Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people talk about repainting bikes using the powder coating process.

Let's say you have a bike that was previously powder coated from the factory, has a lot of nicks and chips, and you want to freshen it up.

Could you not have it done by an auto body shop? The paint could be applied in the thinnest layer possible. Of course you wouldn't get the best results possible painting over the old paint, but it wouldn't look bad.

Just asking because I know a body shop that would practically do this for free for me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Rusty Steel

I have an old steel Trek 930 frame that I would like to repaint. It has alittle rust showing through the paint. Would it be worth it to strip and paint it or are the signs of rust the kiss of death?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikenut316 said:
I have an old steel Trek 930 frame that I would like to repaint. It has alittle rust showing through the paint. Would it be worth it to strip and paint it or are the signs of rust the kiss of death?
It'll continue to rust under the new paint unless all the rust is sanded/cut off the frame.

I personally would toss a frame with any rust.

·
Registered
657 Posts
mkiv808 said:
A lot of people talk about repainting bikes using the powder coating process.

Let's say you have a bike that was previously powder coated from the factory, has a lot of nicks and chips, and you want to freshen it up.

Could you not have it done by an auto body shop? The paint could be applied in the thinnest layer possible. Of course you wouldn't get the best results possible painting over the old paint, but it wouldn't look bad.

Just asking because I know a body shop that would practically do this for free for me.
I'm afraid it would look bad. Paint hides nothing. If there are nicks and chips they will still be very visible. Painting (or re-painting) is only as good as the surface preparation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnpat said:
I'm afraid it would look bad. Paint hides nothing. If there are nicks and chips they will still be very visible. Painting (or re-painting) is only as good as the surface preparation.
I know sanding is a bad idea on aluminum frame, how about using a chemical stripper to remove the old paint?

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i think a fella here (the guy that put up the link about how to do full cable runs with heatshrink tubing) used aircraft remover (that's the name of the product) to strip the paint from his aluminum bike. i used it on my steel frame and it works like a champ....but it is caustic as heck. be sure to read the safety data on it.

i think he then just polished the frame, though i can't remember for sure. i'm sure there is someone out there that could anodize it for you....

oh...i bought my aircraft remover at an automotive paint store, but you can find it a lot of auto parts stores....like pep boys if you have near you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
mkiv808 said:
I know sanding is a bad idea on aluminum frame, how about using a chemical stripper to remove the old paint?
Sorry but I don't know for sure, I have only refinished steel frames and parts.

I would suspect some easy sanding is not going to hurt an aluminum frame. If you really want to get out on the cheap, you could do some filling of the chips with some automotive body filler and sand that smooth before painting.

If it is a bike you really like and intend to keep for a long time, I would be inclined to strip the paint completely and do proper surface preparation before having it painted. Otherwise fill the chips and paint the bike with a spray can yourself (practice on something other than your bike first).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
mkiv808 said:
chem stripping is a nasty mess, and then you'd have to prime it properly before painting again.
Sounds like you've got an alu frame, so for easiest and best looking results, fill the holes/chips (I like a sandable 2 part epoxy), sand to smooth and take it to yer autoshop buddy. wet paint isn't terribly durable, but if it's cheap, go for it.
I had a local powder coater do a media blast & 1 color of whatever they had going for well under $100... just make sure they know what to mask before painting.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
bikenut316 said:
a little rust is no problem, but you'll need to sand it enough to get rid of all the rust.
I did this last yr w/ an old lugged 750. It took a coupla hours with dremel & power drill w/ sanding attachments.. that rust had migrated a lot under the paint, but it wasn't really bad. I then cleaned properly & repainted w/ a rattlecan job.

for small rust at paint chips, I'll either sand lightly or use a dab of rust converter and then touch up the paint (rustoleum, model paint or even just some nail polish). The 750's paint was in bad shape (actually a really bad rattle can job over the original powdercoat) w/ lots of rust spots, so I knew it was gonna be a project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.