you hooked up, I don't know who can.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bikes.html

Two phone calls to make. Acme Bicycles and Harris Cyclery. Let us know what they say to you and if your dilemma has been solved.

BB

·
Registered
482 Posts
Leave it to some jackass with a mohawk and a slipknot shirt to expect me to 'prove' myself as a customer.:rolleyes:

Attitudes like that are the reason so many people have started buying online. Unfortunately, there are a lot of good shops that AREN'T run by pricks that get hurt by this trend. Way to go, seagull.

As for the OP, I'd just stick with one shop and heckle them until I got my friggin' bike. Try to talk to the manager if you can.

·
Registered
217 Posts
karpiel666 said:

That is a bucket of horse turds... with pieces of corn in it.

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
Lucky 7 said:
Leave it to some jackass with a mohawk and a slipknot shirt to expect me to 'prove' myself as a customer.:rolleyes:

Attitudes like that are the reason so many people have started buying online. Unfortunately, there are a lot of good shops that AREN'T run by pricks that get hurt by this trend. Way to go, seagull.

As for the OP, I'd just stick with one shop and heckle them until I got my friggin' bike. Try to talk to the manager if you can.
What do you expect from some okie ******* whose mommy probably won't let him get a drivers license.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I just know from my experience that most shops dont take you seriously unless you are either "one of the guys" or are flashing a wad of money at them. Many times while on trips I have asked to order an unusual part and they just laugh and say that it dosent exist. You just need to find the right shop, unless that is the only shop in your area that carries the bike you want. Then just go in flashing a wad of cash.

Edit: I also apologize to ornery, I dident even remember making that post. Something woke me up and I couldent get back to sleep so I came on, made a couple of posts im regretting then fell back asleep.

·
Registered
242 Posts
karpiel666 said:
I just know from my experience that most shops dont take you seriously unless you are either "one of the guys" or are flashing a wad of money at them. Many times while on trips I have asked to order an unusual part and they just laugh and say that it dosent exist. You just need to find the right shop, unless that is the only shop in your area that carries the bike you want. Then just go in flashing a wad of cash.

Edit: I also apologize to ornery, I dident even remember making that post. Something woke me up and I couldent get back to sleep so I came on, made a couple of posts im regretting then fell back asleep.
Absolute rubbish... maybe it's different in the S.F. bay area, but customers keep shops open, not "bros." I personally don't know a single shop owner that does not want your business (and i know quite a few shop owners.)

If yer having trouble with your local guys, write an email or letter to the owner/ manager and sho online.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts