Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the article on the new Intense Tracer carbon bike. Frame alone is $3200 and the high end version is $10K. I know that there are cheaper versions of the same bikes for around $5-6K, but seriously, at these price points, who's going to ride?

I'm a little concerned that the sport is pricing itself out of relevance (to quote a friend).

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Griped about this over beers w/ a friend just last night. Totally ridonkulous the prices these days. Especially when we're trying to get juniors/high schoolers involved.

I think the online-only, offshore-sourcing companies (e.g. Sette, Airborne) are the ones that will benefit from the exploding prices. I got my son an Airborne (70% the cost of a comparable LBS bike) and have no complaints. Looking at a Fezzari myself.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
people will just say that there are plenty of options, and don't buy the very best if you can't afford 10K. One could say its the price of the Top of the line stuff that is out of control. There are still plenty of regular bikes out there. But I feel you, a few years ago 6500 bought you top of the line. Carbon wheel prices are just whats ridiculous, and yeah 3200 for a frame is kinda high.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It is supply and demand. I hope he is a good enough business man to price his product correctly.

From my perspective I wonder if a frame from Intense is $1000 better than one from SC?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is supply and demand. I hope he is a good enough business man to price his product correctly.

From my perspective I wonder if a frame from Intense is $1000 better than one from SC?
Fair enough. Any business should sell its products for as much as they can get from the market. That being said, if the average good full suspension 5-6" travel bike (the sweet spot of the market) costs over $5K, aren't we going to end up pricing people out of the hobby?

·
Registered
811 Posts
That being said, if the average good full suspension 5-6" travel bike (the sweet spot of the market) costs over $5K, aren't we going to end up pricing people out of the hobby?
New cars are pretty expensive as well. However used cars today last longer, usually require less maintenance than the used cars I was driving in high school. This could create a more robust used market for bikes.

But yeah, the people I see on the $10K bikes, are people who don't pay $10K for them, or people who can afford them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is crazy...but I guess if people are buying them they are priced correctly.

But I do agree, I feel that I am being priced out of a new bike...I know there are some other options out there that are cheaper, but it seems like if you don't have 5k+ to spend you might as well not show up. Just a few years ago you could pretty much get whatever you wanted for that kind of money.

I just keep reminding myself that I don't need it...just want it. Just because the "Jones" have it and everybody on the interwebz says how great some new product is does not mean I need one.

MTB is not a cheap sport if you are worried about having the latest and greatest. If you are happy with what you have it can be a very inexpensive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
and its all intentional. they dont expect to sell very many $10k bikes but they put them out there so you can justify spending $5k which if you stop to think about isnt going to make you much faster then then the $2k bike. Have bikes gotten more expensive yes but bike manufacturers have also gotten better at making you feel you need the more expensive bike. ill add a little fun reading to make you guys think.

In a now-classic study published in the Journal of Marketing Research and repeated in the excellent Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive, Williams-Sonoma had a $275 bread maker listed in their print catalog, and almost no one was buying it. When they introduced a similar bread maker for $429 and positioned it next to the $275 bread maker, sales of the $275 bread maker nearly doubled.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Do you really need a plastic frame? Plenty of nice options for a frame that are three times cheaper. One can get a perfectly functional, long lasting mountain bike for well under $2k.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
MTB is not a cheap sport if you are worried about having the latest and greatest. If you are happy with what you have it can be a very inexpensive.
That says it all right there. I have not bought a new bike in 6 years. I buy used bikes all the time. I bought my 08 Epiphany frame new at a large discount. Built it with quality used parts off a 04 Turner, King hubs, headset, thomson stem, post and mostly xt build. Took a while to get the parts together and I have upgraded a few bits here and there but the hubs, headset, post, stem are all 10 years old.

I will often buy a used bike off craigslist just for a few parts, keep what I need and sell the rest on Ebay or Craigslist. I usually break even and end up getting whatever parts I need for free, sometimes I even profit a few bucks.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Fair enough. Any business should sell its products for as much as they can get from the market. That being said, if the average good full suspension 5-6" travel bike (the sweet spot of the market) costs over $5K, aren't we going to end up pricing people out of the hobby?
I think there are guys (and gals!) that buy 10K bikes but there can't be many. Most people will buy the frame and slap some parts on it they already have. In reality, it goes to the idea that some people still have lots of disposable income. People will spend 10-15K for a week at the beach!

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Do you really need a plastic frame? Plenty of nice options for a frame that are three times cheaper. One can get a perfectly functional, long lasting mountain bike for well under $2k.
One can get a perfectly functional, long lasting, 35+ lb mountain bike for well under $2K. Talk about a buzzkill: lugging a bloated pigbike up a climb.

My last mountain bike for myself: a 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight. $1600 new and 25 pounds. LX/XT components that, after tons of hard riding, are still original. I beat the living fishsticks out of that bike and it still won't break.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
One can get a perfectly functional, long lasting, 35+ lb mountain bike for well under $2K. Talk about a buzzkill: lugging a bloated pigbike up a climb.
First world problems.

And I am not sure where did you get that number. Plenty of mail order under 30lb, with parts that work better than what you had on your Superlight.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
First world problems.

And I am not sure where did you get that number. Plenty of mail order under 30lb, with parts that work better than what you had on your Superlight.
Yes, 1st world problems. Pass the Poupon before I taze you.

I pulled that 35lb number from my nether-regions. Making a point more about LBS pricing. Woe to the stoked new-to-mountain-biking dude that buys the $1200, 35 lb XC bike from the LBS only to realize he's dragging a crapload of useless weight up a long climb. Way to kill the excitement.

Like I said in a earlier post - online direct is a significant threat to LBS for the people that know what they want. Sette, Airborne and Fezzari are an interesting alternative to people willing to throw down without a test-ride.

And yes, although all my components are working fantastic, I'm a little tired of my V-brakes. Especially after grabbing a hold of my sons hydraulics and almost going over the handlebars.

Alos, an excellent point made about the Williams-Sonoma bread maker - makes a lot of sense and bike sales aren't immune to advanced marketing psychology.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I can't help but wonder how much of the money goes towards liability protection for the manufacturers.

It also really irritates me that Intense is charging all this money and they couldn't "afford" to make an XL carbon frame.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, you are posting in the Bay Area. And people here have a demented sense of monetary value.

For example: for someone working at Google, that person is probably thinking that purty little Intense Frame can be had for just selling 3 shares of stock!

·
More Torque
2,022 Posts
Complete carbon bike, with an excellent suspension design, from great local brand, for $200 less than the cost of the Intense frame. Arguably one of the best best values out there.

-D

SpecialBlend.JPG

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The last bike I bought in 1996 was $2400: xt level Bontrager Racelite , arguably on of the better steel hard tails. Over the years I replaced what broke with Xtr and appropriate carbon bits.

Today a set of Envelope carbon tubeless wheels with DT Swiss hubs at Jenson? $2419.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts