Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Can anybody recommend their favorite bike shop near Poughkeepsie (Wappingers, Rhinebeck, Hyde Park etc.).

I go to school at Marist (so you know where I'm located) and looking for the goto LBS that is close and knowledge with all things MTB.

My question is: I'm getting a new stem and bars (shorter stem, wider bars) as my first upgrade, and it seems very easy to do by myself, however I am wondering if I should go to a bike shop to get it done - also is it not in best practice to go to a shop with 2 parts I ordered online and pay for them to do the repairs?

How much would a bar and stem replacement run me? Is it worth it just to do it on my own?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey,

I also attend Marist, but I am local (live in Fishkill), I previously worked in a shop and I could help you out if you are interested. If you still want to take it to a shop, you could go to Wheel-N-Heel (Wappingers), or People's Bicycles (Beacon). Shoot me a message if would like my help.

Hey Guys,
Can anybody recommend their favorite bike shop near Poughkeepsie (Wappingers, Rhinebeck, Hyde Park etc.).

I go to school at Marist (so you know where I'm located) and looking for the goto LBS that is close and knowledge with all things MTB.

My question is: I'm getting a new stem and bars (shorter stem, wider bars) as my first upgrade, and it seems very easy to do by myself, however I am wondering if I should go to a bike shop to get it done - also is it not in best practice to go to a shop with 2 parts I ordered online and pay for them to do the repairs?

How much would a bar and stem replacement run me? Is it worth it just to do it on my own?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I go to USMA, and wheel and heel has been great to me. They do a weekly shop ride on Saturdays if you are looking to learn the area trails. the info is usually posted to their Facebook.

Generally it's good practice that if you are going to have a shop do work you buy your parts there, at least thats what I usually try to do. Although a new bar and stem is pretty easy to do. If you tell them what they are doing they'll probably tell you what tools you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey man! Glad to hear it. It's cool seeing another Red Fox on here. I'll shoot you a PM.

Hey,

I also attend Marist, but I am local (live in Fishkill), I previously worked in a shop and I could help you out if you are interested. If you still want to take it to a shop, you could go to Wheel-N-Heel (Wappingers), or People's Bicycles (Beacon). Shoot me a message if would like my help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.