Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to figure out a way to transport two bikes using 1995 chrysler LHS. i am guessing the way to go is some rack on the roof ?

can anybody point me to a solution that is not too expensive but works ? i would google for it but i dont even know how its called :)

also where should i buy it ( i live in Brooklyn, NY, USA ).

thanx in advance.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Yo Brooklyn:

Roof racks are great and the better ones allow you to lock the bikes to the car. Cheaper is a rack that sits on the trunk. Most trunk racks can hold two bikes but they are not as secure IMHO and when they are on the car you cant get in the trunk. Thule is a great company for all kinds of racks. You can pick up a Thule at almost any local bike shop or mail order place like Nashbar.com. I used to live in Brooklyn and grew up trail riding in prospect park, forest park, and the rambles of central park. Check out Roys in sheepshead. In thier heyday Roys was the coolest proshop in all of NYC.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In addition to what the other poster said, roof racks are also more versatile in that they transport full suspension bikes better. But if you drive into parking garages or anywhere with low clearance on a regular basis and you are at all forgetful, you may want to try something else. For the roof racks, Thule and Yakima are great. For trunk racks, the Saris Bones is quite solid, though you would need to pick up an adaptor for any odd geometry bikes. And probably a long cable lock to lock the rack to your car somehow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have been very happy with my Saris Bones bike rack. I had 3- 30lb bikes strapped in on the back from Indiana to N.C. through the mountains, flying around curves. I never once had to tighten a strap or worry about the bikes. The rack will cost you only about $120. Solid as can be. The Saris Bones sounds like it's for you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well around where i live most of the time you are stuck in traffic, i would not want somebody to tap me on the back of the car when i have two bikes there. i would rather have them on the roof.

?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maida7 said:
Yo Brooklyn:

Roof racks are great and the better ones allow you to lock the bikes to the car. Cheaper is a rack that sits on the trunk. Most trunk racks can hold two bikes but they are not as secure IMHO and when they are on the car you cant get in the trunk. Thule is a great company for all kinds of racks. You can pick up a Thule at almost any local bike shop or mail order place like Nashbar.com. I used to live in Brooklyn and grew up trail riding in prospect park, forest park, and the rambles of central park. Check out Roys in sheepshead. In thier heyday Roys was the coolest proshop in all of NYC.
i just looked up Roy's on verizon superpages and realized this is where i bought my bike LOL. its like 3 blocks away from where i live :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.