Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving on a trip tomorrow and forecast is saying rain and thunderstorms. How bad is it to have the bike up top through this crap. Can't put it inside because of all our gear and there will be three bikes up there. Should I be concerned? Just put a brand new fork on too....Damn rain...

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
MRfire said:
Leaving on a trip tomorrow and forecast is saying rain and thunderstorms. How bad is it to have the bike up top through this crap. Can't put it inside because of all our gear and there will be three bikes up there. Should I be concerned? Just put a brand new fork on too....Damn rain...
I drove 7 hours through heavy rain with the bikes up top one time and didn't have a problem, I just re-lube everything before the ride. Like you, I prefer to have the bikes in the van/truck and sheltered from the elements but sometimes that isn't do-able, you got'sta get where you're going and many times...there's rain along the way:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wouldn't a few well-placed sprays of WD-40 help out? WD-40, while lousy as a bike lube, I understood is supposed to displace water, thus it would help protect against rust. Just give a spray to areas you think might be vulnerable to rust. Personally, I wouldn't be that worried and would just make sure I dried it off and lubed everything well after the storm.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Did you ever see that plastic wrap thats used to keep stuff together when they pack pallets for shipping? I'd bet that stuff would offer fantastic protection & would be easy as hell to apply and I'd imagine is cheap too.

I had a few road trips right after the winter and the bike was crusted with salt/dirt/crap after a few hours. This plastic wrap stuff would have been good.

Attachments

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
i dunno. wd40 seems to be a rust activator not inhibitor. better off spraying a tenacious oil to vulnerable areas.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Locoman said:
i dunno. wd40 seems to be a rust activator not inhibitor. better off spraying a tenacious oil to vulnerable areas.
OK, care to tell me just how in the world it could do this? The WD stands for Water Displacement. It's first industrial use was to prevent rust on the surface of the Atlas missle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

·
Registered
185 Posts
Being fron the Great Northwet I have traveled several hours in rain sometimes w/ no issues. It would be best to wipe down when you call it quits.
Anyways these are mt bikes they can stand a lil water...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey man,

I am posting this and you have all ready left. I was driving around a KOA (Kampgrounds of America) site tonight in Indiana... and I happen to drive past this SUV. On the back of this SUV were bikes covered in a tarp mat with ropes and cords.

I drove back to take a cell phone picture. Here it is...

</img>

I remember reading this thread yesterday... but was stupified today when I saw this solution. Maybe this is you! Ha!

I may use this in the future...

-S6

·
Registered
54 Posts
bhutata said:
OK, care to tell me just how in the world it could do this? The WD stands for Water Displacement. It's first industrial use was to prevent rust on the surface of the Atlas missle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
WD40 is nothing more than kerosene with some color and smell additives. That's why it evaporates as fast as it does. I got that straight from someone who works at their factory in NJ.

·
Registered
804 Posts
WD-40 is not a protecting lubricant in the way we need it to be.
It will remove most anything, in my expreience, that will protect a surface form exposure.
As for it being used to protect the Atlas missles...they most likely sparayed it on the missle daily, weekly, or monthly. Back in the day it came out, I would expect other forms of protecting a bare metal (must have been, or why worry about rust?) would have been too heavy a caoting for a missle.
Just a guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.