Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A little history about me, new to mountain biking, ordered a forge 5xx and returned it after riding it twice. Decent bike for the price but felt weird and didn't like the fork, so i thought by upgrading just the fork on that one to lets say a Dart3 would have brought up the price in the range of buying a new bike with other better components not just the fork so i returned it and got a refund for it.

Now i was set on buying a Cannondale f5 from the REI for around 749$ until i saw the Fantom Trail. I am not an expert on parts but by comparing it with the little knowledge i have, it seems to have very comparable parts for a cheaper price. (trying to save some money to buy my wife a bike as well)

I would like some help deciding if there's any reason to buy the F5 from a LBS(besides the free tune ups and relationship building) and not the Fantom Trail ( better parts? etc)

appreciate any help!

here are the links to the specs for both bikes:

f5
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS5.html

fantom trail
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
What you did wrong...

Dragos said:
17 views no reply... hmm what did i write wrong? :) i'll change it

You asked a question we can't answer.

The most important part of determining whether one bike is better than another is how it fits on an individual when they ride it. All bikes fit differently.

So we can't answer your question because the cheaper bike with better components may not fit you. In which case, the more expensive bike would be better for you. Then again, the more expensive bike may not fit you and the less expensive bike would be a better choice.

The correct answer to your question is to ride them both (preferably on dirt) and determine which one feels better to you. That's the right bike to buy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you order the Motobecane, the same thing very well may happen with it that happened with the Forge. It's a perfectly good bike, but without being able to ride it first, you have no way of knowing that it'll be a good fit for you.

That, of course, isn't to say that the Cannondale will be a good fit, either, but at least you'll have the opportunity to ascertain that before you purchase it. Don't limit yourself to just those two. Trek, Specialized, Giant, Gary Fisher, GT, Haro, Jamis, Marin, etc etc etc etc all also have similarly specced bikes, and you never know which is going to be comfortable for you. Ride as many as you can before making a decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts