Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a roof rack for a Isuzu Rodeo. So far, I have looked at the King Cobra and Viper (both by Yakima). Any suggestions or advice? Does anyone think that a fork mount would be easier to get on and off the roof of an SUV or would the King Cobra be easier to mount and remove?

If anyone knows of some good deals or other racks that are just as good for a better price please let me know.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
I am looking for a roof rack for a Isuzu Rodeo. So far, I have looked at the King Cobra and Viper (both by Yakima). Any suggestions or advice? Does anyone think that a fork mount would be easier to get on and off the roof of an SUV or would the King Cobra be easier to mount and remove?

If anyone knows of some good deals or other racks that are just as good for a better price please let me know.
Think about packing a sturdy step ladder. I am 6' and I can barely get my bike on and off my Thule Super G on my 1980 Oldsmopile Gutless.

·
I'm on fire.
304 Posts
Step stool

I'll second the idea of a step stool. I have a Thule Big Mouth on my Jeep Liberty - need a small step stool or risk scratches to the roof.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you just made my decision easier

I still have an old terra firma hitch rack, but no hitch on this Rodeo. It may be cheaper to just buy a hitch and use the rack I have? The only problem is the frame design of the Enduro won't fit the rack so I will have to find something to adapt. I think they still make those bars that extend from the stem to the seatpost. Anyone know where I can find replacement cradles for this rack? I am emailing Yakima.

The only better option would be a rack that fits over the rear (spare) tire that is actually worth a shite.

·
slakDawg
469 Posts
I've got a Yakima rack on my wife's Rodeo that we are planning to sell. It's got 2 fork mount rails, not sure of the name (they're an older model). I've got the locking cores for the fork mounts, Q-Towers, plus 2 spare = 8 total for it as well. Let me know if you want me to send you some pics or if you want to meet up to take a look see to determine if that is a way for you to go. Shoot me a PM (BTW: I'm in Charlotte).

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
I could never do a roof rack. I know I would space and drive right in the garage with the bikes on top,, at least 50% of the time. Hitch rack for me. At least the garage door doesnt close all the way when I forget it's there do too the sensor on the opener. :rolleyes:

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
Anyone know where I can find replacement cradles for this rack? I am emailing Yakima.

The only better option would be a rack that fits over the rear (spare) tire that is actually worth a shite.

Try Rack Warehouse they've usually got all the Yak stuff you need...including the the crossbar for weird shaped and small frames, though Delta makes one that works just as well as Yaks and half the price.

Check Ebay as well...i've found Yak Bedroc craddles for my rack for dirt cheap and it was all new out of the box.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rob said:
I've got a Yakima rack on my wife's Rodeo that we are planning to sell. It's got 2 fork mount rails, not sure of the name (they're an older model). I've got the locking cores for the fork mounts, Q-Towers, plus 2 spare = 8 total for it as well. Let me know if you want me to send you some pics or if you want to meet up to take a look see to determine if that is a way for you to go. Shoot me a PM (BTW: I'm in Charlotte).
i sent you an email. i may be interested but i am also going to see how much it costs to just install a hitch on the rodeo. like i said i have a hitch rack already but i would need to buy a crossbaras well, and i could be looking at $200+ by the time it was all said and done.

we paid this car off and bought my wife a new tahoe (she is pregnant and wanted something nicer that she could get the baby seat in and out of more easily, etc. etc. - I couldn't argue). I would LOVE the new Subaru Legacy GT Limited, but I am doing the reasonable thing and driving this car instead of making two car payments for now. That being said - she has agreed to let me re-paint it, put on steel black wheels and buy a bike rack. It's gonna look all off-roadish and tuff :cool: :rolleyes: so, i want to spend my money wisely so i can get all of this done soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
On our Rodeo I use the Bob Ratchet from Sportworks. It is easy to use, and very stable. I like the fact that I can put the bike up on the top, hold it with one hand, climb on the rear tire (or inside the rear door) and then finish loading the bike. (kind of hard to explain) The 'arm' that goes over the front wheel is easy to adjust with one hand, leaving the other free to hold the bike upright. I am 5'8" on a good day, and I do pack around a two step step-ladder, though I rarely use it these days. The only drawback is the lack of a built in lock on the rack. If you don't want to use aftermarket load bars, the Factory Bob works well, though it isn't quite as stable.

http://www.sportworks.com/stbob.asp

I thought about using a hitch mount as well, but the way the rear door swings open to the side would interfer with a rack on the rear.

More info here: http://gearreview.com/sportworks_bobratchet.php

One more thing, we reviewed the King Cobra as well, http://gearreview.com/kingcobra.php, and while it works fine, we aren't nearly as impressed with it as we are the Sportworks setup.

I also use the Boa by Yakima, outboard of the BOB. I prefer the BOB where I don't have to take my front wheel off.

Drop me a PM if you would like an image of my setup, or have any other questions.

-James

jsnk1975 said:

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On our Rodeo I use the Bob Ratchet from Sportworks. It is easy to use, and very stable. I like the fact that I can put the bike up on the top, hold it with one hand, climb on the rear tire (or inside the rear door) and then finish loading the bike. (kind of hard to explain) The 'arm' that goes over the front wheel is easy to adjust with one hand, leaving the other free to hold the bike upright. I am 5'8" on a good day, and I do pack around a two step step-ladder, though I rarely use it these days. The only drawback is the lack of a built in lock on the rack. If you don't want to use aftermarket load bars, the Factory Bob works well, though it isn't quite as stable.

http://www.sportworks.com/stbob.asp

I thought about using a hitch mount as well, but the way the rear door swings open to the side would interfer with a rack on the rear.

More info here: http://gearreview.com/sportworks_bobratchet.php

One more thing, we reviewed the King Cobra as well, http://gearreview.com/kingcobra.php, and while it works fine, we aren't nearly as impressed with it as we are the Sportworks setup.

I also use the Boa by Yakima, outboard of the BOB. I prefer the BOB where I don't have to take my front wheel off.

Drop me a PM if you would like an image of my setup, or have any other questions.

-James
The BOB :cool: - I have the Insta Gater that I bought to use for my work truck that I was driving and LOVE IT. It doesn't get any easier to use than that. Now I am going to drive the Rodeo much more and just leave that truck at our offices. My only complaint with the Insta Gater was that you couldn't lock the bike. That would make it the perfect truck rack, and that is a feature that I really want on my next rack. The bikes not cheap and I don't want to be paraniod if I want to go get a bite to eat or something after I ride. Anyone want to buy an Insta Gater? :D

How do you run a lock on your current setup? It sounds like you have it hooked up; it's easy to load/ unload? Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Thule Velo Vise system. This transports the bike w/ the front wheel off and securely binds the fork to the rack w/ a moving 'jaw' that is very easy and quick to open. It is very fast to adjust from one bike size to another and I've been extremely pleased with the 3 I've owned for several years.

You can include integrated key locks for securing your fork. Much faster to load than using a traditional skewer or rubber strap system. It is also relatively easy to remove the tray if you're doing something else with the bars. Though not the cheapest solution, the system is modular in case you ever decide to buy a ski box or snowboard rack or kayak rack, etc.

They are cross compatible with either Thule or Yakima bars (I have heard but can't confirm they are made in the same factory, w/ same parent company). For example, I have 2 Thule Velo Vise trays and 2 Yakima Kayak Saddles mounted on my Thule bars... The upside to Thule bars is that they are square (i.e. flat if you're loading other stuff on them)

·
slakDawg
469 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
i sent you an email.
Never got it, don't think MTBR's email system is working. At least my test message still hasn't come thru from last night :rolleyes:

jackass AT carolina DOT rr DOT com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Roof Racks opinion

I have owned and used both Thule and Yakima racks. I currently own two King Cobra racks and can recommend them for the big tubed suspension bikes. I used to have Thule Big Mouth racks, but somebody lifted them off the car at a trail head by cutting the bars with a cordless recip saw. Dealer took pity on me when insurance stated it was not an original part of the vehicle. Gave me cost on the new Yakima bars and racks. Now the bike racks come off the car when we leave and into the trunk. The only problem with the KC racks is the cam ratchet system for securing the rear wheel. Ratchet it too tight and it can be difficult to loosen off the rachet belt. :( Oh well, better that then letting go on the highway. Make sure you buy the lock cores for security. I have owned a hitch mount rack before and found it very convenient on the grand Cherokee. Switched after some nice person rear ended us at a stop light and bent up some expensive Japanese hardware. I got tired of looking in my mirror every time I stopped a light. Each has advantages and dis-advantages.

BTLG

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
BTLG said:
I have owned and used both Thule and Yakima racks. I currently own two King Cobra racks and can recommend them for the big tubed suspension bikes. I used to have Thule Big Mouth racks, but somebody lifted them off the car at a trail head by cutting the bars with a cordless recip saw. Dealer took pity on me when insurance stated it was not an original part of the vehicle. Gave me cost on the new Yakima bars and racks. Now the bike racks come off the car when we leave and into the trunk. The only problem with the KC racks is the cam ratchet system for securing the rear wheel. Ratchet it too tight and it can be difficult to loosen off the rachet belt. :( Oh well, better that then letting go on the highway. Make sure you buy the lock cores for security. I have owned a hitch mount rack before and found it very convenient on the grand Cherokee. Switched after some nice person rear ended us at a stop light and bent up some expensive Japanese hardware. I got tired of looking in my mirror every time I stopped a light. Each has advantages and dis-advantages.
BTLG
I always take my Super G off and throw it in the trunk. Not a guarantee, but it makes me feel a bit better. Oops, I read you post closer and realize you do this too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steelhead Fan

I have two Steelhead mounts on top of my car. They work very well, are easy so setup, and I have no prob working my friend 45lb bike on top. Anyway, I've never had or heard of a prob with Yakimas racks. Just don;t forget to buy a fairing. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts