Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, need a bit of advice from people who have done this in the past. Looking to set up a few bikes to rent out to visitors to my island because of popular request, but really haven't got a clue what the normal rates are. Looking to setup HTs with component spec in the LX/XT range and just wanted an idea of what's fair to charge for a day and for extended, say 10-14 day rentals? Thanks for any feedback/help given.

·
beater
6,102 Posts
I'd recommend looking at some of the websites for destination-area bike shops, and then adjusting accordingly. Poison Spider in Moab, for example.

The shop here charges something like $45/day for a rental, but they're not really in the rental business. It's more of a try-before-you-buy deposit that they take off the purchase price.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, 'preciate it. Although Poison Spider only seems to have FS for MTBs, it gave me a good idea depending on what sort of part spec a bike has and proves my thinking wasn't off by much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hope I am not giving away my profound stupidity here, but I rented a FS rig from a shop in Escondido, CA for $100/day. I felt that it was (way) too expensive, but they were the only shop I could find in the San Diego area that would rent me a decent bike (Felt Virtue, I think). Everywhere else was beach cruisers.

BTW - maintain your rentals. I was sorely disappointed at the condition of the bike they rented to me. The chain was so short it wouldn't shift into the big ring from even the small cog, and the shock had very little air in it (had to buy a new chain, broke the original, and the rear suspension was bottoming out... I didn't have a shock pump with me).

-Ryan

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
+1 on garthhog.

I would pay a premium to get a bike that was well maintained, nothing worse than spending a lot of money to rent a good bike then something doesn't work on it. Worst one is chainslip due to worn cassette.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, right now it's just basically my bikes I'm loaning out or friends bikes I'm borrowing to help visitors be able to MTB on our island and see it's beauty. My bikes are of course all XLs and very decent spec IMHO and I have one 18" frame that I've managed to make fit a range of sizes, but I am working on getting a full range of bikes, 1 each of every size to start and see how it goes from there. Can't keep borrowing friends bikes to loan to people and well to be frankly honest although things are slow for me and I enjoy showing people about and riding with them, all that doesn't put food on the table so I have to start figuring out rates and such.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Lynx....check this out...

I know you like to head to Colorado. The past few years the trails have been getting fantastic in Jamaica.

Hope to meet you one day. The festival starts next week.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This year for sure I'm out because right now sick as a dog and broke as the US banking system . Those trails look very sweet in that vid, what was the deal with the Kiwis coming and building trails? Wish I could get some of the riders to come out and help fix, build trails with me :(

YaMon said:
I know you like to head to Colorado. The past few years the trails have been getting fantastic in Jamaica.

Hope to meet you one day. The festival starts next week.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No unless you are a billionaire......

I have to be very careful what I write.......did you see the helicopter pad and the 3 story house in the video ?? The guy that is building this has a crew (15??) of Kiwis rotating through Jamaica, Mexico, Chile, New Zealand and Portugal building world class trails, There are guys from Canada as well. He has bought thousands of acres in the Blue Mtns and cutting trails with machines, it is incredible to see. Every year the Festival gets to use their trails. This year will be 2 days and they are putting on a private concert on the night in between.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, that sounds like a dream. Must be nice being able to ride them, if even only once a year. Any idea what his plans are for them? Didn't see anything exiting in terms of going up though and lots of flowy going down, not much in the way of tech and that's really what I enjoy - slow tech :D But I'd suffer to ride them ;)

YaMon said:
I have to be very careful what I write.......did you see the helicopter pad and the 3 story house in the video ?? The guy that is building this has a crew (15??) of Kiwis rotating through Jamaica, Mexico, Chile, New Zealand and Portugal building world class trails, There are guys from Canada as well. He has bought thousands of acres in the Blue Mtns and cutting trails with machines, it is incredible to see. Every year the Festival gets to use their trails. This year will be 2 days and they are putting on a private concert on the night in between.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Techy Stuff

Don't worry, lots of techy stuff...just not in the video. Plus if you come to the Fatta Tire Festival you will be driven all over the island to many secret spots we have discovered over the past few years. go to:

www.smorba.com to see what the festival is all about and see videos from last year.

YaMon.

BTW - The trails are far from being finished, last I heard there was at least 2 years of work still to go and they just picked up anopther 500 acres on the adjoining mountain. The whole trail network is private, you must be invited to use them. Must be nice to be a billionaire....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts