Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Speaking of bike prices, I've always found Pivot bikes to be exorbitantly overpriced.
When researching a bike to buy 2 years ago I thought the same. My first thought was..."What the hell...Does Pivot think their bikes are made of gold?"

Now it seems everyone else is up there in price with Pivot.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
I'm trying to sell my 2018 yetisb5.5 turq complete bike (in excellent condition) and I'm going to take a hit if I keep reducing the price! Ugh...

Well, you're trying to sell a 3-4 year old bike with "dated" geo, clearly you're going to lose some $$ over brand new prices.
But, if you're trying to sell a current production bike that's still in good shape, I've seen many go for nearly full retail.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hate to break it to you, people selling used bikes right now are not taking a hit...
Correct. I don't need a new bike right now so not concerned at the moment. And in time this covid BS as an excuse for higher bike prices will pass and then they will be more reasonably priced.

The covid prices of bikes on Facebook market is laughable right now. I love it when people respond and tear the seller a new butt hole for trying to sell a bike for more than it's worth.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well, you're trying to sell a 3-4 year old bike with "dated" geo, clearly you're going to lose some $$ over brand new prices.
But, if you're trying to sell a current production bike that's still in good shape, I've seen many go for nearly full retail.
I've seen 3-4 year old bikes trying to be sold for MSRP.

And if anyone is paying at or near full retail for a used bike...A fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,853 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the first to post on bike prices. While there always has been a fine line on whether or not a bike was priced fairly, right now it's a different story. We are being raked over the coals and they are using covid as an excuse. I still say it's BS.

Next mountain bike I buy will be used. I'll let someone else take the hit on the overpriced bike.
This thread happens every other month. You're hardly the first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Makes sense...thx. I might end up losing a grand. I don't wanna go beyond that.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
OK. Comparing the YT to the Ibis in my original post...What detail would set the Ibis apart making it worth $2300 more?

1. Both are full carbon suspension frames but just different linkage designs.
  2. Both have the same drive train offering.
  3. Both have the same suspension offering.
  4. The YT has a carbon wheelset. The Ibis has an aluminum wheelset.
  5. YT is 5 year warranty. Ibis is 7 year warranty.
I really don't see anything in the list that jumps out and would want to make me pay $2300 more for a comparable bike.
DW link

/end thread.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I do prefer DW link type suspension. Whether is makes a bike worth $2300 more is debatable.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I do prefer DW link type suspension. Whether is makes a bike worth $2300 more is debatable.
How big is $2300 to you? For some $2300 is two days of work.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
How big is $2300 to you? For some $2300 is two days of work.
I know people that make $2,300 in 30 minutes of work that would never drop $2,300 on a full bike let alone $2,300 more on a bike.

I also know people that it probably takes 3-4 weeks to earn that much and they own $6,000+ bikes...

I've been in sales a long time and I've found that income and willingness to spend rarely have a direct correlation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agreed about the amount, but I do think DW-Link climbs excellently. It would be interesting to calculate the differences, percentage wise, in climbing prowess, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I doubt that prices are every coming down but they may stabilize after the supply chain gets restored. Shops here can't keep too many higher end setups in stock and people are paying 5K-10K pretty consistently. I'm guilty as well.

I do prefer DW Link and Switch Infinity but I have not ridden the CBF suspension and its cool axle path yet. I have a Yeti and a new Ibis but if I sell the Yeti, I'd probably get the Revel Rascal. The Horst Link is very nice and active and descends really well plus gets over techy sections well too, but I am spoiled by the climbing/anti-squat of the DWL and Switch Infinity. With short travel, they do give up a bit on the descents. Slowing me down on descents is safer for all though, so I'm good.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,777 Posts
I doubt that prices are every coming down but they may stabilize after the supply chain gets restored. Shops here can't keep too many higher end setups in stock and people are paying 5K-10K pretty consistently. I'm guilty as well.

I do prefer DW Link and Switch Infinity but I have not ridden the CBF suspension and its cool axle path yet. I have a Yeti and a new Ibis but if I sell the Yeti, I'd probably get the Revel Rascal. The Horst Link is very nice and active and descends really well plus gets over techy sections well too, but I am spoiled by the climbing/anti-squat of the DWL and Switch Infinity. With short travel, they do give up a bit on the descents. Slowing me down on descents is safer for all though, so I'm good.
The CBF suspension on the Revel bikes feels more active than DW-link designs generally. It seems to separate suspension action and chain forces more than DW-link designs I've ridden, But the Revel bikes also feel less snappy and immediate while climbing than do DW-link bikes from Ibis and Pivot. The Revel bikes might be really ideal for very rocky or rooty trails on which more isolation between suspension movement and pedaling is desirable.

Once demos start again, I need to ride more of the newer Horst-link designs. My impression is that most Horst link designs need some level of compression damping to climb well.

For me, being able to do demo rides is an important factor in determining how much I'm willing to pay for a certain bike.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts

I think you'd like CBF, so far the only suspension I like better than DW link.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts