Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been in the sport long enough you start to accumulate bike parts. At first these parts are spares and then they just become a lot of stuff that is still good but you have no use for.

When I look at my bins there is a couple of things that top the list.

#1: Tubes. Every new bike I get comes with tubes. Since I run tubeless I pull the tubes out and put them in a bin. Now I have multiple bins full of tubes.

#2: Narrow bars and long stems. I have so many bars and stems. All of them good but completely useless.

#3: Tires for wheel sizes I don't run anymore.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
I took a literal Home Depot bucket of old small parts down to my local sporting goods consignment shop last week. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.

I had bins full of derailleurs, brakes, crank bits, headsets, assorted this and that. I pretty much had everything to theoretically (dubious compatibility) build up a complete bike minus the frame.

·
No known cure
5,739 Posts
I used to have more parts, bikes and frames than a LBS. Being in the sport for over 30 years does that. Racing doubles that. My LBS uses me for my idiot savant knowledge of vintage crap.

Last fall, I had what I call an imaginary house fire and cured myself.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My basement has been a bike wrecking yard for 15 years.

But enough is enough, and I'm about to go all Marie-Kondo on the place into a metal waste bin and maybe a bike co-op drop-off box if I can find anything of any value. It's all 9-speed and older, and most of it's worn or busted.

We're going down to the bare walls in there. No joy.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
If you have been in the sport long enough you start to accumulate bike parts. At first these parts are spares and then they just become a lot of stuff that is still good but you have no use for.

When I look at my bins there is a couple of things that top the list.

#1: Tubes. Every new bike I get comes with tubes. Since I run tubeless I pull the tubes out and put them in a bin. Now I have multiple bins full of tubes.

#2: Narrow bars and long stems. I have so many bars and stems. All of them good but completely useless.

#3: Tires for wheel sizes I don't run anymore.
What size tubes? I need some.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have a bin full of random parts, tubes, tires, some wheels, etc. Nearest co-op is 2hrs away; don't want to just dump them in the trash but at the same time I don't have 4hrs out of my weekend to find where I can donate them.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,064 Posts
I have a bin full of random parts, tubes, tires, some wheels, etc. Nearest co-op is 2hrs away; don't want to just dump them in the trash but at the same time I don't have 4hrs out of my weekend to find where I can donate them.
I wish I had a bin. All my leftover parts are scattered about haphazardly. Can you spare a bin? ;)

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
I used to keep all my old parts around because I enjoyed cobbling together weird bikes out of them. My commuter for years was a frame that I got at a bike swap meet for $15 then I managed to jimmy-rig everything else together and somehow it functioned. I don't really get into that any more so the parts had to go.

·
No known cure
5,739 Posts
i use my old parts to upgrade the local neighborhood kids bikes..
I do that too. I once built a extra small Kona up for a neighbor lady's son. To say thank you, she gave me her ex husbands bike. A 1996 GT LTS Team with full XTR and a Ti spoked wheelset.

ETA I knew I had a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More the list:
Front derailleurs
Carbon Fibre straight posts
Chain rings for cranks, that I don't have anymore.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I don't keep anything I can't use. Don't be a packrat. Donate it to a bike co-op.
I actually looked into that a while back. But when I see the one by me has all these rules about when you can donate parts, and I have to go into a bad part of town to donate them, its not really worth the effort.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,625 Posts
I have an old roadbike frame and probably enough parts to build it into a franken bike, but I have not done so yet. I am interested to see if my son gets the tinkering bug as he grows up a bit so we can do this stuff together. He is only 3 right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.