Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my headset taken out for warranty work, and in place was put in a temporary beater one. The bike shop right off the bat started screwing up. They overhauled this beater bottom cup when I told them that wasn't necessary. I ended up having to pay for that. They never called back when i was asking about status. Eventually I expressed how i felt. The headset returned, and they never called me about it. Finally when I call yet again they tell me oh yes its been here for a week now. The service was terrible and I believe the mechanics were unhappy with me since I gave them a hard time due to their incompetence. They had take apart that section of my bike twice, since then it hasnt been touched. I havent ridden the bike much, i got busy with work and school and my bike needed a brake bleed. Before finals I took it in to another shop to get it done, this was probably 3 or 4 weeks after I had gotten the bike back. When I go to get it the mechanic says its all good except that there's something restricting the turning toward the left. I asked them to take it appart and look at it. I saw them take it apart and the shock on his face. The steerer tube had a huge gash on on, and the inside of the headtube was looking the same. We both heard something drop, sure enough it was a bearing that fit the groves on the fork. The idiots at the other bike shop either left a bearing in there, or purposely did so since I didnt make things easy for them earlier. Time has passed, I've been to devastated to deal with the problem. I never took the bike home that day. Today I am going to pick it up and take it back to the shop that had worked on my headset. I was curious if any of you have an sugestions as far as handling this situation with this bikeshop. What should I say/do. Should i be calm or aggressive? I really don't know what to do. I just want my bike frame and fork fixed/replaced so that I can ride once again, its been to long and I can't afford to by a new bike, it took enough to get that one alone.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I would bet that this is most likley a mechanic's error - most less-experienced mechanics are not used to loose-ball headsets as nearly everything is cartridge. Still, they should have felt the restriction when the bike was assembled again, and fixed it!

For one, I would approach the OWNER of the shop that you feel did this damage and tell him what you experienced, and what has happened to your bike. I would politely and firmly ask for them to cover the cost of fixing your bike - the fork uppers/steerer assy' should be replaced, and see if you can have another dealer honestly tell you whether the inside of the headtube is damaged enough to require replacement. Perhaps see if the Mfr Rep can look at it (don't tell him one of his dealers did the damage!) and tell you whether or not it will affect replacement warranty. If he says it will not, ask to get that in writing, so you can have it if should warranty be required later. If he says it will affect warranty, then ask the dealer that did the damage that your frame be replaced. If you cannot get to the owner of the shop, or if he/she does communicate directly with you, but does not resolve the problem, then I would not only contact the BBB but also let everyone on the board know which shop did this.

Even a good mechanic can make a mistake. Summer gets rushed in many shops, and sometimes with interruptions things get missed. Not an excuse that this should be passed over, but if your past experience with the shop has been good, this could just be a "one particular mechanic/situation" issue. It can be hard to get good mechanics and have them stay on board - most are going to school and get their degrees and on to another career. See how the shop resolves it before you decide to bail on them. A good shop/owner will take care of you. Hope that is your case!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
ATBScott said:
I would bet that this is most likley a mechanic's error - most less-experienced mechanics are not used to loose-ball headsets as nearly everything is cartridge. Still, they should have felt the restriction when the bike was assembled again, and fixed it!

For one, I would approach the OWNER of the shop that you feel did this damage and tell him what you experienced, and what has happened to your bike. I would politely and firmly ask for them to cover the cost of fixing your bike - the fork uppers/steerer assy' should be replaced, and see if you can have another dealer honestly tell you whether the inside of the headtube is damaged enough to require replacement. Perhaps see if the Mfr Rep can look at it (don't tell him one of his dealers did the damage!) and tell you whether or not it will affect replacement warranty. If he says it will not, ask to get that in writing, so you can have it if should warranty be required later. If he says it will affect warranty, then ask the dealer that did the damage that your frame be replaced. If you cannot get to the owner of the shop, or if he/she does communicate directly with you, but does not resolve the problem, then I would not only contact the BBB but also let everyone on the board know which shop did this.

Even a good mechanic can make a mistake. Summer gets rushed in many shops, and sometimes with interruptions things get missed. Not an excuse that this should be passed over, but if your past experience with the shop has been good, this could just be a "one particular mechanic/situation" issue. It can be hard to get good mechanics and have them stay on board - most are going to school and get their degrees and on to another career. See how the shop resolves it before you decide to bail on them. A good shop/owner will take care of you. Hope that is your case!
I recently had a shop install the whole bearing retainer cage upside down. When it didn't work right, they said I needed a new headset!

They weren't too Sharp. Well actually they were Sharp, but .... that's what you get when you let someone else work on your bike!

·
Registered
446 Posts
That sucks.

Like mentioned before, keep your cool, but be firm. You will get farther that way than activing like a raving drunk at the drive through. Take pictures of everything for your records. Be prepared to ask questions and for them to ask you some too. For instance, you may want to ask them why they didn't mention any damage to your headset/fork, when they were working on it. Since there were some gashes when you got it back.

Be careful if they do work on it that you inspect it and ride it immediately. You don't want to find egg salad stuffed down your seat tube 3 weeks later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sounds like Family Cycle Center on Meridian Avenue in San Jose.

Took my Bullit in there to get a headset installed. Get a call back from them saying they can't do it because they spotted a crack in my headtube. I say "No way!" because me and my engineer friend looked that frame over from top to bottom before purchasing the frame, and we know enough when buying a used frame to look at the potential damage spots.

The headset I gave them to install, by the way, was brand new in the box. I get to the shop and examine the crack. Sure enough, there is a crack. It's so big and obvious that, in a word, they were telling both me and my friend that we were both blind and have no idea what we're doing.

I am about to grab my stuff and head out the door when something tells me to simply open the box and pull out the headset.

In broad daylight, 180 degrees apart, are two light scuffs on the headset cup.

"I thought you said you called me as soon as you spotted the crack in my headtube."

"I did."

"Then why did you attempt to install the headset?"

"Huh?"

I show him the scuffs on the headset...

The older gentleman, who is obviously the owner, turns to the younger kid in the back, who was the one who was working on my frame.

"Hey, did you try to install this?"

"Huh? Ummm, no! I told you it was cracked already!!!!"

I grabbed my stuff and walked out of there because it was my word versus the words of two very obvious liars. Fortunately, the guy I bought the frame from was cooperative and he helped me get a replacement from Santa Cruz. I had to pay a little bit more, but I just wanted to get things rolling. This was about 5 years ago, but after that I bought my own tools and now do all my repairs myself when I can. When things go wrong, it's a lot easier to look in the mirror than at someone lying straight to your face as they take your money.

I must be doing something right, since my rotors are still on the same side as my straight-laced spokes...

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Biking Brazilian said:
Sounds like Family Cycle Center on Meridian Avenue in San Jose.

Took my Bullit in there to get a headset installed. Get a call back from them saying they can't do it because they spotted a crack in my headtube. I say "No way!" because me and my engineer friend looked that frame over from top to bottom before purchasing the frame, and we know enough when buying a used frame to look at the potential damage spots.

The headset I gave them to install, by the way, was brand new in the box. I get to the shop and examine the crack. Sure enough, there is a crack. It's so big and obvious that, in a word, they were telling both me and my friend that we were both blind and have no idea what we're doing.

I am about to grab my stuff and head out the door when something tells me to simply open the box and pull out the headset.

In broad daylight, 180 degrees apart, are two light scuffs on the headset cup.

"I thought you said you called me as soon as you spotted the crack in my headtube."

"I did."

"Then why did you attempt to install the headset?"

"Huh?"

I show him the scuffs on the headset...

The older gentleman, who is obviously the owner, turns to the younger kid in the back, who was the one who was working on my frame.

"Hey, did you try to install this?"

"Huh? Ummm, no! I told you it was cracked already!!!!"

I grabbed my stuff and walked out of there because it was my word versus the words of two very obvious liars. Fortunately, the guy I bought the frame from was cooperative and he helped me get a replacement from Santa Cruz. I had to pay a little bit more, but I just wanted to get things rolling. This was about 5 years ago, but after that I bought my own tools and now do all my repairs myself when I can. When things go wrong, it's a lot easier to look in the mirror then at someone lying straight to your face as they take your money. And I must be doing something right since my rotors are still on the same side as my straight-laced spokes...
That screems for small claims court!

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Uncle Rico said:
Be careful if they do work on it that you inspect it and ride it immediately. You don't want to find egg salad stuffed down your seat tube 3 weeks later.
That was you? Man, I'm sorry. but those crazy questions you were asking drove me over the edge. I'm on medication now and have only made a few beer bath forks since then. Sorry again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
That screems for small claims court!
On the surface, yes. But unfortunately 2 Liars = 1 Truth.

The only saving grace I might have had was a set of photos I took of the frame the day I bought it. It was 2002 and $500 at the time bought me a whopping 1.5MP camera; I couldn't enhance the image enough to show that the affected area was damage-free before taking it in.

To paraphrase Howard Stern, "F Timmy and his rotting corpse!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talas

so the bike shop is going to deduct the cost of repair from the purchase of a new fork at the wholesale price. I like the deal and instead of getting a new vanilla I was looking to the talas. Any big guys riding that in Santa cruz. I'm at 230 right now and am concerned with its durability verse a coil shock. I ride pretty much Santa teresa 85% of the time but love going to Santa cruz to have some crazy fun

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
If you are going this route, see if you can get a Rockshox Pike 454 Air U-Turn. You'll have to go to a 20mm thru-axle hub, but the fork is light, stiff and the absorption is more plush than the Fox. I have a TALAS on one bike (and I do like it) but the Pike on the other bike is another step above - and was less money!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.