Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Interesting read, see how he goes with it over time, some of his info is a little off, could have done his research a little better! HL wasn't dropped last year [dropped in 06! TNT, been in the range for 3 years! [ picky I know but it's an online e-mag this info is 101 and should be accurate, Journo's are so slack these days!]

They've always used a four bar design based on the infamous Horst Link, but last year's bike took a plunge and ditched this link, turning the bikes in to single pivot, linkage activated designs. Much to the dismay of many a Turner fan. Was it done to save money? Was the licensing fee to Specialized for the link that expensive? Was he preparing fans for the chance around the corner?
Same with his cable routing, not that Ive been the biggest fan to date, plus without seeing it in person I refrain from being nit picky, sometimes until you've owned a setup it's hard to know the quirks or benefits! Something I found out with the older style which I'm still a fan of.

I would like to have a crack at routing it myself sometime, but any setup is usually botched up by lack of a plan and he dosen't seem to have thought out his very well, running his disc brake cable inside the chain stay will be interesting to see how long that lasts, maybe there's clearance but in crap all sorts of things can get jammed in there and rubbed against not good for your brake cable!

Again a bit of on the phone research here would have confirmed another unique turner feature listening to your customer requests, consensus that led to the cable route change driven by loyal customers, still not sure I'm used to it yet, but hey when I do I'm in for the hard line!

Still how hard is it to pick up a phone and do some one on one questioning with the company concerned at least to get there facts in order, I loose a fair bit of interest in articles when info is incorrect or misinformed on anything regardless of brand! especially online, why I have no time for MBA pretty much only read Dirt as a credible source these day's opinions are fine but then voice them that way, not as fact!

Rest of specc is um not sure of wheels but well lets see look a bit GHEY to me, I like CBs eggs and Mallets still but that its rest is too next American next top model for me!

So he's going to re route all the cables under the TT wonder how he's going to get these down the stays I suppose down the seat stays, um lots of zip ties, wow hes knows best I guess, looks over function, he's lost me already especially when no one else has seen it as an issue in real world actual riding!

I am interested to see how he stacks it up against the 5.5 knowing how he likes that..
Though unless specc is ultimately exactly the same totally subjective!

Just my random thoughts on the article its not negative from his part hes brought up some points just how realitive I dunno if he'd checked more thoroughly we'll see in the long term, be very interesting!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,891 Posts
I hope those "pimp a$$" wheels hold up better than the CB "pimp a$$" pedals, pumps, cranks, and other parts....

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I would never trust the opinion of anyone who left the end of a zip tie as ragged as that and claimed to be anal about details. Ever hear of straight edge wire cutters? And - complaints about the ugly zip ties and cable routing when you have a freaking sh!t catcher rubber banded to your down tube? Please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Tough crowd, ah? :D

Anyway, I find it surprising that after all that write-up about fancy wheels and low-stack headsets the guy didn't even take the bike for a spin in the parking lot ...

·
Registered
778 Posts
cutthroat said:
I would never trust the opinion of anyone who left the end of a zip tie as ragged as that and claimed to be anal about details. Ever hear of straight edge wire cutters? And - complaints about the ugly zip ties and cable routing when you have a freaking sh!t catcher rubber banded to your down tube? Please.
Lots of riders fit those crudcatchers in the UK,the rubber bands don't tend to scratch the frame!He has made a bit of a mess with his cables,but i don't like the down tube set up anyway!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
looks like they cut those ties with a rock and the cable routing interpretation is a complete swing and a miss. that batter should be sent down to the minors. pretty irresponsible reporting of the facts overall and unfortunately, bound to turn off some buyers. who wants a bike where the housing rubs on the shock and tire? it might serve dt well to post up a routing page as done in the past or include a cheat sheet with the frame.

and while im bytching, that low stack headset sure looks like its not pressed in all the way. i guess im a bit blown away much like nyb to not see a ride report after all the trouble and expense bike radar went to to build a bike with a bunch of off the radar parts for a on line mag. is that thing plugged in or just there to impress the pilots durring a walking tour?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts