Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)


It took a little while to get, but it was way worth the wait. The first ride was last night, loved every minute of it. :D [list]
[*]Canyon Scandium custom
[*]Manitou Minute 2 100
[*]King headset
[*]Magura SL with XTR center lock rotors
[*]240SS singlespeed center lock hubs
[*]Mavic 717's
[*]DT revolution spokes
[*]WTB Epic Wolf 1.9 rear / 2.1 front with Stan's
[*]Thompson Seatpost
[*]Thompson Stem 110 X 5 degree
[*]Storica Saddle
[*]Easton EC70 bar
[*]Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends
[*]RaceFace Turbine 180mm ISIS
[*]RaceFace Signiture Ti BB
[*]Triple Ti Egg Beaters
[*]Boone Ti rear cog 18
[*]Boone Ti 34 ring
[*]SRAM PC-99 hollow pin chain
[*]King Ti cages
[*]Yeti Hardcore grips
[*]20 LBS 15 oz with pedals and cages :cool:
[/list] Not the lightest ever bike but i built it to be dependable and so i can ride it hard. I went all out on this bike, the first time, and all i have to say is if your going to spec your own bike don't scrimp anywhere. Your going to have it and ride for a long time, No Regrets!!
(C)romanrothphoto.com
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ATXSS said:
Hows the saddle? I think it would look cool on a single speed road bike, but I'm curious how it feels. Is it comparable to a standard flite?
The saddle is actually really comfortable, have a Flite on the old bike and this one out of the box is more comfortable than that ever has been. The 3 panels on the top are thick real leather (old school style) that will break in and get soft over time (we'll see) but it really does not feel hard when riding.
First ride impressions:

That thing rides nice!!!!! Feels good, very different, the power transfer is more direct without the Singlator and the take off is sweet. Spinning pretty quick, around 120's feels better to, not quite as choppy, more smooth on the spin, again I think the direct chainline no Singlator.

The new pedals are pretty sweet, switching from the Frog's to the Egg Beaters is totally different, no float and a really solid engaged feeling (really nice feeling for sprinting), click in is really basic and easy. I am surprised that people have trouble with these, especially those new Candy pedals with the platform.

The brakes are sweeeeeeetttttttt, I pulled em hard a couple of times on the downhills, Slows quick but no lock up, modulation even without being broken in is really good. The bike feels really stable and has a really light feel to it. It is light but it feels light as well, which is cool but it also feels very planted and does not feel like it bounces around the trail like some very light bikes tend to do. Seems to feel like it is "floating" on top of the trail, and takes so little effort sometimes to keep it rolling along.

In tight S-turns on single track it rolls really easy and accelerates out of the turns with little effort. The haul down into the turn is really predictable and I feel like I had to slow less to get through them than usual. On the steeper downs I felt very comfortable and felt like I was able open it up a bit more, with more confidence on the run out and approaching the turns before braking. The brakes add to the confidence dropping in the more technical sections the lack of lock up and better modulation made me feel better as I committed.
She seems to float over the rough stuff that the Klein would really chatter over, rolled it through some of the tiny dips in Whiting ( backwards on Cow Trail and the last little singletrack) and it felt really solid through the transition and roll out soaking up (or floating over) much of the brake chatter left by the Fred's.

The front end is a little heavier, and longer. First bunny hop and I clipped the top of the curb with the front wheel, the shock soaked it up with no bobble but I noticed that my pull needs to be more aggressive to get it up high and over stuff. Although with the SPV if I miss-judge it a bit I guess it will cover for me, HaHa.

I can't wait to push her hard to feel that out -Thursday night!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
83 Posts
Very nice. How do you like the Epic Wolf's, and what pressure are you running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
punk said:
Very nice. How do you like the Epic Wolf's, and what pressure are you running?
Love em, switched from Hutchinson Pythons after about 3 years and was totally happy with the switch right away. The side walls are tougher on the Epics and the tread pattern is great for most conditions and has a very predictable drift feel. They don't last very long though (rear). I run them with the Stan's around 35+/- with no problems and no flats. They are actually wider than the casing designation so running the 1.9/2.1 combo really feels more like a 2.1/2.3 combo from other tires.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
83 Posts
MutantSS'r said:
Love em, switched from Hutchinson Pythons after about 3 years and was totally happy with the switch right away. The side walls are tougher on the Epics and the tread pattern is great for most conditions and has a very predictable drift feel. They don't last very long though (rear). I run them with the Stan's around 35+/- with no problems and no flats. They are actually wider than the casing designation so running the 1.9/2.1 combo really feels more like a 2.1/2.3 combo from other tires.
Thanks. I'm running a 2.1 in front with a Python in the rear. I want to switch to something fatter on my new bike, so I might give the 2.1 Epic Wolf a try out back.

Other than packing up with mud, they seem to do well in most conditions.
 

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
Nice picture (of a nice bike, of course)! Did you take it in a studio or just really handy at Photoshop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drevil said:
Nice picture (of a nice bike, of course)! Did you take it in a studio or just really handy at Photoshop?
Studio shot, detail shots of the welds, dropouts and and the paint job are supossedly coming it's a good shot but the bike is so much more beautiful in person. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SSMF said:
Sweet! How long was the wait?
This is the first singlespeed with an EBB that Rob has done. He had to wait for a new jig to arrive before he could build it. So it was several months, but he is now up and running for pretty much any kind of build orientation, so it should not take to long. Rob does a great fact finding and measuring interview to get all the information for the awesome custom build. Paint is from Spectrum Powder Coating in CO. they also did a fabulous job (yeah it's powder coat), that took about 2 weeks extra. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Nice bike

I also have _M_agura SL with XTR center lock rotors. Mine howled like crazy after a couple rides. The problem was the FRONT XTR Rotor. Sh_i_mano will replace it with an XT rotor and the noise will go away immediately.

_M_agura also is coming out with a center lock ring adaptor so you use the rotors they sold you.

Enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MutantSS'r said:


It took a little while to get, but it was way worth the wait. The first ride was last night, loved every minute of it. :D [list]
[*]Canyon Scandium custom
[*]Manitou Minute 2 100
[*]King headset
[*]Magura SL with XTR center lock rotors
[*]240SS singlespeed center lock hubs
[*]Mavic 717's
[*]DT revolution spokes
[*]WTB Epic Wolf 1.9 rear / 2.1 front with Stan's
[*]Thompson Seatpost
[*]Thompson Stem 110 X 5 degree
[*]Storica Saddle
[*]Easton EC70 bar
[*]Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends
[*]RaceFace Turbine 180mm ISIS
[*]RaceFace Signiture Ti BB
[*]Triple Ti Egg Beaters
[*]Boone Ti rear cog 18
[*]Boone Ti 34 ring
[*]SRAM PC-99 hollow pin chain
[*]King Ti cages
[*]Yeti Hardcore grips
[*]20 LBS 15 oz with pedals and cages :cool:
[/list] Not the lightest ever bike but i built it to be dependable and so i can ride it hard. I went all out on this bike, the first time, and all i have to say is if your going to spec your own bike don't scrimp anywhere. Your going to have it and ride for a long time, No Regrets!!
(C)romanrothphoto.com[/QUOTE]

Detail shots are finally in. The workmanship is stellar.
 

Attachments

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
Great parts selection + great pics + great looking frame work = schweeeet ride

Congrats on the bike and hope it gives you tons of miless and ssmiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Awesome bike.

I like your bike. The detail pics are great looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Wow great looking SS, nice lightweight build!! Im going to have to check out that website for canyon.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top