Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i live in San Luis Obispo and was originally a cross country runner, but i ended up hurting my knee and started mt biking for excersize. Now im in love with mt biking. In September i will be moving up to UCSB to start school and i intend to continue biking.
I'am 5' 7" 130 pounds and looking for a lightweight hardtail bike that climbs like a mt goat. I guess i do mostly xc rides but i dont completely understand the different classifications of mt biking. I enjoy downhill but i love fairly technical uphill. It is kinda like running but therirs skill invlolved. I'am hoping that i can get a bike that i could also put skinny tires on and keep up with my dad on his road bike. I dont necessarly need something that is racing quality but i like to do extremely long rides so the lighter the father i will be able to go in one day. I have been riding a crappy diamondback the last couple of months.

What i am looking for:
Durable Lightweight hartail with good solid components.
Best climbing bike for the $!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think i could dig up about $1000 for a bike.

Bikes i have seriously considered:
Gary fisher big sur
Klein Attitude V ( if i can find a deal)
felt rxc

other possibilities:
Ibex torphy comp
Raleigh Talus
specialized stuntjumper
fet rxc

Whats the best for climbing?
Any other bikes i should consider?

Ryan

P.S i signed the santa barbara petition and will be at the meeting.

G

·
Probably can't build it up cheap enough for you budget... but my Niner SIR9 is a great hardtail. Hangers for geared or SS.

29er is the way to go for climbing! :)

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Suggestions: Trek Fuel or Santa Cruz Blur.
Consider a used bike.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
buy a nice used bike......might want to look into a full suspension bike.....w/shock technology now days....you can get a FS that feels like a hardtail when pedaling and has some cushion on the bumbs......your back will appreciate it

·
berzerker
1,330 Posts
giant xtc and Kona aluminum frames on e-bay for about $300 or less. Look for a used bike on e-bay. You should be able to build a sub 23 pound bike with $1k.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
I'd say look at a used Giant NRS. Best compromise between a hardtail and a FS. Still one of the best Race full suspension bikes made.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
If you are going to take the other posters' advice and buy a full suspension, then I'd recommend the Giant NRS 2 used. Ive been riding it for more than a year and its great on climbs but a bit sketchy on fast downhills.

But if I were you I'd go with a hardtail to get the best bike for the money. If you went with an fs you'd have to compensate weight and component quality for the rear suspension. And from my experience, hardtails feel more solid anyway, and especially on the NRS, the suspension does not make that big of a difference on downhills, which is where it should helping the most.

So I'd say if you like climbing as much as I do, then go with a hardtail for now. better technologies are on their way anyways, so you might as well wait a few years to get your first fs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I' am defenitely open to the possibility of a cross country full suspension like the giant nrs 2, if i can find a good used one. I think im going to do some searching around my area and see what kind of used bikes show up. I'll post any bikes that look promising and see what you guys think. thanks for the suggestions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts