Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1-year old excellent condition mountain bike. The seller took it to a bike shop for packing and the shop put two decent sized paint chips in the aluminum seat stays while packing the bike. :madman:

They bike shop has offered to refund the packing fee. As far as I'm concerned they owes him/me the cost of professionally repainting the rear triangle.

I know it's a mountain bike and I could just ride it. But the bike is now worth a lot less if I want to resell it.

What would you do?

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,416 Posts
Honestly, I would take the refund on packaging costs, buy a bottle of nail polish in the closest color I can find, touch it up and ride it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
How does someone create large chips in a mountain bike's paint while packing it?

I don't know what they owe you, but I'm pretty sure that you're not going to get a professionally repainted rear triangle for your used mountain bike. If it was your local shop that REALLLLLY valued you as a customer maybe, but even then I think they'd be more likely to give you some sort of other compensation.

How much do you really think this affects the resale of a two owner mountain bike?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Exactly. It won’t be the last paint chip that bike will see if it is actually ridden. Yes it sucks big time. I think the 2 options are take the refund on the packing or get your money back and find another bike.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already paid so I think there's an argument that I already own the bike. And this is between me and the bike shop. It certainly wasn't the sellers fault.

If you take your 2 year old car to a mechanic and he puts a dent in the side, he doesn't say "it's a old car, stop whining". He covers the cost of fixing it.

Maybe it won't impact resale as much as I'm thinking it will.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,416 Posts
I'm both a "car guy" and a bike guy. I wouldn't equate the two.

Yeah, it sucks that they did that, but take what they're offering and go put your own chips in the paint. You'll forget about it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm both a "car guy" and a bike guy. I wouldn't equate the two.

Yeah, it sucks that they did that, but take what they're offering and go put your own chips in the paint. You'll forget about it.
I agree. There aren't any 'bike body shops' around and I guess the equivalent would be forcing the shop to buy new rear triangle/stays. If this were a road bike I'd probably take a more aggressive measure. If I felt this way about a mt bike then maybe mountain biking wouldn't be the right hobby for me.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Honestly, I would take the refund on packaging costs, buy a bottle of nail polish in the closest color I can find, touch it up and ride it.
Solid advice, paint is entirely cosmetic. Go get some nail polish or perhaps take the bike to a auto paint shop so you can get an exact match. A small tube of automotive paint would be expensive at around $40, but it will likely be tougher and an exact match. Take the shipping refund and put it towards the paint and bike stuff. I get you're annoyed. I get that way too. I have a bike that I put a small dent in the top tube before I finished building it. It still bugs me a little, but it's only cosmetic. I never look at it and it's never been an issue while riding. Also, if you are buying the bike as a monetary investment to partially pay for your next bike.... good luck.

Just go ride it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the packing refund plus a little more from the seller because he feels he can extort more of a discount on his next bike purchase from that shop.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I took the packing refund plus a little more from the seller because he feels he can extort more of a discount on his next bike purchase from that shop.
Sounds like a win-win. The first few chips, even on a used bike, suck... But very quickly you stop counting. I remember the days when my new bikes would stay in the house for a month before being relegated to the garage. :)

Also for the record, I've sold a lot of my bikes over the years and always say 'shows the usual signs of wear, photos are included of the worst spots.' I always think it's going to be a big deal and it has literally never come up. People know what to expect from a used mountain bike - if it doesn't affect performance who cares?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
If you're planning to actually ride it and keep it for a few years, a chip or two on the rear triangle will have a negligible impact on how much you'll get for the bike when you're done with it.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
Accidents happen.....the shop stepped up to take responsibility....offered a refund on service.

Honestly, if you ride it like it is intended to be ridden, it is going to get scratches and chips.....stop worrying about resale value. You bought a used bike, if you sell it, then it will be a multi owner used bike. You will take more of hit because of that.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Accidents happen.....the shop stepped up to take responsibility....offered a refund on service.
The more I think about it, in theory the shop should still have charged for the service since they did pack the bike... But they should be responsible for the cost of the damage they caused. As we've all noted that's probably pretty minimal. Most shops charge ~$100 to box a bike, I think that actually may have exceeded the cost of the damage.

Nit picking I know, but what else are internet forums for?

I work at a shop and in some very rare cases we have damaged paint on bikes other than MTBs, where paint is more of a concern, and we have sent them out to be touched up at our expense. I think that'd be a little nutty for an MTB though. (I used the plural because I'd guess this has happened more than once, but I am only aware of one instance.)

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,416 Posts
A good thing about having an anodized black mountain bike... One word: Sharpie.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So you physically saw the bike in person, live and saw no chips in the paint? If you did not see the bike live and note no paint chips etc, who's to say the seller did not show you old photos of the bike before it got chipped by him and then try to pass it off as the shops fault?

I already paid so I think there's an argument that I already own the bike. And this is between me and the bike shop. It certainly wasn't the sellers fault.

If you take your 2 year old car to a mechanic and he puts a dent in the side, he doesn't say "it's a old car, stop whining". He covers the cost of fixing it.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
You can get a Honda touch up paint bottle for less than $20, and it comes with a clear coat. If you post a pick I can do my best to provide a paint code that comes close.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you physically saw the bike in person, live and saw no chips in the paint? If you did not see the bike live and note no paint chips etc, who's to say the seller did not show you old photos of the bike before it got chipped by him and then try to pass it off as the shops fault?
No, I didn't see. It's possible he lied. I was tempted to call the bike shop and confirm his story, but given the resolution we came to I decided to let it go and move on.

I'm surprised at the degree to which people are OK with bike shops damaging bikes and not being responsible to fix it just because they might get dented in use anyway. Cosmetic condition might not matter to some, but that's not the bike shop's decision to make. It's the owner's.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
Sounds like a shady deal to begin with and most likely the owner is SOL, take the free packaging offer and move on with it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So curiosity got the best of me. I decided to call the bike shop to ask if they really did damage the bike.

Turns out the seller *is* the bike shop. He works there.

No wonder he was so graciously willing to spend money himself to resolve the problem without involving the bike shop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts