Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I tried posting this message in the Western Canada forum without response, so maybe some recent travelers (or residents) can point me in the right direction.

I'll be heading to Calgary for the first week of July to see some family. I'm from Ottawa, so naturally the prospect of riding real mountains is a must-do. I won't be able to bring my bike, so I was hoping I could find a place to rent one. For my xc ride, I'm using an intense tracer, but don't expect to find something like that to rent - I would like something decent though.

Anybody here familiar with Canmore area bike rentals and trail recommendations??

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I can help you out a bit.

Overkill said:
Hey guys,

I tried posting this message in the Western Canada forum without response, so maybe some recent travelers (or residents) can point me in the right direction.

I'll be heading to Calgary for the first week of July to see some family. I'm from Ottawa, so naturally the prospect of riding real mountains is a must-do. I won't be able to bring my bike, so I was hoping I could find a place to rent one. For my xc ride, I'm using an intense tracer, but don't expect to find something like that to rent - I would like something decent though.

Anybody here familiar with Canmore area bike rentals and trail recommendations??
I would recommend renting from Calgary because that is where you are leaving from anyways. There is actually some pretty decent inner city single track also. The University of Calgary and Sports rent in Calgary rent mountainbikes and both locales are on the way to the mountains in the North west of Calgary. There are places to rent bikes in Banff and Canmore as well. I listed a few links to get you started.

There are literally hundreds of trails within an hour of Calgary and you dont have to go right to Canmore to access them. If you do go to Canmore, I recommend the Benchlands trail system. Backcountry biking in the Canadian Rockies is a good book that gives good descriptions and location of most of the trails around Calgary and Canmore.

If you can only do one trail, then JUMPING POUND RIDGE is it. It is rated as one of the premier trails in North America and is less than an hour from Calgary. It is an amazing trail that has lots of technical climbing which gets rewarded with spectacular ridge riding and several kms of single track downhill riding. Lots of switchbacks up and down. It is the best trail I have ever ridden to date. Yes, that includes British Columbia trails.

Moose Packers is another "must ride trail" that is very close to Calgary. Moosepackers is a xc trail that is fun up and down with challenging sections.

The Powder face trail system is also close to Calgary and has epic single track as well.

If you get sick of the relatives, you can sneak away for a ride and be back before dinner. I consider these trails to be epic in nature, but they can be completed in a few hours or less depending on fitness, and riding ability. Many people will do Moosepackers and parts of Powderface after work from Calgary. It stays light out past 9pm so no worries if you leave for a ride in the afternoon.

Good luck.

P.S. You should really try to bring your Tracer because some of the riding is pretty technical with long climbs and having a bike that you are used to riding is a bonus. Especially a good climbing bike like the tracer. Not that you wont have a blast if you have to rent a bike.

http://www.sportsrent.ca/
http://www.kin.ucalgary.ca/campusrec/pdf/opc/rentals.pdf
http://www.gearupsport.com/

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ronny. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll only be Calgary for 3 days, then heading to Tofino for a few days. I'll definitely take your recommendations on the "must do" trails, and see how many I can do. There's a fine line between riding and visiting. You don't want them to know the real reasons for the trip...

I really wish I could bring my main ride, as like you said, it would be nice to have that familiarity on the technical sections.

I'll post pics when I get back.

Thanks again.

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
For rental bikes you'd actually want to ride I'd try Rebound Cycle in Canmore. They rent mid range Trek Fuels and Liquids and also some Rocky Mountains, the Switch I think. Better bikes than most other rental places.
www.reboundcycle.com

Three days in the Rockies, eh? First suggestion would be to pick up the Bible, Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies by Doug Eastcott. Definitely do Jumpingingpound/Cox Hill as mentioned by Ronny, but save it for day 3. I'd probably recomend Lake Minnewanka for your first day, gives you a chance to see a bit of Banff plus it offers a less elevation gain compared to most everything else around here. Gives you a chance to aclimatize to the altitude. Day 2, so many options... Probably suggest Jewel Pass/Prairie View and Baldy Pass. Two seperate loops but you can do both from the Barrier Lake day use area.

I think these three rides would give you a good mix of the trails in the area and all are easy to get to from Calgary.

The Benchlands in Canmore is great riding but you kind of need a local to show you around the first couple of times, it is a total maze up there. There is also going to be some closures this summer up there and the Nordic Centre.

Other good rides as mentioned are Moosepackers and Powderface Pass/Powderface Ridge/Prairie Creek. Pretty close to Calgary and it shows, lots of wear but still great riding. Little Elbow/Big Elbow is more fireroad but does get you into some spectacular backcountry. Stoney Squaw in Banff is short and fun, a good one to do if you still have some jam after Minnewanka. Moraine Lake Trail between Lake Louise and Moraine Lake and the Valley of the Ten Peaks (old $20 bill) is spectacular if it is open, usually closes mid-July due to grizzly bears.

Hope this helps you out a bit.
G

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was going to suggest Miniwanka but Skogan beat me to it...

The main 3 areas near Calgary to ride are Bragg Creek/Sibbald, Jumping pound is a great ride in that area. Kananaskis, Praire View / Jewel Pass is easily my favorite ride in that valley, if not around here. I know JP is awesome, but Jewel was my first ride on a full suspension... And Miniwanka is a really great ride out by Banff, awesome rolling single track along the side of the lake.

Let me know when your in town, maybe I can join you for a ride!

Scott

PS If your renting a bike, bring your pedals!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.