Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Evoc bike bag and will always pack the bike with handlebars removed but stem intact. Some friends advised it's easier to remove the stem together with the handlebar fixed when packing. Which is the easier and efficient method taking into account ease of dismantling and re assembly on site?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I find it easier to leave the stem attached to the bars since I don't need a torque wrench to clamp the steerer, and I have to remove the fork anyway (to fit an xxl bike in an ironcase). With the Evoc bag maybe you can leave the fork on. Still it's pretty much a wash: remove top cap and loosen 2 pinch bolts, and adjust your headset when you put it back together, or remove 4 bolts and possibly need a torque wrench to reinstall.

You don't have any loose parts either way, just put the top cap back on the steerer and finger-thread the bolt and everything is contained on there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.