Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride exclusively tight twisty singletrack with lots of roots. Very quick steep climbs (like less than 20-30') with same descents and small drops. No desire to race or become a downhill rider. Just wanting to have fun. Which Trek bike best fits this style of riding? I am 6'4" with a 36" measured inseam so an XL or XXL is a must. Was considerint Tallboy but this may be overkill for the style of riding I do. Also, I may be riding the bike 2-3 miles on pavement to get to the trail heads. Lastly, old (49) and brittle (neck issues) so full suspension is a must!!!! Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'd look into the Fuel. 140/130 travel do all trail bike should be fine for what you describe.

On wheel size, the 29 would provide really nice rollover on the roots, but it may not be as nimble on tight twisty trails.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. 27.5" isn't an option I am going to consider. Every single rider I see on the trails I ride is on 29 and they fly through they trails so they must be ok for corners. Does the Fuel have a longer travel version?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel EX 8 looks like an option in XXL. At 220lbs the suspension design may be better than that of the SJ? Anyone do extensive comparison between the 2?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the Slash is the longer travel 29er trail bike for Trek. Like most manufacturers, they have different spec setups depending on your budget.

If you are willing to consider other brands, I really like the new Stumpjumper Evo, Giant Trance X and Trance, YT Jeffsey, Yeti SB130, and Canyon Spectral. Check online reviews for all of them I say and then try to test ride the ones that interest you most. I just went through a similar search and ended up with a Stumpy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Fuel Ex was among the finalists though and a lot of my choice had to do with availability and getting the nicest bike I could for my money. I am extremely happy with my new bike and have no regrets thus far.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I am not looking for any longer travel than the Fuel EX or SJ offer - 130/140 is already more than I probably need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks. I am not looking for any longer travel than the Fuel EX or SJ offer - 130/140 is already more than I probably need.
No problem. Those are two great options then. Giant's Trance 29 falls in that same category as does the YT Izzo and Canyon Neuron. All great bikes in my opinion. The bike in that category I actually hear people rave about the most is the Ibis Ripley honestly. People love that thing. I haven't tried one, so I can't say whether you (or I) would though. At the end of the day, you ultimately just have to figure out which bike you like more. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. There are folks out there that love each of these bikes and will try to convince you that you just have to go with their favorite model, but my perspective is that there really isn't one objectively "better" bike amongst groups like these. It often comes down to how you feel on each one and what you prioritize and are willing to sacrifice. I love my Stumpy, but someone else probably loves their Fuel Ex just as much....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks. 27.5" isn't an option I am going to consider. Every single rider I see on the trails I ride is on 29 and they fly through they trails so they must be ok for corners. Does the Fuel have a longer travel version?
Fuel EX 8 looks like an option in XXL. At 220lbs the suspension design may be better than that of the SJ? Anyone do extensive comparison between the 2?
I’m 230 pounds on a Fezzari Abajo Peak 130/140 29er. I don’t have experience on either of the bikes you’re looking at.

But, here’s what I know. I don’t feel the suspension isn’t enough for my weight. I feel strongly that any quality bike in this category is going to be similar. I live in Phoenix, we don’t have roots, but we have lots of rocky trails, 29” wheels are so much faster. My Abajo with the 29ers handles twist and turns extremely well. It took me some time to learn how to weight this bike, but now I know it and it’s fine. Also we have similar up downs here too. I feel the suspension bob on those punchy climbs where you don’t have time to get into a low gear and sit and climb. If I had more travel it would be even worse.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I ride exclusively tight twisty singletrack with lots of roots. Very quick steep climbs (like less than 20-30') with same descents and small drops. No desire to race or become a downhill rider. Just wanting to have fun. Which Trek bike best fits this style of riding? I am 6'4" with a 36" measured inseam so an XL or XXL is a must. Was considerint Tallboy but this may be overkill for the style of riding I do. Also, I may be riding the bike 2-3 miles on pavement to get to the trail heads. Lastly, old (49) and brittle (neck issues) so full suspension is a must!!!! Thanks!!!!
im 6'3 and ride a xl remedy. it is a great technical climber, and a high bb for minimizing pedal strikes

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Based on your initial post, I think you'd love the Fuel EX. At your size, I'd go XXL aluminum frame.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Fuel EX 8 is looking very promising...right price range, right geometry, NOT boutique, lots of local support...I know I won't be getting an XXL for a while due to backlog....couple questions....any concerns with stock forks and shock for 210-220lb rider? I have already been thru custom builds and upgraditis - no desire to spend another $1000 on forks and shock...if they aren't solid I will cross the bike off the list. I want a solid build that doesn't weigh a ton and can be tossed on a bike rack, beat like a red headed step child, put away and done again. And now, what about SRAM vs. XT on the 8. All my mtn bikes have had XT/XTR and my current road bike has old SRAM RED. Both solid.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The Fox 34 might be a bit wimpy for you size. Depends on your riding level, type of riding, etc., so you might consider getting your LBS to upgrade to a 36 at time of purchase for a reasonable upcharge.

I'd go XT, given the choice. The ex-racer in me is still a bit annoyed by SRAM's 42-50t jump between first and second gear, so the new 42-52t jump sounds horrible. XT is 45-51t IIRC.

But honestly, you might be best off grabbing whatever one is available the soonest.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Fox 34 might be a bit wimpy for you size. Depends on your riding level, type of riding, etc., so you might consider getting your LBS to upgrade to a 36 at time of purchase for a reasonable upcharge.

I'd go XT, given the choice. The ex-racer in me is still a bit annoyed by SRAM's 42-50t jump between first and second gear, so the new 42-52t jump sounds horrible. XT is 45-51t IIRC.

But honestly, you might be best off grabbing whatever one is available the soonest.
Thanks. I was a little concerned about that...I rode a Fox Talas 100mm for 6 years and am not on a Reba and both have held up fine. I have actually read the 34 is pretty robust and may even provide a slightly smoother suspension over the 36......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...my LBS is bringing in an XXL Trek EX 8 XT from the warehouse....will be available for me to test in a day or 2....unfortunately only a parking lot test. They also said they would consider an upgrade to Fox 36 but there will be an issue with availability of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts