Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to be moving out of this hell hole, I mean away from my parents, up to tahoe with in the next six months. Its about time. Ill be moving up with a friend whos, lets say less appreciative of my $4000 DH bike than I am and overlooks things like locking the door behind him when he leaves.

Basically I dont trust the fact that he'll lock the door behind him when he leaves and Im not around.

So what kind of security options do I have for keeping my bike in the apartment?
For securing the bike, other than locking the door and making sure its locked.
I need more piece of mind then that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
put a lock on your bedroom door and keep it locked in the room

or if you have a storage shed at the apt, keep it locked in that.

oh, and get renters insurance so that in case something does happen, you can be covered under that

·
Happy when not-last.
221 Posts
You can spend $20 and get a web cam. You can also probably find free software that will capture pictures on motion detection. Leave it on whenever you're not around... provided there's a computer in that room.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
BFinlay said:
put a lock on your bedroom door and keep it locked in the room

oh, and get renters insurance so that in case something does happen, you can be covered under that
If you're going to lock the bedroom, better make sure it's a secure deadbolt. If your place gets robbed, they'll easily bust open the door. Thieves will see a locked door as an enterance to something valuable.

:thumbsup: on renters insurace. Make sure it has theft coverage and full NEW replacement value. You don't want depreciated value replacement. The other benefit is if there's a fire you'll be covered too. Keep photos and records of the bike specs.

Get a lawyer just in case you need to sue your roomates a$$ since he'd be at fault for not locking the door.

·
OTTer
46 Posts
Rig the front door up so that it closes itself on a spring, clicking shut. (inform your flatmate that its a weak lock & needs the second one locked as well) That'll be your first line of defense....

atm im just locking bikes to each other (hardly ideal) - but then i dont have $4Ks worth!

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Take pictures of the bike and make sure you get the condition it is in. This will help out with insurance claims since most people outside of the biking community probably find it hard to believe that there are bikes that cost more than $1000.

If you can, wall mount a U hook or something into the stud wall and chain the bike to that when you are away. The thicker the better. +1 on dead bolting your bedroom door. Might sound stupid to explain to ppl but better safe then sorry.

·
Danarchy.
107 Posts
I'm actually in a similar situation. I'm heading back to college (I'll be in a dorm) this September and I will be bringing my bike as well. I've thought about everything I can do and so far I will probably use my cable and lock to secure it to my bed so just in case anyone breaks in they'll have a Hell of a hard time getting my bike. Maybe you can do something similar.

·
Registered
555 Posts
build a secret compartment(say in a closet or something) paint it up with a hidden door, throw all your dirty undies and other disgusting objects in front of the door hiding it completely....problem solved....................lol..............but serioulsy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.