Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!
Endurance rider here looking for new buzz, think I found it, just need to see if I can put it together.
Looking to enter first winter mtb event, Susitna 100. Want to use current bike w/ some changes.(Jamis Dragon hardtail, full xtr, mavic disc rims).
Alex dx 32 rims were recomended, decent price point, what do you all think?
Tire?? which ones work well?? What would be minimum size you would run? I read all about these 3.0 tires they are not going to fit my rig and it seems like alot of tire to be pushing? Is there apoint where you trade off? I need help here.
Does carbon parts hold up in such cold? (bars and post)
Looking to swap out my fox fork w/ surly 1x1, what do you think and what is the tires people are putting in them?
It seems as if the wheel thing is the big exspense on converting to snow bike, I am looking to come up w/ budget to make decision quickly. Thanks for all answers and any other additional info. I am sure to have lots more questions to follow. Thanxs to Mike from race that gave me soom info already and directed me here.

G

·
Fat Tires

Jay P said:
Hello all!!
Endurance rider here looking for new buzz, think I found it, just need to see if I can put it together.
Looking to enter first winter mtb event, Susitna 100. Want to use current bike w/ some changes.(Jamis Dragon hardtail, full xtr, mavic disc rims).
Alex dx 32 rims were recomended, decent price point, what do you all think?
Tire?? which ones work well?? What would be minimum size you would run? I read all about these 3.0 tires they are not going to fit my rig and it seems like alot of tire to be pushing? Is there apoint where you trade off? I need help here.
Does carbon parts hold up in such cold? (bars and post)
Looking to swap out my fox fork w/ surly 1x1, what do you think and what is the tires people are putting in them?
It seems as if the wheel thing is the big exspense on converting to snow bike, I am looking to come up w/ budget to make decision quickly. Thanks for all answers and any other additional info. I am sure to have lots more questions to follow. Thanxs to Mike from race that gave me soom info already and directed me here.
44mm snowcats have been the rim of choice for years before the 84mm Remolino sand rims came into being and now the 65mm Surly Large Marge. Converting to the wide rims and 3.0-3.7 tires is expensive and requires a custom frame. Rider/gear weight and of course trail conditions are the big factor in determining whether the fatties are worth the extra effort and price. 2.25 GEAX Sodonas or Blades are high volume for their size and have tough sidewalls that will stand up to running low air pressure.My wife Kathi M has been running Snowcats with a 2.5 Timberwolf on the front for better steering and a Sodona on the rear for two winters She can ride nearly anything I can on 3.0s but she is 40 lbs lighter.The Sodonas are as wide or wider running low pressure as some of the 2.5s. A light stiff fork instead of your fox is a good thing but I will let some of the others who have used the Surly fork advise you on that. I think most factory stiff forks will fit the tires you would want to run. I have tried running a fat tire 3.0 with a wide fork on the front with a smaller 2.5 rear and didn't like the handling. Good Luck in Susitna
Bill M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.