Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the 2009 bikes are significantly more expensive then the 2008's with no real upgrades. Some even downgraded the parts from LX to no-name shimano parts. Like the trek fuel ex 8. The 08 was $2100, the 09 is almost $2700. The only upgrade is the fork get this neat little 80/100/130 dial on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
cost of fuel to make and ship. When our gas prices were up, all of the companies were eating the high costs. They can only absorb so much. Then they all raise prices at the end of the model year. Now that fuel prices have come down... who knows. I think they will stay at this level until the bike companies recover some cash.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
fuel prices are only part of the deal. worldwide demand and prices for good quality aluminum, steel, carbon, and rubber have all gone up, thus prices are going up. the bike industry has resisted these price increases for a while now and it has finally reached the consumer level.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
dont worry, bike prices will be coming down hard. no more easy credit, world wide recession, dollar value going up and high unemployment will see to that
thats the beauty of capitalism, the market sets the price. People dont spend $3k on bikes when times are hard, if no one buys, then the companies have to lower the price until they do. Just like cars

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
mlepito said:
Why? What is the reason for the large increase?
Materials prices went up. Some tariff rules changed that affected the bike industry quite heavily. And the dollar plummeted. I blame a lot on the falling dollar.

FWIW, there was quite a jump in price from 2007 to 2008, at least from Specialized. The bike I bought for $3000 in 2007 was priced at over $4000 in 2008, and the spec was almost identical. The bike was then downspec'd for 2009.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts