Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely someone else has a prius... Can you use a roof rack with it? You cant use a standard rack mounted to the rear and there is no hitch mount. I have been told the roof can not take any weight. Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't received any replies on my hybrid question either. I am looking for info for my Honda Hybrid. At least you can lay your back seat down and put the bike in there, can't you? I would like to put a hitch on mine but I have been told by Drawtite that a hitch is not made for the hybrid yet.

Good luck,
Chris

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris442 said:
I haven't received any replies on my hybrid question either. I am looking for info for my Honda Hybrid. At least you can lay your back seat down and put the bike in there, can't you? I would like to put a hitch on mine but I have been told by Drawtite that a hitch is not made for the hybrid yet.

Good luck,
Chris
Eh, its ok now. I just bought a VW rabbit and am making my own bio dielesel fuel so I can get a normal rack on that car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rack on Prius possible, but not necessary for me...

Coastaletech.com makes a bolt-on receiver hitch for the Prius (both old and new models), so you can put a bike rack on the back of your car.
However, the 2004 Prius has so much space inside (with the rear seats folded down) that you can slide a mountain bike in without even taking off a wheel. A second bike will fit on top of that if you take off the front wheel. We've taken road trips to Moab, etc with two bikes, a cooler, bike gear, and camping gear all inside the Prius, and you could still see out the back no problem. Plus you get 50 mpg even while going through the Colorado mountains with a full car (whereas a bike rack would definitely hurt your mpg).

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
torch

see a local welder/fabricator for a custom hitch mount.

TheRedMantra said:
Surely someone else has a prius... Can you use a roof rack with it? You cant use a standard rack mounted to the rear and there is no hitch mount. I have been told the roof can not take any weight. Anyone know anything?

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Has anyone used the Coastaltech trailer hitch receiver?

I've been stuffing the bikes in the back of our Prius for the past few months and it's getting pretty old. After one muddy night race we stood out and froze trying to get the mud off the bikes and still the car got pretty dirty. A shame really.

I want to use the trailer hitch type but can't find one besides the coastaltech one so I'm looking for feedback from anyone who had experience with one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
bit of research anyone?

do you expect everyone else to do the leg work?...both Thule and Yakima, the 2 big names in racks, make a roof rack system for the Prius. A hitch receiver is also available. You people are using the web, how come you couldn't find any info?

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
longman said:
do you expect everyone else to do the leg work?...both Thule and Yakima, the 2 big names in racks, make a roof rack system for the Prius. A hitch receiver is also available. You people are using the web, how come you couldn't find any info?
Not sure if you are aiming this at me, but, here goes.
I have searched around a bunch. I've only found the Coastal production folks selling a hitch mount to go onto the Prius. The only one. So I posted asking if anyone else had used this hitch and if so were they happy with install etc of the unit.

I do not want a roof mounted rack system. It's either a rear hitch rack or stuffing them inside which works for two clean-ish bikes but not anymore or muddy bikes either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curt Mfg makes a hitch for the Prius (etrailer.com). I just installed one on our '07. It is cheaper than the Costal but only comes in 1.25". I plan to use the Thule T2 rack. Priuschat.com has alot of info on the hitches. If you go with the Curt make sure you get the latest model that resolved the exhaust issue (the original version would warp the bumper).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts