Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my hamstrings get hit alot harder on my FS compared to my SS. I figure my riding position must be different. Any advice on what to do? I think my seat is to far back in respect to the crank. Please help.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I copied this from someone on here (sorry, don't know who!)

try this:

Sit on your bike with your cranks parallel to the ground. Use a plumb line and hold it against the little protruding bone just below your kneecap. The line should drop down to the center line of the pedal's axle. You can adjust your seat fore & aft to get this fit correct.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Don't mean to be a d!ck, but KOPS is really not a good method of finding your best saddle position. Read Keith Bontrager's rant on the subject:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

OP: hitting your hamstrings more may be an indication that you are sitting back on thebike a bit more. I have the same experience on my FS bike. I set my bikes up exactly the same (same stem length, same distance between the saddle and bars, same saddle height) and I still find I have a more rearward weight bias on the FS. Not surprising, since it has 6.5" of travel, and bikes in that travel range tend to have a more rearward weight bias, for good reason.

Start by looking at the difference in STAs on your two bikes. Is the STA on the FS bike slacker? Is it more difficult to pedal out of the saddle? If the answer to both questions is yes, you can change that slightly by bringing the saddle forward.

But the contratian in me says it is no big deal, really. So what if one bike has a more rearward weight bias and you work your hammies more? It is not necessarily an indicator of an improper setup. Look at the bright side . . . you'll be getting a good hamstring workout. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.