Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got an expensive cruiser to commute to school, downtown shopping, and bar hopping. I need the most secure way to lock up my bike! I've been doing alot of research and found the most secure way to lock up a bike in public is to use a 16mm chain. The UK seems to be the only company that supplies these thick case hardened chains. Does anyone else know of anyone in the USA that makes these type of chains? Or have any suggestions of ways to secure a bicycle in a public place? I live in the 5th highest rated city for bicycle theft in the USA. I would rather spend the money on a crop proof chain than regret not spending enough.

What is everyones solution to this problem?! Have you had any thefts and what were you using to lock your bike up with?

Here are the chains im looking at. I know they are heavy, but I will carry a bicycle luggage rack with a ammo box holding my chain and lock. I just hate that I need to order these from the UK and pay the crazy shipping costs! Does anyone have any experience with these chains or know any other options? Thanks.

Almax Immobiliser Series III
All Products --- Almax Security Chains Ltd

Pragmasis Protector 16mm Chain
Security Products

I was looking at smaller chains at first, but after seeing these videos I want to resist all but the most proffessional criminals, and their power tools. You would think these thefts would be done privately, or if it was done in the open someone would stop them, but NO!!

Then here is a forum I found these videos on and other info and videos....
MY GUIDE: Bike Security (Copyright ©) - Pinkbike Forum

<object width='500' height='281'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/266500/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/266500/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='281' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/266500/'>Gone in 60 secs Parts 1 & 2 (LETS FIGHT BIKE CRIME)</a> on <a href='http://www.pinkbike.com'>Pinkbike</a></p>

·
Registered
110 Posts
See what your local hardware store has - you might be surprised ;).
I bought a 4 ft long chain that's about 1/2 inch thick and a decent masterlock (case hardened) from one in my town. It is rather bulky, but it definitely does its job - you'd need very large bolt cutters to even attempt at breaking it.
If you can, register your bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Home Depot sells masterlock metal ropes that come in different thicknesses or lenghts and they have a loop at the end so that you can use any lock you like. I bought a pretty hefty one and 2 rubberized locks to go with it.

Don't get to comfortable thinking that no one will be able to steal it though, since at the end of the day it all comes down which item will yield the greatest profit for the least amount of work to a thief.

Main reason why I never buy a real expensive bike and the reason I bought a folder for those day where I'm just not comfortable enough leaving it outside.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Home Depot sells masterlock metal ropes that come in different thicknesses or lenghts and they have a loop at the end so that you can use any lock you like. I bought a pretty hefty one and 2 rubberized locks to go with it.

Don't get to comfortable thinking that no one will be able to steal it though, since at the end of the day it all comes down which item will yield the greatest profit for the least amount of work to a thief.

Main reason why I never buy a real expensive bike and the reason I bought a folder for those day where I'm just not comfortable enough leaving it outside.
Yeah - I almost forgot about Home Depot!
And you are right about that - there is no such thing as a "thief-proof" lock. All the jerk needs is time and the right tools.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The options from home depot or lowes are easy for someone to cut through. If you watch those videos, it takes a few seconds for someone to cut those and no one cares....

That kryptonite new york legend chain is pretty big at 15mm, but I read a review on it and its made with lead and has a warning to wash your hands after handling the chain. Thats not practical for me!

Ive narrowed down to a Zena XUL310, which is a 18mm u-lock with a 110db alarm. To lock my front wheel to the frame along with a XSU210 to lock my rear wheel to the frame.

Bullett-Lock Alarms

Then a 16mm chain. Lockitt.com Protector 16mm High Security Hardened Boron Steel chain - 6.5' (2m) length

Im going to put them all in a ammo box on a luggage rack. Hopefully, the theives will just walk away. I am commuting with my 36er cruiser, as you can see in the middle. Compared to my road bike and 29er mountain bike, my bike isnt inconspicuous!

Attachments

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
I've been doing alot of research and found the most secure way to lock up a bike in public is to use a 16mm chain. The UK seems to be the only company that supplies these thick case hardened chains. Does anyone else know of anyone in the USA that makes these type of chains?

I just hate that I need to order these from the UK and pay the crazy shipping costs! Does anyone have any experience with these chains or know any other options?
Hardened chain isn`t cheap, and you`re talking about some really big gauge stock. I was told offhand that every time we change out the 20 ft or so of 3/8 hardened chain in one of our cylinder hoists at work it costs over US1200. You can try companies specializing in hoists or rigging, like this one:
Rigging.com: Chain Sling Basket
16mm is roughly 5/8 inch. If that really is industrial grade hardened chain, good luck geting it for less than the price in your links.
(links, haha!)

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
A portable angle grinder will go through pretty much anything, including a hardened chain? So I've got the mentality that I can't possibly stop all thieves, but I can try to stop most of them. Rather than going for a big chain I've got one of the mini u-locks and a cable for my wheels. That puts me ahead of most bikes out there, but if I was super-concerned I would maybe add a second u-lock.

It might also be worth taking a look at the tigrlock. They're very pricey, but they sure seem more convenient than a chain or a large ulock. My main concern with the tigr is that it's basically brand new, so there hasn't been much time for bad reviews to surface. The demos on their website are impressive, though (while acknowledging that no lock is unbreakable):

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That titanium bike lock is interesting, Im surprised those large bolt cutters wont cut it. Maybe a smaller set of bolt cutters would have less clearance between the jaws and cut it easily.

I just got my cruiser primarily for commuting, but now Im thinking it was a bad idea :( I may have to get a cheap bike for that.

I like this product that tracks your bike if if detects movement and will send you a text message and update its location. This might be my best investment, if all my security devices fail. I may have a chance of recovering it. For $160 shipped, it seems like a reasonable price for piece of mind.

Motorcycle and Bicycle GPS Trackers - Products

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ not sure if you saw it, but the TiGR folks have another video focussed more on boltcutters: John attacks the TiGr with bolt cutters (again), tin snips, and a car jack - YouTube

I'm pretty sure I'll get one eventually, but am kind of waiting for them to be out in the wild for a bit first.
I saw that video, he didn't try to cut the bars horizontally with the different size bolt cutters. I bet cable cutters would cut right through that without slipping. Also a theif would just stick a crowbar or 2x4 through the lock and just twist is until that lock on the back pops off or fatigues the metal to failure. There needs to be a video of someone other than the own company testing this product.

Cable cutters like this which are small enough to conceal and carry could cut that no problem, and it wont slip out. I don't think you can beat brute thickness and hardness.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,728 Posts
I like the TiGR locks. last I heard, cable cutters like the ones above were not standard equipment for bike thieves. availability of a tool like that is not exactly as widespread as standard bolt cutters, which absolutely are standard equipment for all but the laziest of bike thieves who go for unlocked bikes.

I'm more curious how an angle grinder would fare on the TiGR.

oh, but he did that.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
There needs to be a video of someone other than the own company testing this product.
I definitely agree.

When they were first launching it they had a kickstarter site, and several people complained about the testing methods shown in the videos. The response was that of course they'd tried other stuff too, but there was never anything beyond that. And if you watch Using the TiGr lock - YouTube! it shows locking a bike to a parking meter...even though it sure seems like you should be able to lift the whole thing up and over the meter. But they also said that it's not a problem, but I don't think there was any follow up.

Either way, it has been available for about 6 months now, and I can't find any negative reviews, but I'm still not convinced.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That titanium bike lock is interesting, Im surprised those large bolt cutters wont cut it. Maybe a smaller set of bolt cutters would have less clearance between the jaws and cut it easily.

I just got my cruiser primarily for commuting, but now Im thinking it was a bad idea :( I may have to get a cheap bike for that.

I like this product that tracks your bike if if detects movement and will send you a text message and update its location. This might be my best investment, if all my security devices fail. I may have a chance of recovering it. For $160 shipped, it seems like a reasonable price for piece of mind.

Motorcycle and Bicycle GPS Trackers - Products
I agree. But believe me, it wasn't so much a bad idea. I've seen pretty cheap bikes get stolen where I live.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,728 Posts
I definitely agree.

When they were first launching it they had a kickstarter site, and several people complained about the testing methods shown in the videos. The response was that of course they'd tried other stuff too, but there was never anything beyond that. And if you watch Using the TiGr lock - YouTube! it shows locking a bike to a parking meter...even though it sure seems like you should be able to lift the whole thing up and over the meter. But they also said that it's not a problem, but I don't think there was any follow up.

Either way, it has been available for about 6 months now, and I can't find any negative reviews, but I'm still not convinced.
It's not flawless. Certainly you can get through it if you had an angle grinder or a hacksaw (and enough time). I am curious about the lock core, though. The Ti bow seems a design improvement, at least a fairly significant one against bolt cutters. Maybe less so against other methods.

But what if you attacked the lock core? He mentions something about it being resistant to bumping and picking, but those are only a couple of methods. What about freezing and smashing? What about drilling? Is it any kind of improvement in those areas? It better be for how much the thing costs. Someone will eventually get their hands on some to do some independent destructive testing, I expect. I don't have that kind of budget, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. But believe me, it wasn't so much a bad idea. I've seen pretty cheap bikes get stolen where I live.
Im ording that tracker as soon as I hear back from them that their 23.5 model will fit well in my 25mm headtube. I ordered 3 Xena U-locks today and will order a almax chain when I can call them in the UK. Id rather go over kill than be sorry later.

I would like to know what titanium alloy TiGr uses, that way we could compare the yield strength to tempered steel alloys. I wouldn't mind buying a piece of that titanium and giving it my own tests. The titanium will be lighter weight, but I think its more of a gimmic. I think if they actually made some lighter U-locks with comparable thickness made of titanium, that would be a great idea! But this was designed by a guy in his garage with limited tools and manufacturing processes.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^^ The only testing they need is parking a good bike in a high bike crime area, and maybe a video camera.
I'm a bit surprised that there don't seem to be any reports of someone having their tigr cracked and their bike stolen. The total number of tigrs out there must still be pretty low, but I'm surprised that some bike thief somewhere hasn't seen it as a challenge, and defeated one just to prove a point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So Im going to register my bikes online for just the slim chance it will help if I need it. I found this page that discusses all the options available.

Registering your bike

One of the links on there is to Bike Shepherd - Bike Registration and Stolen Bike Alert which is pretty informative! You can view real thefts that are in your area, including a map with location, the time it occured, and in some cases how they broke through the security. The more you know about the thieves in your area, the more you can be a step ahead of most.

Heres another site I found that wasnt mentioned on that other link. stolenbicycleregistry.com
Its a free resource to register and track stolen bicycles.

Also this site you can register for free and get free QR scan stickers like bikeshepard's.
BikeGuard™: The Free Bike Registry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts