Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Something like this might fit the bill. It's a Saris Wheel Arch Stand. The arches are adjustable to accommodate up to a 2.5" tire. It'll run you about $26 a copy. I haven't found them being offered by any e-tailers, but any shop that uses QBP as a supplier should be able to order them for you. There are others out there as well, but the ability to adjust the arches for tire width without tools is a very nice and handy feature.

Good Dirt

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do not waste your money on that rack. It would not hold up either of our mountain bikes, and a slight bump would knock over a road bike mounted in it. I have nothing against Saris - I loved my roof rack from them - but that thing is complete garbage.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Wood. Saw. Drill. Screws.

You can make your own bike stand for under $3 with the above ingredients! I built a free-standing one that holds 3 bikes for under $20

·
Registered
213 Posts
tracerprix said:
Yeah I know, but I have a thing about things looking nice.... :madman:
Do you feel like taking a pic of your rack you made? I like viewing diy racks.... You could PM me if you don't want to post. That Saris rack might be perfect if the bottom tubes were filled with cement??

Thanks,
A.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
tracerprix said:
Yeah I know, but I have a thing about things looking nice.... :madman:
If your problem with DIY is the result not looking good, maybe you need to get more practice and better construction skills :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 to "don't get the Saris". I got one from my LBS and it could not hold my bike (2.3 tires were too wide and it also flexed badly). They kindly accepted it back.

I got one of these:
http://www.feedbacksports.com/products/rakk_storage_stand.aspx

It is fantastic. It is also very portable and can be taken along to use at trail heads. The only down-side is that being steel, I wouldn't use it for a wash stand.

You can get it delivered for about $40 if you shop around on the net.

See post #6:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=592537

See Post #25:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7237317

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
txn said:
Do not waste your money on that rack. It would not hold up either of our mountain bikes, and a slight bump would knock over a road bike mounted in it. I have nothing against Saris - I loved my roof rack from them - but that thing is complete garbage.
I have the same one and it works well for my road bike. But for a few clams more, I;d rather have the feedback sports model.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I haven't made one for my MTB, since it mostly lives in the garage, but here's a pic of the one I made for my race bike...

It's solid, and can hold the bike by either wheel. The only difference for a MTB would be to increase the spacing between the two 2x4 pieces that hold the sides of the wheel and the width of the cutout in the 1x6 upright. Costs me nothing, since I built it out of scrap lumber. Took about 45-minutes, including rounding all of the edges over with a router.

Steve

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice work and nice bike Steve. Thanks for the post. I end up using my old trainer and some racks knocked together with 2x6s that look less finished than your rack does. Needless to say, I didn't take a router and cove bit to it that's for sure. Funny thing though that I have a full woodshop...

A.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts