Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One hundred years from now it will not matter what kind of bike I rode or what I kind of moots frame I am getting next for my bike quiver. Or that I rode every weekend with the coolest cycling buddies on the best trails. Or that I spend numerous hours pouring over glossy, cycling magazines daydreaming of visiting and riding some of the most awe-inspiring trails on the planet. How much of the latest and greatest parts I have on order or the pile of outdoor gear that I have in my basement. Or the number of endless singletrack miles that I have ridden or beating a geared rider up Cardiac Hill. Or clearing that tough rocky sections that has hunted for some time. But my world is a better place because I made my child and wife the most important thing in my life.

My bike passion, interrupted by the birth of my child but I gladly give it up, temporarily to spend time with my family.

Hope all is well with everyone and ride some extra miles for me. Thanks for looking and have a swell day.

P.S. My apologies in advance for getting carried away with baby pics:)

When was the last time I rode? Last night as a matter of fact.:)

In search of frogs and turtles.

Baby Alana at 3 months old.

Candid shot of mom and baby.

Whatcha looking at?

Trail blazing on banks of the Potomac.

Time to feed and change the diaper.

"I don't know why they say "you have a baby." The baby has you." ~Gallagher

·
Registered
455 Posts
After reading Annie's post I figured you were just lurking around just waiting for people to notice your absence. ;)

Great post, great pics, great family!

·
Registered
207 Posts
HI Al !!!!!
I noticed your absence! I've missed your posts for quite some time now.
I know what it's like to put the riding on hold for family. But there is no comparison.

Dust off your legs, pal - I'll be heading your way within the next couple of months.

Actually, scratch that. sit on the couch and stuff your face with greasy chips and melted cheese. Maybe that way I'll be able to keep up with you. HA!

BTW, Nice pics!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like always you have the perfect words...

mugg said:
One hundred years from now it will not matter...
I know it would not be hard to bribe you for pics :D I see a future bike babe.

Congrats to baby for having you!!

Annie <--due in 7 weeks

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
hmm... how long til the first ever moots 24" kids bike??
good job. I'm not too far behind you. Turkey day or thereabouts.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
hey man, nice post

Its good to see such paternal and maternal values in couples in the mtbing community, I dunno why, but I guess it subconsciously reviatlizes your hope for the future seeing that such families still exist. Amidst all the divorces and nasty breakups, its refreshing to see couples bound with the goal of a loving relationship in which to raise the next generation...By the way, I really like your signature, its very apt for a parent....man I can't wait until I'm a dad...I'm still 18 :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It settles out...

I too had to largely let riding go for the young family, 5 years later and with 2.5 kids my time in the saddle is growing again. No longer 20 hours a week, but with Huge support of wife and kids, it is around ten hours or so weekly.... so the kids are just a great addittion and only a SLIGHT near term distraction.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
mugg said:
One hundred years from now it will not matter what kind of bike I rode or what I kind of moots frame I am getting next for my bike quiver. Or that I rode every weekend with the coolest cycling buddies on the best trails. Or that I spend numerous hours pouring over glossy, cycling magazines daydreaming of visiting and riding some of the most awe-inspiring trails on the planet. How much of the latest and greatest parts I have on order or the pile of outdoor gear that I have in my basement. Or the number of endless singletrack miles that I have ridden or beating a geared rider up Cardiac Hill. Or clearing that tough rocky sections that has hunted for some time. But my world is a better place because I made my child and wife the most important thing in my life.

My bike passion, interrupted by the birth of my child but I gladly give it up, temporarily to spend time with my family.

Hope all is well with everyone and ride some extra miles for me. Thanks for looking and have a swell day.

P.S. My apologies in advance for getting carried away with baby pics:)
Wow - what a cutie! (the kid, tho' your wife's no slouch :D )

Is that really the C&O in that turtle pic? Kee-ryst!

·
Registered
388 Posts
by far, raising a child is the most important job one can take. unfortunately no interview is required. still doesn't mean you have to or should give up biking completely. its good for your head and body to get away occasionally and push it.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
nicely done

Great post as usual Mugg. I've missed your posts lately but it looks like you have things well in hand.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Thanks and I missed your posts too......

It goes by quick. Soon you will be borrowing your kid's car. Eventually you will have all the time you want to ride again.

I speak from experience after 26 years of marriage and two kids, ages 23 and 20. When the heck did that happen?

·
beer thief
4,926 Posts
Very nice, mugg. Kids are amazing, your own kids anyway. You'll find (or probably have already found) biking is the perfect sport for parents - you can get in a super ride in those 1 to 3 hour windows, and as the kid(s) get older they will be able to join you in various forms. You will never forget the first day Alana rides without training wheels, or her first big crash with them. Enjoy

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Heh,
Good stuff as always. Last pic could be "stumping for a diaper change". (sorry)
Took me a sec to pay attention to the Gallager quote. That's perfect. I've be "gotten" a couple times.

Werner

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
so what type of child carrier are you getting--burley or yakima??

that's a cute kid, and your words are on target. i am blessed with 3 kids (and a great wife) which limits my riding time but that's the way it should be (at least for me)....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chariot Cougar

cohenfive said:
so what type of child carrier are you getting--burley or yakima??

that's a cute kid, and your words are on target. i am blessed with 3 kids (and a great wife) which limits my riding time but that's the way it should be (at least for me)....
Thanks!

I have been eyeing one of these since they first came out; will put an order for one in the fall season. Needless to say, I can't wait until she's old enough to ride inside one.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I appreciate it.

The Chariot Cougar SX looks lean and fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mugg,
You can have your baby in one already!!! We have a Cougar1 that I've had our baby in since he was a month old. You just have to buy the "infant sling" accessory!! Granted you can't take them on real rough trails but around town is great!!

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
good to see some pictures and read some words from you mugg/al.
I thought I recognized your doggie in this last issue of Dirt Rag. Babies are great and it just gets better - my son will be six this weekend. Once they can talk and really have a conversation it gets really interesting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts