Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
My main bike was somewhat ahead of the trends when I bought it in 2017 and I'm more than happy to keep it for a long while. I worry about wear parts though. Maybe I should pick up a new cassette and chain while I can. Stock up on brake pads? I wonder how the tire supply will hold up?

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
^^^ That might not be a bad idea. I try to keep an extra new chain, brake pads, tires and cables along with a few other items around for those days when you need'em, but they ain't got'em days.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My main bike was somewhat ahead of the trends when I bought it in 2017 and I'm more than happy to keep it for a long while. I worry about wear parts though. Maybe I should pick up a new cassette and chain while I can. Stock up on brake pads? I wonder how the tire supply will hold up?
It seems to me that good 26" tires are hard to find and there are no super deals left on them. But larger tires have better selection and some cheap ones are available. Could just be my perception.

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have not been able to find tires I want for a while. If I had to buy now, I would need to compromise on selection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
On a hunch, I did a little digging. I observed lesser components put on newer (same model) bike to keep prices from going much higher on that bike. I.e my 2014 ride has better original. components than a new one (2020) off the shop floor. Can't speak to frame quality.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
On a hunch, I did a little digging. I observed lesser components put on newer (same model) bike to keep prices from going much higher on that bike. I.e my 2014 ride has better original. components than a new one (2020) off the shop floor. Can't speak to frame quality.
That's been happening before the pandemic. For example, look at the Fox and RS fork selection. Now you get a Judy or a Rhythm on entry level bikes, where a few years ago you got a Pike RC or a 34 performance elite.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,286 Posts
^^^ That might not be a bad idea. I try to keep an extra new chain, brake pads, tires and cables along with a few other items around for those days when you need'em, but they ain't got'em days.
Are you guys looking in my spares bin?

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,077 Posts
Gas prices going up, too.

Imagine that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's been happening before the pandemic. For example, look at the Fox and RS fork selection. Now you get a Judy or a Rhythm on entry level bikes, where a few years ago you got a Pike RC or a 34 performance elite.
You ain’t gettin no Rhythm on entry level bikes now. That’s like $3500 and up. The GRIP damper was a lot better than they expected for a budget damper. The MotionControl damper is still crap through so you get that on entry level bikes easily.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have not been able to find tires I want for a while. If I had to buy now, I would need to compromise on selection.
I'm guessing you want the assegai? I've noticed supply and prices are spotty for those. I've had no issues finding the minion's for basically the same discounted prices I've always paid. I just picked up a few gwinions for dirt cheap off chainreacion. Even the DH casing is going for 34 right now. I am running 27" which isn't popular so I can't speak to 29'er supply. I totally forgot about the aquila so I'm excited to give it a try. I planned on trying it when it first came out but prices were high and it become lost to me amongst all the other tires out there. It's been my policy to always have a stock pile of tires so I've just been topping off my y2k bomb shelter like normal. The main issues seems to be with frames and oem parts for complete builds. Consumables seem to be easy enough to find for similar deals as always. As far as new bikes go. I dont' see anyway this bike boom is going to last much longer. Fauci is teasing April now. We might see a ramp up of general pop vaccinations sooner than we've been told? When people can return to their native soccer fields, bike demand will fall off a cliff. If companies ramp up production too much there's going to be killer closeouts in 2022/23. Hopefully we don't see too many LBS's get burned. We could easily see many go under when they are stuck with too much inventory they paid too much for.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Vital MTB released an interview with Joe Graney from Santa Cruz Bikes yesterday that addressed the current situation. Other than the first couple of minutes it was very informative for me.

One take away point was that the industry is very aware that this boom may very well be short lived so he made no mention of ramping up production capability as far as building a new factory or adding on to their existing one.
I believe he said he was expecting a 10 percent or so increase from pre pandemic times to post pandemic times.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Entry level bikes have never come with Pikes or 34 Performance Elites.

2014 Camber came with SunTour coil fork, Shimano Alivio 3x drivetrain at $1850.
2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29 came with a Rockshox Revelation, Shimano SLX 2x drivetrain at $2900.
2021 Stumpjumper Alloy comes with a Rockshox 35, SRAM SX 12 speed, and a dropper post at $2400.
2021 StumperJumper alloy comp comes with Fox 34 Rhythm, SRAM 4 piston brakes, SRAM NX, dropper at $3400.

I've been looking for a FS bike for my wife, comparing specs both old and new since I have found a few in shop in her size, and the above is true for every major brand.

People have been complaining about low end specs for years. They get what they want and still complain.

My guess is it will be a while before people offload their used bikes. A lot of people I know that bought a mountain bike because of the pandemic and bike shortage are the type that get toys because they can, then try unsuccessfully to offload them for MSRP 10 years later as "vintage".

The only thing I have had trouble finding are replacement pads for new Shimano 4 piston brakes. Loads of J0** brake pads, not a lot of K0** pads...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Entry level bikes have never come with Pikes or 34 Performance Elites.

2014 Camber came with SunTour coil fork, Shimano Alivio 3x drivetrain at $1850.
2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29 came with a Rockshox Revelation, Shimano SLX 2x drivetrain at $2900.
2021 Stumpjumper Alloy comes with a Rockshox 35, SRAM SX 12 speed, and a dropper post at $2400.
2021 StumperJumper alloy comp comes with Fox 34 Rhythm, SRAM 4 piston brakes, SRAM NX, dropper at $3400.

I've been looking for a FS bike for my wife, comparing specs both old and new since I have found a few in shop in her size, and the above is true for every major brand.

People have been complaining about low end specs for years. They get what they want and still complain.

My guess is it will be a while before people offload their used bikes. A lot of people I know that bought a mountain bike because of the pandemic and bike shortage are the type that get toys because they can, then try unsuccessfully to offload them for MSRP 10 years later as "vintage".

The only thing I have had trouble finding are replacement pads for new Shimano 4 piston brakes. Loads of J0** brake pads, not a lot of K0** pads...
Really? I guess the Pike on my aluminum Jeffsy I bought in 2017 materialized out of nowhere. You forget (or don't know) that both RS and Fox had gaps in their line ups for mid travel bikes which they've solved with inserting more models in the mid to upper-low tier. You weren't getting Suntour fork if you bought a Santa Cruz, for example.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,798 Posts
Really? I guess the Pike on my aluminum Jeffsy I bought in 2017 materialized out of nowhere. You forget (or don't know) that both RS and Fox had gaps in their line ups for mid travel bikes which they've solved with inserting more models in the mid to upper-low tier. You weren't getting Suntour fork if you bought a Santa Cruz, for example.
A Jeffsy isn't an entry level bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently had to rebuild a couple of really old 26" hardtails, recently. Finding tires was pretty comical: REI and online places had nothing for less than $65 - $80. For a 26" tire!

Absolutely NOTHING available at the LBS, until I asked if they they'd recently thrown anything in the dumpster. Now I have tires, and the landfill has less crap.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts