Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I am 17 y/o and I applied to performance. Now I know you guys have opinions on performance and their business, but the one that opened up seems nice. Of course they aren't as nice as the local bike shops, but this store was hiring at the time so...

onto my question: Do I need to dress semi casual? I'm thinking of just walking in with nice polo shirt and jeans. I don't really own any slacks except some black dress slacks.

I figured the bike business was more relaxed (its just a bunch of people who love riding bikes right?), but some people I ask say you should dress better for an interview.

Advice?

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
Dress to kill

You don't need a suit but a nice dress shirt and tie go a long way for first impressions. Look like you want the job. You will be a sales person representing a business. While their dress codes may not be as formal, you only get one chance for a lasting impression.

Couple of other rules

• No jeans.
    No tennishoes
    Shave - if you are old enough
    Groom your hair - cutting is your choice
    Always be respectful of the hiring manager.

If you want this job, you have to stand out from the others. BE PROFESSIONAL

Good luck with the summer job hunt.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Way back in high school, as part of one of our classes, they taught us how to get jobs and such. One thing I do remember is the teacher saying, "even if you are applying to be a garbageman, wear a suit to the interview!"

I don't know if times have changed, but I still feel you need to give a good first impression.

My advice, wear a suit if you have one. If not, wear a nice long sleeved button down collard shirt that has been ironed and a nice tie and slacks. No tennis shoes, but nice dress shoes. Take your resume in on nice paper too (if you have one, I know you're only 17). Too many people just use the plain old printer paper. Make yours stand out!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, as others have said, wear your nice pants, and at the very least a dress shirt, but a tie with that would be nice as well. It is always better to over-dress for the interview, rather than being under-dressed. For any job interview though, the least you would want to be wearing would be shirt, tie and nice pants. As the adage says, you never have a second chance to make a first impression. Go in looking well put together and that will immediately say loads about what kind of person you are...even if you are a complete goober.

I recently went in for coffee with my Dad's boss, as I'm looking to change careers. Asked my dad if I should wear a tie, he told me no, just a golf shirt...as that is all they are TOLD to wear in a very relaxed-professional environment. I tell you, I've never felt as under-dressed for an "interview" as that.

Good luck mate....remember to go in relaxed. Remember, as much as it might be your "dream job" as a 17 year old... it is STILL just a basic job at Performance. Not to belittle your perspective job, but just make sure you don't over think the job, go in relaxed and you'll ace the interview.

Good luck!

Tim

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sullycanpara said:
Good luck mate....remember to go in relaxed. Remember, as much as it might be your "dream job" as a 17 year old... it is STILL just a basic job at Performance. Not to belittle your perspective job, but just make sure you don't over think the job, go in relaxed and you'll ace the interview.
This is good advice. Relax. I don't know how your Performance bike works, but the one by me seems to hire just about anyone. Last time I was there they didn't even know what a skewer was and would not check the inventory of an item I wanted even when I told them they were a 40 minute drive from me and I would not be happy if said item was not in stock. Luckily it was.

If I were hiring someone to work at a bike shop and they wore a suit, I would be a bit weirded out truthfully. A shirt with a collar and decent pants will be fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been in the bike industry for 9 years, including 4 different bike shops, one of which was a very large shop in a major metro area. I've never worn anything but jeans and a nice shirt tucked in for an interview. Honestly, in almost every other circumstance dressing up is the way to go, but don't overdress for a bike shop. A suit would probably get you laughed at. Khakis and a polo are a good choice if you have the khakis. If not, nice jeans (ie: no holes) is more then likely just fine. Only when I went "corporate" did I actually dress up for a interview in the bike industry and even then I only did nice slacks and a dress shirt, no suit. I got the job so it must have been ok :)

Then again this is Performance, so they may appreciate dressing up more then a regular local shop.

·
old school
43 Posts
taikuodo said:
Yeah, I am 17 y/o and I applied to performance.
What job are you applying for there? Retail/sales floor, bike mechanic, call center, warehouse monkey...?

I was always taught to dress for the position you aspire to, not the one you have now or even the one you're applying for. Assuming this would be a retail gig in a store, I don't know that a suit would be necessary, but I would most definately wear a collared shirt (tucked in), some nice pants (no jeans), and shoes (no birks, sandals, etc.) at a minimum. A tie and a sport jacket couldn't hurt. :thumbsup:

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
polo + khakis should be fine. when i was a manager at a movie theater, i had to interview/help hire tons of high school students. the ones we hired were the ones who were the most relaxed and showed the most intelligence/ability to learn. we all but openly mocked anyone who wore more than a shirt and tie(very few did this), most showed up in t-shirts and jeans, which was mostly okay, unless they looked disheveled/unwashed. the clothes help but for a bike shop job, attitude and willingness to learn is most of it.

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
It's a bike shop -- show up in full biking kit! Shaved legs, spandex, helmet, the works. Show 'em you're dedicated to the sport!

All kidding aside, khakis and a polo will be fine. I didn't wear a suit when I had applied and worked at Performance, and neither did anyone else I worked with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.