Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in Phoenix around the holiday. I've shipped my bike out in the past, but I'm thinking of saving the hassle and renting when I get out there. Any suggestions on a shop that rents a pretty good XC/All Mt. set up. I'll bring my shoes and pedals of course. Thanks for your help.

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
We are currently visiting the area to ride and had the same problem when BA lost one of the bikes on the way. It was a real struggle to find a rental and the best we could do after a lot of phoning was a rather basic hardtail from Tempe Cycles. It was used on National and was far from ideal. Bring your own if you can.

·
Downhill Spokesmodel
543 Posts
Try Action Bike

Cactus is a good choice. You might also try Action Bicycles and Jet Ski Rentals 3860 E Main St Mesa, AZ 85205 480 - 325 - 3888 ...
Byron Hopkins is a cool guy and he rents several different KHS models.
Tell him James from Town & Country Motorsports sent you.
Hope you enjoy your trip to AZ.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Here ya go

I haven't done business with this company, but I've heard good things about them, and I think they take care of their equipment. Give them a call.

http://www.azoutbackadventures.com/bikes/index.html

Tommy

VT_SNGLTRK said:
I'm going to be in Phoenix around the holiday. I've shipped my bike out in the past, but I'm thinking of saving the hassle and renting when I get out there. Any suggestions on a shop that rents a pretty good XC/All Mt. set up. I'll bring my shoes and pedals of course. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
VT_SNGLTRK said:
Thanks for all of the help. I'll be the whitest white guy at South Mt. Haven't seen sun here in Vermont for quite a while!
I'lle raise you ten bucks on the whitest guy at SM :D , I'lle be hanging around there from the 20th till the 30th.

I'me coming from northern British Columbia and wouldent mind a few riding buddies, if anyones interested just PM me!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got back...

I just came back from phoenix today. I was there on business and had no idea I would have time to ride. I opted out of a golf tournament to ride and it was well worth it. I rode the Desert Classic trail. Won't get into detail on the ride here though, I'll stay on subject.

My resort hooked me up with Cactus Bike and I was really happy. The owner came to pick me up and took me to the shop to outfit me. I didn't bring anything with me, but they did a great job of hooking me up with some cheap gloves for the days ride and a decent bike. I went with the cheapest full suspension option, but if I had it to do over again I would have gone with their higher end hard tail. They actually suggested that, but I didn't listen. Fish (the great head mechanic) made sure the bike was totally tuned to my weight and size and did a perfect job. The best part was that I rode right back to my resort and dropped my bike off with the front desk. Totally hassle free, and I thought pretty cheap: with the purchase of a map and gloves the whole days expense was $102.00.

Anyway, I would recommend them highly to anyone visiting the area.

Thanks Cactus,

Big Perm :thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
What I'm struggling with is I'm at Scottsdale/Shea and want to ride SoMo at the crack on Fri (6/13) am. I can't get down 'there' to rent on Th (no one's open that early) and there aren't any shops near me in Scottsdale...

Help

G

·
ssorgs said:
What I'm struggling with is I'm at Scottsdale/Shea and want to ride SoMo at the crack on Fri (6/13) am. I can't get down 'there' to rent on Th (no one's open that early) and there aren't any shops near me in Scottsdale...

Help
Call Cactus Bike, they are about a mile from the trailhead at 48th ST for SoMo. They may be willing to work something out for you to pick up the bike at the end of the day Thursday so you can ride early Friday. They are usually good about stuff like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ssorgs said:

Help
Some shops will rent for the day. I don't know if that means 24 hour period or by close of business, probably depends on the shop. Regardless, I'd suggest making arrangements to pick up a bike Thursday and have it back by Friday. Your closest bike rental to Scottsdale and Shea is Arizona Outback Adventures (AOA). I've dealt with them before. They're nice guys.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I re-read my post and it was a little vague. Basically, I couldn't easily get down to SoMo area late on Th and F was too early. I did have to go to the airport to pick up my wife at 4 and did suggest I could pick up a bike then and return by opening on F, but both Cactus and SMC were still going to be full-day at $100 and $75, respectively. SMC was more of a demo and scare me off by noting that 'if anything happens to the bike I'd be responsible...' Guess I appreciate hearing that upfront. Also, they didn't have a helmet for me (see below).

Ended up renting an 08 Mojo(!) from Bicycle Showcase very near my folks' home at Scottsdale and Shea. Tim is the new owner since April and they seem to have turned it up over there. They were very cool and let me pick up the bike on Th eve for F am return as a 1/2 day for $50. And, only thing I didn't bother to pack was a helmet and Tim loaned me his.

I know it's kinda late now, but I'll be out on Natl Trail tomorrow (6/13) by 7a latest on a nude Mojo...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cactus Bike Rocks

I have been in Phoenix now for 3 weeks and have rented from Cactus Bike on Ellison off of Highway 10 near Guadalupe Village.

I had no reason to go elsewhere as they are good people, who care about bikes and do a good job renting them out both to die-hard enthusiasts and beginners I'd say.

BTW I went up to Sedona one weekend and had a TOTALLY NAFF time as the first BUNCH OF ZEEBERS at "Mountain Bike Heaven" had obviously smoked too many reefers the night before and FORGOT TO OPEN THE DARNG BIKE SHOP on Sunday morning.
I was reduced to renting a ROAD BIKE from Bike and Bean as it was raining and they are worried about trail erosion. Whaaattt ? Maybe explain that before some sucker drives 2.5 hours to get to Sedona. And anyway, I am not much of a hydrologist or whatever -ist but I figure erosion is pretty much a natural part of the freaking desert ecosystem so what difference is a couple of freaking moutain bikes going to make for chrissakes ? And if anyone is really serious about being an eco warrier why not nuke all the horrendous strip mall you've built all along Sedona valley for a start ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.