Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I recently had to rebuild a couple of really old 26" hardtails, recently. Finding tires was pretty comical: REI and online places had nothing for less than $65 - $80. For a 26" tire!

Absolutely NOTHING available at the LBS, until I asked if they they'd recently thrown anything in the dumpster. Now I have tires, and the landfill has less crap.
I ordered four Minion DHF and DHRs recently. Took a few days to come into the LBS but they weren't hard to get?

·
Cycologist
7,168 Posts
Maybe I should sell my old 26 tires. I think I have some that have never been used.
Maybe I shouldn't have given the guy I sold my 26er to last fall a couple of spare tires. And I still have a 26er, and at least one spare tire, maybe two.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't have given the guy I sold my 26er to last fall a couple of spare tires. And I still have a 26er, and at least one spare tire, maybe two.
I think I donated my old 26" related parts to the local community bike organization. Balls.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I recently had to rebuild a couple of really old 26" hardtails, recently. Finding tires was pretty comical: REI and online places had nothing for less than $65 - $80. For a 26" tire!

Absolutely NOTHING available at the LBS, until I asked if they they'd recently thrown anything in the dumpster. Now I have tires, and the landfill has less crap.
Tire prices are about demand not size. 26" tires have been selling like hot cakes. You'll find better deals on 27" tires because they are about as popular as 26" was in 2015. Check chainreaction for 26" rubber. They always have good stock and prices. I picked up a 26" big betty for cheap and it's a new mold tire. They sold out of those though. 26" tires are hot commodities these days.

·
well mannered lout
2,768 Posts
I got Schwalbe Rapid Rob 2.25s for $55/2. That was wire bead though...it's no time to be a snob about such things.

Reactions: shwndh

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ride what you can get. I suspect that I will be for a while.

One good thing is that spring is getting closer and days are getting longer.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,798 Posts
An aluminum framed bike with base level components that went for less than $2k isn't entry level?
You said it already had a Pike on it. What was "base level" about it? Because in my book, anything with a Pike on it is pretty far from entry level.

Frankly, I don't think YT sells ANYTHING that's truly entry level.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,560 Posts
Not much to do about price increases right now. Demand is way up. Supply is short, manufacturing is challenged to source supplies, and shipping is extremely pressured.

In my industry (building products), a couple of manufacturers have experienced 25%+ increases since Dec 2020 already on all metals (steel and aluminum). I was just advised of an additional 11% increase coming before April.

Off topic-regarding old Italian bikes in the midwest; I grew up in central IL riding an '85 steel Bianchi with Campy. It was and still is very common to see old Colnago's and Bianchi's around town. I never really thought that was out of the ordinary. Road cycling in the midwest in the 80's, I was heavily influenced by American Flyers (filmed in St. Louis --except for the racing scenes in CO) and Breaking Away (Little 500 in Bloomington IN). I don't know the full impact of those films on others, but I do know that if I yell "HOLD YOUR LINE SUMMERS" pretty much everyone who's not a millennial gets the reference.

·
well mannered lout
2,768 Posts
Not much to do about price increases right now. Demand is way up. Supply is short, manufacturing is challenged to source supplies, and shipping is extremely pressured.

In my industry (building products), a couple of manufacturers have experienced 25%+ increases since Dec 2020 already on all metals (steel and aluminum). I was just advised of an additional 11% increase coming before April.

Off topic-regarding old Italian bikes in the midwest; I grew up in central IL riding an '85 steel Bianchi with Campy. It was and still is very common to see old Colnago's and Bianchi's around town. I never really thought that was out of the ordinary. Road cycling in the midwest in the 80's, I was heavily influenced by American Flyers (filmed in St. Louis --except for the racing scenes in CO) and Breaking Away (Little 500 in Bloomington IN). I don't know the full impact of those films on others, but I do know that if I yell "HOLD YOUR LINE SUMMERS" pretty much everyone who's not a millennial gets the reference.
Yup... those two movies for sure, but for me it was LeMond. Interest in cycling always grows in the US when we have a champion in the peloton.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Tire prices are about demand not size. 26" tires have been selling like hot cakes. You'll find better deals on 27" tires because they are about as popular as 26" was in 2015.
26” is still the most popular wheel size by far on new bikes
so demand for replacement 26” tires will remain high for decades

·
Cycologist
7,168 Posts
26” is still the most popular wheel size by far on new bikes
so demand for replacement 26” tires will remain high for decades
Really, in the US?

I know 26ers are still the most common bikes in most parts of the world and tires will keep being made for them, but I thought those would be cheaper tires rather than true performance tires. Though I would think there are enough old 26ers in the US still being ridden that someone would see it as a viable market.

·
No known cure
4,063 Posts
Jensens has plenty of 26" tires on their site. More if you're lucky to be able to shop in their stores.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Really, in the US?

I know 26ers are still the most common bikes in most parts of the world and tires will keep being made for them, but I thought those would be cheaper tires rather than true performance tires. Though I would think there are enough old 26ers in the US still being ridden that someone would see it as a viable market.
The number of 26” is huge counting dept stores and cruisers

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's hard to flip mountain bikes. Most of what's available used is ancient. No one maintains them and they're beat on by design. Lots of hydraulic parts, many of which were unreliable new, unavailable now, and haven't improved with age. And with all that, the buying market is thin above $1K. Road bikes, sure, you can make a business there. Mountain bikes, no thanks.
Not too hard. I paid for my bike and a loaner + a lot of upgrade money just flipping bikes on craigslist this summer. And that's with giving sweet deals on bikes to my brothers (y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys, look at the dark side of this for a moment and think about it. Prices are going up and everyone is short on supply. In addition, many people are suffering financially and desperate for cash. This means that bike theft will be going up too! Bigtime!!!

What everyone needs to do right now (if they haven't already) is to make sure your expensive mountain bike is on your insurance policy. To be specific; I mean you need to contact your insurance company directly and request that your particular mountain bike make/model year is on your policy. This may also mean taking a photo of your bike receipt and sending it over to prove you actually bought the bike and that it is fully covered. Also, go out and buy a really good bike lock and chain. The animals will be looking to grab your bike at every opportunity you let your guard down.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Hey guys, look at the dark side of this for a moment and think about it. Prices are going up and everyone is short on supply. In addition, many people are suffering financially and desperate for cash. This means that bike theft will be going up too! Bigtime!!!

What everyone needs to do right now (if they haven't already) is to make sure your expensive mountain bike is on your insurance policy. To be specific; I mean you need to contact your insurance company directly and request that your particular mountain bike make/model year is on your policy. This may also mean taking a photo of your bike receipt and sending it over to prove you actually bought the bike and that it is fully covered. Also, go out and buy a really good bike lock and chain. The animals will be looking to grab your bike at every opportunity you let your guard down.
Yes, that appears to be the case.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts