Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased a GF Paragon last November and love the bike. I would like to purchase a set of Industry 9 wheelsets, SRAM 990 cassette and Thompson Masterpiece seat post - but am having a hard time justifing the purchase. I have never spent more than half of what the Paragon cost and am now thinking about upgrading components:eekster:

From research on this site, I believe I will get a nice bumb on performance with the wheelset. Cassette and seatpost - not too sure. However, this will put the bike well into the $3000 range.

My current rational to justify the expense: a Porscha would be 30X as much + tax, license, insurance. So this is saving me much cash, right:thumbsup:

Other rationals or, I guess, opposing points of view welcome!

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
I have the SRAM 990 cassette on my Superfly and it is very nice and looks even better. A friend has a set of the Industry 9 wheelset and they are really sick. And you can never go wrong with Thompson.

If you like your bike and ride it alot then that is all the justification you need.

Brew

·
Registered
153 Posts
There might be some better options if you post your bike. I9s are blingy, I'm sure you could get a wheelset with different hubs and be just as happy for maybe half the price. Sram 990 if you like the anodized stuff. I run the 980 and it's about the same thing minus the red for 30 dollars cheaper. I have a thomson and love it, can't go wrong here but your bike isn't going to feel any different.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Upgrading your wheel set is the best performance modification you can do to your bike aside from upgrading the bike frame. I9 wheels will last for many many miles so long as you keep the rims true and the hub bearings overhauled when need be.

The Sram 990 cassette is nice and light, looks spiffy, and shifts well so long as you have a compatible drivetrain (ie. sram drivetrain).

The Thomson seatpost is another timeless component and will out last you current frame and possibly many more. You can't go wrong with Thomson. Oh ya, and they look sexy.

If cycling is something your are passionate about, and you must have some level of passion for the sport or you would not be using MTBR and/or this forum, then you should really need no justification for upgrades. Keep researching and find the best parts for your type of riding.

Cheers,
BFE

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll give you a C note for all your leftover components. Hey, I'm just trying to help a brother out.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
+1 for the thompsn but if you can't justify the price of the masterpiece get the elite.
-1 for the 990 just because cassettes are consumable. You could get the 980 or the XT and both are good as well.
-1 for the I9 wheels. People love them and they sound, look, and I am sure feel great. But for less money you can set of high performance wheels you will just as happy with. Crossmax 29, anything Stans with the hub of your choice (hope,dt,ztr,american classic).

Anyhow good luck with your decision and post the pics when you are done

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...

Hey thanks all,

I have wanted a "close to" top of the line set-up for the last couple of decades. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order the wheelset (CK or I9) and Thompson MS seatpost.

I purchased the Paragon thinking it was a comprimise over a custom frame; but with the extra goodies, I do not think I could be happier. Unless I build my SS this winter:thumbsup:

I hope to have everything completed in the next 2-3 weeks and will post the pics.

Enjoy the trails!
AP

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
eastspur said:
There might be some better options if you post your bike. I9s are blingy, I'm sure you could get a wheelset with different hubs and be just as happy for maybe half the price. Sram 990 if you like the anodized stuff. I run the 980 and it's about the same thing minus the red for 30 dollars cheaper. I have a thomson and love it, can't go wrong here but your bike isn't going to feel any different.
:eek: My carrier no likey SRAM980's on my Hadleys with titanium carrier.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The masterpiece is great, I have them on both of my bikes. For my 29er wheelset, I went with DT240s/Stans 355. Very light and roll fast, couldn't be happier with them. You should check out bike29.com. They post builds on their blog and are big into CK and do I9 as well so it might give you some visuals on color choices. If you are doing a color I would do the headset as well to match. You could of course match the cassette as well with the 990. Just a note, I thought my 990 wore faster then my XT's but I have no scientific data to back that up.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
BIGfatED said:
The Sram 990 cassette is nice and light, looks spiffy, and shifts well so long as you have a compatible drivetrain (ie. sram drivetrain).
BFE - what are you talking about? :skep: PG 990 works just fine with Shimano chains, Shimano derailleurs and non-SRAM chainrings. In fact, for the past racing season, I used a PG-990 on my King hub, with a Shimano HG-93 chain and Blackspire rings, shifted with an XO med cage. Works like a charm. Hodge podge and all :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
BFE - what are you talking about? :skep: PG 990 works just fine with Shimano chains, Shimano derailleurs and non-SRAM chainrings. In fact, for the past racing season, I used a PG-990 on my King hub, with a Shimano HG-93 chain and Blackspire rings, shifted with an XO med cage. Works like a charm. Hodge podge and all :D
I stand corrected. My Rholoff uses none of those silly extra parts so I am no longer in the loop when I comes to traditional drivetrain components, please forgive me for my blathering.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My two cents; I wouldn't blow the money on the 990 and just get a 980. Great riviting but not as expensive! Stems a waste of money, cause a stem is a stem is a stem in my opinion. Don't get the crossmax wheels because they don't seat well with tubeless setups. I would, and have, bought I9 wheels and would do it all over again in a heart beat. They're awesome and I love them more than my kings! Anyways, I'm sure someone will quote me and drop a lot of jargon trash talking, but take my advice or leave it. I can always spend your money for you and would like to see a fellow biker get the most bang for their buck! :thumbsup:

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
BIGfatED said:
I stand corrected. My Rholoff uses none of those silly extra parts so I am no longer in the loop when I comes to traditional drivetrain components, please forgive me for my blathering.
That explains it - IGH tunnel vision :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
rasnickj1982 said:
Don't get the crossmax wheels because they don't seat well with tubeless setups. :thumbsup:
What??? Mine work fine. In fact all I had to do was add some stan's sealant. They are quite possibly the easiest wheels I have ever set up. No need for rim tape or anything.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
abp689 said:
I purchased a GF Paragon last November and love the bike. I would like to purchase a set of Industry 9 wheelsets, SRAM 990 cassette and Thompson Masterpiece seat post - but am having a hard time justifing the purchase.

My current rational to justify the expense: a Porscha would be 30X as much + tax, license, insurance. So this is saving me much cash, right:thumbsup:

Other rationals or, I guess, opposing points of view welcome!
Sure, you can get drunk on cheap wine and cheap beer - but the more expensive stuff tastes so much better.:thumbsup:

SRAM 990?

305g for the 11-34; 275g for the 11-32

If you are going to spend some coin, why not spend some coin and cut weight? Why not go all the way with an XTR?

245g for the 11-34; 221g for the 11-32

Or even lighter - the Ultralight Titanium MTB Cassette?

*Weights of "standard-Version":
11-30 : 166g (including 4g Lockring)
11-32 : 175g (including 4g Lockring)
11-34 : 187g (including 4g Lockring)

For an additional 25$ there is a SL-Kit which consists of a full Titanium 11t cog and plastic spacers that replace the parts on the standard-Version and which save 8g

*Weights of "SL-Version":
11-30 SL: 157g (including 4g Lockring)
11-32 SL: 167g (including 4g Lockring)
11-34 SL: 180g (including 4g Lockring)

·
Registered
927 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
That explains it - IGH tunnel vision :D
Just the way I like it. Keeping it rolling is the best way to go. Traditional drivetrains and I don't get along. I'm big and I break stuff, so I have to ride parts that keep me pedaling and enjoying the ride instead of driving to the LBS for more traditional parts. :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Sure, you can get drunk on cheap wine and cheap beer - but the more expensive stuff tastes so much better.:thumbsup:

SRAM 990?

If you are going to spend some coin, why not spend some coin and cut weight? Why not go all the way with an XTR?

Or even lighter - the Ultralight Titanium MTB Cassette?

*Weights of "standard-Version":
11-30 : 166g (including 4g Lockring)
11-32 : 175g (including 4g Lockring)
11-34 : 187g (including 4g Lockring)

For an additional 25$ there is a SL-Kit which consists of a full Titanium 11t cog and plastic spacers that replace the parts on the standard-Version and which save 8g

*Weights of "SL-Version":
11-30 SL: 157g (including 4g Lockring)
11-32 SL: 167g (including 4g Lockring)
11-34 SL: 180g (including 4g Lockring)
You weight-weenies have much deeper pockets than I. If you've got the 'ching' go for the Ti 'bling'. It would make me cry to blow up a Ti cassette. Kinda like burning Ben Franklins if you as me.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
BIGfatED said:
Just the way I like it. Keeping it rolling is the best way to go. Traditional drivetrains and I don't get along. I'm big and I break stuff, so I have to ride parts that keep me pedaling and enjoying the ride instead of driving to the LBS for more traditional parts. :)
IGH has me more than curios.

Oh, and no snide comments about WW's and their money for TI from the man running a $1400 rear hub. :nono:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BruceBrown said:

SRAM 990?

:thumbsup: I respect the quote; I started homebrewing because I like the good stuff but it was too expensive. I saw the XTR, but I read a review that stated it did not work well with the SRAM components. The 11-32 cassette looks inviting.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,912 Posts
abp689 said:
:thumbsup: I respect the quote; I started homebrewing because I like the good stuff but it was too expensive. I saw the XTR, but I read a review that stated it did not work well with the SRAM components. The 11-32 cassette looks inviting.
Whoever said that was high or drunk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts