Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been testing out a few camel backs deciding which ones we are gonna take on our trip to colorado. I just wrote up a review on the dakine session, which is freaking sweet. ( http://tripxamerica.com/?p=66 ) Its super small, yet still hold 2L of water and enough tooks / snacks for 2 - 3 hours trail ride.

Anyone else use a camel pack while riding? What about camera packs? We were thinking we might take the fancier camera on some of the trails with us, but we would def. need something to protect it. All the camera bags look pretty bulky though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe it was $40 plus shipping through REI. My girlfriend has a Camelbak also. Not sure of the model but it just has a 50 oz blatter and a small pocket for a wallet and keys. It fits her back very well. I think hers was $35 at REI.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use a seat pack for tools, spare tube, CO2, etc. Personal junk goes in the pockets of my shorts. I use one or two water bottles for shorter rides, like less than two hours.

I have four (yes, four) Camelbaks but seldom use any of them. The smallest has no storage, just the bladder. The three bigger ones can all hold a bunch of junk, but since the seat pack is already on the bike, I really don't use the storage except for snacks & stuff on longer rides.

The reason I don't use a Camelbak more often is because they make my back hot & sweaty, which I just don't care for.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Dakine. I have an older Dakine hydration pack that is actually their winter model (use it for snowboarding) but it works fine on the bike. One thing about Dakine is the full zip front pocket. Makes it so easy to get to things, not stuffing and searching. Just quick in quick out. For this alone, I like the Dakine set up better than any other.

·
Registered
142 Posts
this is my Camlbak H.A.W.G. in ACU camo. it is just right to fit my work colse in and have just a little more room if I need it. Haveing water right when you need it with out have to let go of the handle bars is the greatist thing ever! :thumbsup: . the only think I am dissapoint in is the hadware and the striath of the stiching. don't get me wrong, it is very good, but it is not the unstopabale Military gread pack like my Kifaru Pointman! that thing is the best bult thing I have ever owned, but it is way to much pack for just holding my water and work colse. anyway here are some pics.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If I was going to purchase another hydration pack.....and I do have a birthday coming up....I would look at the Deuter packs. They have a nifty system that holds the pack slightly away from your back to allow air flow. Not only is this reported to eliminate "sweaty back" but I read somewhere that an incredibly large amount of body heat is actually transferred out through the kidneys (and covering them up makes it harder for the body to lose heat). Anyway, the packs aren't cheap, but look nice...and hey, they're German they must be good.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Shorter rides that only take a day, I roll with a hawg camelbak. It holds my pump, extra tubes, patches, some clothes, gps, cell phone, first aid kit, etc.

For longer rides or over nighters, I roll with an LL bean backpack that holds a 100 ml camelbak bladder, and I can cram rain gear, change of clothes, first aid kit, food, fire starting materials, attach a 1 person tent and sleeping bag, and it all feels good on my back.

I am also close to 300 lbs so I am basically like a damn pack mule on a bike.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds good. i dont think any of our bike trails are gonna be longer than a day. We do about 2 - 3 hours id say. Now if only i could get off work and go get my dakine bag and odi lock on grips ill be happy.

So yea, next review will the the lock on grips i got! be excited people
haha

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
I go the cheap route.

W-M has hydration packs, too; the "Outdoor" brand, which has been very good to me over the last six years. I wear a pack nearly every day -- always on commute, and every ride for more than an hour, plus utility rides -- and the only thing I had to do to make the cheapo hydration bladder workable is slip a Big Bite Valve on it. 2x in the whole time, I emptied the 2L bladder before getting home. Both were hot summer rides of 40+ miles.

I'd like a Mule, but I need more justification to spend that much, when I can get one that'll serve for years for $30.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,972 Posts
bigpedaler said:
I go the cheap route.

W-M has hydration packs, too; the "Outdoor" brand, which has been very good to me over the last six years. I wear a pack nearly every day -- always on commute, and every ride for more than an hour, plus utility rides -- and the only thing I had to do to make the cheapo hydration bladder workable is slip a Big Bite Valve on it. 2x in the whole time, I emptied the 2L bladder before getting home. Both were hot summer rides of 40+ miles.

I'd like a Mule, but I need more justification to spend that much, when I can get one that'll serve for years for $30.
I got a pair of Mules for $25 apiece. Ahhh...when company reps come to play. Mine are still in service 5yrs later and still going strong.

But I'm looking for a new pack for better fit. I do not like that my mule does not have a load-bearing hipbelt.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/796557
That one's on my christmas list.

·
I Ride Alone
289 Posts
NateHawk said:
I got a pair of Mules for $25 apiece. Ahhh...when company reps come to play. Mine are still in service 5yrs later and still going strong.

But I'm looking for a new pack for better fit. I do not like that my mule does not have a load-bearing hipbelt.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/796557
That one's on my christmas list.
The Dueter packs are THE best packs made for Mountain Biking, no question.
I have a DueterCompact EXP 12 . The suspension system is terrific (Airstripes, same as race X) and the pack maintains its shape even with a full 100 oz bladder. Doesnt roll around the full bladder like the Camelback-type pack.
I also dig the Bladder, I didnt think I would.
Thats a great deal! If I didnt already have one I'd definately hop on it!.

Tryed the Ergon BD-2 it was full of gimmick, fragile, hard to set up, still hurt my back and just not reasonable to use.
Also very expensive!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.