Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the MTB scene...but...I LOVE IT and it's become something I enjoy doing on a set schedule every week. My problem is this....I bought a Specialized Uno full suspension...I LOVE the bike...however it has some upgrades I would like to do on it...specifically disc brakes, new shifters, etc. The problem I have is that while my bike is setup for disc brakes, the rims aren't and pricing these different components has added up.....so what i was thinking is that I could buy ANOTHER bike, something like a Diamondback Response with the disc brakes...I guess the main question I have is will components like rims, shifters, disc brakes, etc move from one bike to another...shouldn't be specific should it? Just thinking I would get MORE for the money by getting a used bike that way and moving the parts over.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Those are a flavor of hardrock from like 2002, right? You're not gonna want to hear it, but i would leave it alone if it works, or spend a couple bucks to get it working optimally. Good equipment works better and lasts longer, regardless of how new it is. New low end stuff isn't that much better than old low end stuff, but the condition its in makes a huge difference.

Take the time to buy some tools and run new shift cables and housings, read how to set up derailleurs on the park tools website, brake function and feel can really be changed with a few turns on the right allen screws, and experiment with the fit of the cockpit. Tools are an investment, skills are yours forever, and a well tuned bike works well regardless of how fancy the parts are.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.