Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't look at the bike reviews that often, so excuse me if this is a dumb question;

why are the reviews so outdated? I just looked up the Specialized Epic Comp, and the most recent review was from October of '08. Is it the bike? Or are the "reviews" on Mountain Bike Reviews just not popular anymore?

:confused:

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Well...

johnb said:
I don't look at the bike reviews that often, so excuse me if this is a dumb question;

why are the reviews so outdated? I just looked up the Specialized Epic Comp, and the most recent review was from October of '08. Is it the bike? Or are the "reviews" on Mountain Bike Reviews just not popular anymore?

:confused:
The reviews are provided by the members. So no one here has provided a review since 10/08.

Personally, I don't find the reviews helpful. They are comprised mostly of fanboys who are in love with their most recent purchase. There are exceptions of course, but I find far more value in the opinions of the people who are on the forums.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
That's a good point. Most of the reviews I've looked at were almost orgasmic in the descriptions of the wonderful bike/component the reviewer has had for a week.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken in KC said:
Personally, I don't find the reviews helpful. They are comprised mostly of fanboys who are in love with their most recent purchase. There are exceptions of course, but I find far more value in the opinions of the people who are on the forums.
Ok... works for me.

Anyone have the '10 Comp? The rear suspension design is totally different. Is good climber? How does this new rear suspension compare to the previous design?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
And a good part of the reason riders don't use the review section is, last I checked, a request had to be emailed into an admin to get an item added befor a review could even be composed.

The review part of MTBR doesn't stand for review anymore in the strictest since. perhaps it never did.

The review just means I think the recounting of mtb stories/events/musings... ala passion forum.

At least that's how I look at it now.

If I want a review I'll check a mag then go check the bike out in person.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tools are tools. Use them all so you can get the most knowledge possible. Just remember at the end of the day, it you that will ride to the bike (or do what ever).

It is hard to read them because somebody will review a bike poorly because of a poor build by a mechanic or will review a bike excellent because they went from a mid 90's tank to a modern stay rocket ship and simply do not know better. Personally I waited 200 miles or so before reviewing my bike. I figured that will give me time to really tell everybody something about the bike. I should go back and add detail as I added more and more miles.

I say, find what you like. Read Reviews. Go to a specific section, ask questions and talk to your local bike shop and get there thoughts. Try before you buy whenever possible. Don't take any knowledge for granted.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
You need to know how to use them

I have referred to the reviews lately and have pretty good idea whether someone is worth reading or not. I think the comment about fan boys (these fenders rock!) is accurate. I think whiners (these grips suck!) ought to go in there too. The greatest asset of these reviews is that they cannot be bought by commercial interest as a magazine might be. It is a two edged sword, though, as amateur reviews can suffer from self-justification or very limited skills.

Actually the forums are little different but at least there you can recognize valued contributors with which you have shared ideas before. I depend on my relationships in the community for the most solid information but I include MTBR in that community for sure.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.