Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i also noted that, and have to say that one of the reasons why I am looking into the Intense T275 as an option for the Burner, is that they have a build kit with RockShox-based suspension (Pike/Monarch), instead of the Fox only option from Turner atm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Of course, but that will stress my budget quite a bit, and not enable me to build the bike soon. So I am having a hard time deciding between whether or not to go for the Burner with DW-link which I feel might be a better solution for climbing and allround, or the Intense which looks more promising for descending, has a better build kit and offers stuff like routing for stealth dropper post, but I suspect is a little less efficient in the climbs.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Of course, but that will stress my budget quite a bit, and not enable me to build the bike soon. So I am having a hard time deciding between whether or not to go for the Burner with DW-link which I feel might be a better solution for climbing and allround, or the Intense which looks more promising for descending, has a better build kit and offers stuff like routing for stealth dropper post, but I suspect is a little less efficient in the climbs.
Having owned both suspension types I agree, specifically if you're into rooty/rocky climbs (and descents). Each has a slight advantage and disadvantage. But my VPP was an old 5.5...so I've been out of touch with VPP for a long time. The other thing to consider is frame sizing, I've no idea how the two compare.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Given the reviews it's getting it seems surprising, and unfortunate, that the pike isn't a more common OEM item, just about every bike I see for sale has Fox 34's as standard.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I've had both the current gen VPP as well as Turner's and others DW links. I don't think the VPP is less efficient at climbing but feels different. There is some pedal feedback inherent in the design most notable when climbing. On descending the VPP is quite nice, if not slightly more plush than the DW. But these are only my subjective reviews. Each rider's experience is different and much depends on your riding style and how you handle the bike, which effects bike feel as well.

The Pike is one of the best riding air forks I've ever ridden as is most of RS's products of late.

As always, the best way to tell what you'll like is to ride them both.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Given the reviews it's getting it seems surprising, and unfortunate, that the pike isn't a more common OEM item, just about every bike I see for sale has Fox 34's as standard.
I think the Pike costs a lot more, which might limits its availability. The Pike seems like the first Mag 21, Manitou 4, the bomber Z-1, and the first 36 Fox - a game changer type fork.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts