Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Short answer: yes

Long answer: larger bike companies have more buying power and can get cheaper prices so their bikes are less expensive. But some boutique brands just charge a premium for their name.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Direct to consumer brands eliminate the middleman which are dealers/distributors, so they’re able to price bikes a lot lower than brands that use the dealer model. With YT(and Canyon and GG), you are buying directly from YT and not an affiliate. There are also dealer model brands that sell directly to consumers, but obviously, their pricing still remains high.

I think we’re all feeling like bike companies have been fleecing us and especially more so with the pandemic price hikes. It’s bullshit.

One thing I have noticed with direct to consumer brands is that their customer service is hit or miss. For instance, big brands generally stand by their products. If I were to take a cracked Trek frame to the Trek store, I’ll get a new frame. But I’ve heard a mix of good and bad things about DTC brands but mostly good things with dealer brands when it comes to warranties.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the 5 star level of this bike last year in September for $5200. That same bike is now $6700. WTF? How is this bike now $1500 more? And this is a DTC brand.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I bought the 5 star level of this bike last year in September for $5200. That same bike is now $6700. WTF? How is this bike now $1500 more? And this is a DTC brand.

Spot is one brand that confuses me; Alchemy is another. Their prices seem about the same as "in store" bikes...which is fine, but I thought the whole point of D-T-C was: sure, you give up the local support (unless you live there), but we give you a discount. Not sure why I'd want to give up local C/S and pay the same price. I suppose if I lived in Denver, I'd feel different.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

COVID pricing. Just about every brand raised their prices for buyers because they didn’t want increased shipping prices and raw materials shortage to cut in to their bottom line. So they passed on the expenses to us.

The sad thing is, if the world ever goes back to normal, bike prices are going to remain high and stay high. It’s a completely fucked up situation.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
When ever you see a bike company that is way cheaper you always have to ask why. I know it is hard to believe but the profits that bike companies make are reasonable and not in fact obscene.

What are you giving up with YT? By reputation quality control and customer service. Some people have good luck with them, others spend $5600 and have a bike that fails right away and then wait months and months for a replacement frame.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought a Mongoose Envoy cargo bike a year ago for $699. Now it's $899.

I bought a couple Lifetime kayaks for my kids around the same time for $69. Now they are $129.

It's conditioning me to just buy things whenever I find them in stock. Because if I wait, it will just be more expensive. If I buy now, even if I have regret I can probably resell it for a good price later anyway.

I once read about how people in the Weimar republic would go grocery shopping right after payday, because they knew prices would be higher later in the week. That always seemed incredible but I'm starting to really think maybe I should do the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's Covid-related supply challenges that reduce supply. When supply is reduced but demand is the same (or higher like with bikes right now) the price goes up. It's capitalism 101. A small part of price increases since covid started are being caused by inflation, which increases any time there's government stimulus. It's definitely not a Weimar Germany situation :)

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
Every time I see a why are bike prices so high lately thread all I can think is...do y'all live under a rock? You think its just bikes? Everything has exploded in price.

Yup.

This includes everything in their supply line that has exploded in costs to get a bike under your butt; shipping, packaging components, frame materials, labor...

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
I just bought a Ripley with a XT build and the Ibis carbon wheelset with Hydra hubs. MSRP was $8,100 and I paid that plus shipping. I bet their prices have gone up too, just like most others. I bought a SC Stigmata gravel bike for $4,300 a few months ago and I think it is $4,800 now.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spot is one brand that confuses me; Alchemy is another. Their prices seem about the same as "in store" bikes...which is fine, but I thought the whole point of D-T-C was: sure, you give up the local support (unless you live there), but we give you a discount. Not sure why I'd want to give up local C/S and pay the same price. I suppose if I lived in Denver, I'd feel different.
Yeah. Confused me also as their prices were more inline with most DTC bike companies.

No need for the higher prices especially when the middle man is cut out. I'm thinking price gouging...cuz then can. I can get a comparable bike from Trek, Specialized, Giant cheaper than Spot and Alchemy right now and plus like you said...C/S is right near home.

·
Registered
NS Suburban
343 Posts
This is why I'm going to quit cycling and take up heavy drug use. At least black tar heroin prices stay pretty consistent.

On 5 year timeline 4k bike + 1 k of accessories + 2k on wear ant tear as minimum + 3 k bike parks passes, traveling etc...

will give you 10k which is 2k per year that could be spent at 5$ per day rate

So technically you can buy 1g of flowers once per 2 days, or 10$ wine bottle per two days or 6 pack of beer per two days....

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Every time I see a why are bike prices so high lately thread all I can think is...do y'all live under a rock? You think its just bikes? Everything has exploded in price.
Not everything. As I buy other recreational outdoor equipment such as fly rods, waders, snow shoes, ice fishing gear, kayaks...In those markets this type of price gouging is not happening.

Only other places I see price gouging is the used and new car market. Alleged chip shortage caused by covid.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When ever you see a bike company that is way cheaper you always have to ask why. I know it is hard to believe but the profits that bike companies make are reasonable and not in fact obscene.

What are you giving up with YT? By reputation quality control and customer service. Some people have good luck with them, others spend $5600 and have a bike that fails right away and then wait months and months for a replacement frame.
I don't know. Seems to be quite a few happy YT Izzo customers.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts