Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question is there any advantages to having medal petals over lets say plastic ones...cause i took a fall and my stupid metal pedal busted my shin and now i have stiches in my shin....so im seriously considering getting rid of my medal petals and putting some plastic ones on w/ rubber pads or something...... whatd do u think i should do??

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
MKM said:
I have a question is there any advantages to having medal petals over lets say plastic ones...cause i took a fall and my stupid metal pedal busted my shin and now i have stiches in my shin....so im seriously considering getting rid of my medal petals and putting some plastic ones on w/ rubber pads or something...... whatd do u think i should do??
Haha. Ever wonder why people wear shinguards?

·
Registered
180 Posts
MKM said:
well if you arent kidding here then i think that you should deffinately NOT use plastic pedals. i have busted my shins plenty of times, i have had staples and all of that. it is just something that you will have to get over and take with riding. plastic pedals have absolutely no grip compared to metal ones, and they break. it also depends on what kind of riding you are doing, if you are doing xc then maybe you should try clipped pedals. just dont use plastic pedals. and i hope that your shin feels better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i think i should have just invested in some shin guards b4 this crap..... o well thanks for the help, gunna go get some now =)

I mostly just do FR/DH

·
Registered
655 Posts
I concur with the others. I just swapped out my metal stock platform pedals on my new trail bike. They managed to cause me to slip a pedal and bash my shin last weekend, but because they had smooth short nubs at least I didn't get cut. Yesterday I put on a pair of Azonic A-Frames and went for a ride, and the difference was shocking (way better). Then again, I also ordered a pair of hardshell shin/knee pads at the same time and plan on wearing them often.

I've had too many injuries as a direct result of shitty pedals, all plastic, and going back to when I was just starting riding bmx and slipped a pedal on the road down a hill. Nice sexy scars on a leg, a arm, and my side, but the infection from the asphalt shards sucked.

Just say no to plastic pedals!

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Yeah theres a reason, it's called GRIPPAGE!! Plastic pedals don't grip for shiat, especially if it's wet.

And like everyone else already said, get some knee/shin pads. Something like these (see pic), ROCKGARDN Landing Zone knee/shin, would do nicely.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yep, those are the Roach pads I just bought (assuming those are the freerides). Actually those look like they might be the downhill models with the full leg sleeve. They're really nice pads and fit nicely under jeans for that stealth stormtrooper look.

Sadly, I ordered the XL and because I'm really tall they ride a little low and the upper most leg strap is just barely long enough to double back onto itself because my calves are pretty large. But the velcro hooks sticks nicely to the elastic actually, even if it's not the fuzzy part of the velcro. If they made an XXL it would be perfect with longer straps.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Red Bull said:
Haha. Ever wonder why people wear shinguards?
wow, i just realized that u are the biggest sherpa wannabe :p

-short
-makes fun
-good gramar ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.