Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my brand new Yeti ASR and since I am so short, I got a small size frame. When I picked up my bike from the shop I noticed a loop in the hydraulic cable right in front of my headset. The LBS told me that this was due to the long cable that comes standard on the Hayes HFX9 since they cannot judge the length of the bike that the brakes are going on. So in essence, Hayes keeps their cables long in order to accomodate larger bikes.

This does not seem to intefere with the braking capability, but aesthetically it is not pleasant. Should I take this back to my LBS and ask them to shorten the cable to an appropriate length? Should I just do it myself? (I just don't want to deal with all the fluid problems eventhough I downloaded the manual from Hayes site.) Do you think in the long-run this will effect the braking capabilities?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
drdrug said:
I just got my brand new Yeti ASR and since I am so short, I got a small size frame. When I picked up my bike from the shop I noticed a loop in the hydraulic cable right in front of my headset. The LBS told me that this was due to the long cable that comes standard on the Hayes HFX9 since they cannot judge the length of the bike that the brakes are going on. So in essence, Hayes keeps their cables long in order to accomodate larger bikes.

This does not seem to intefere with the braking capability, but aesthetically it is not pleasant. Should I take this back to my LBS and ask them to shorten the cable to an appropriate length? Should I just do it myself? (I just don't want to deal with all the fluid problems eventhough I downloaded the manual from Hayes site.) Do you think in the long-run this will effect the braking capabilities?

Any help is much appreciated.
The LBS that built your bike should have shortened the line. They will have to replace the compression bushing (very minor item that they should have in stock) and rebleed the system. No it will not affect your braking performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.