Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weirdest one I tracked down was a plastic shift cable ferrule clicking against the dry metal inside the housing stop on the top tube when the frame flexed - was pretty hard to pinpoint as it wasn't regular and I could only hear it on the road. Shoot some chain lube in there a few times a year now.

You said it wasn't crank related so ignore this, but if it helps anybody else the joint between the spider & right crank arm on a set of shimano hollowtech cranks caused a clicking that led me around the frame for a while before I swapped out the crankset.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
More of a story than a solution.

Had something similar creak this week on a brand new Norco Optic. Started methodically cleaning and greasing everything, seat post, head set, cranks, bottom bracket, pedals, still creaking. Then checked the cable routing, still creaking. Then I focused on the rear shock. I pulled it out and low and behold the grease around the top and bottom mounting hardware was a really thick dence paste and there was a weird white residue on the shock mount bushing. I realised they had used some weird white coloured thread locker that had escaped the threads and contaminated the grease and made it hard. It took isopropyl alcohol, towel and even some scotch brite to clean all the hardware. Some fresh grease with everything torqued up correctly and it's now creak free.

Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks all of you for the answers. I'm going to try the methods you recommended. I hope I will find the solution.

Sent from my SM-G920F using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't push on the drivetrain, simply the frame itself. I think it's related to suspension.

I've seen the Fox du bushings for the shock be undersized on a few bikes. This creates play between the shock and the frame or shock and linkage. See if there is any side play in your rear shock.
you can fix it with a new bushing or shims.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've seen the Fox du bushings for the shock be undersized on a few bikes. This creates play between the shock and the frame or shock and linkage. See if there is any side play in your rear shock.
you can fix it with a new bushing or shims.
I just had to take apart the swing arm on my Fuel EX+ and clean/ re-grease the pivots because of an inconsistent popping noise.
Something else no one mentioned (but unlikely) is make sure your cassette lock ring is tight. I’ve seen multiple times where it makes a sound you wouldn’t think it would and the sound travelled thru the bike and sounded like it was coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had the same type of issue. Very random. Turned out that there was a very small crack in the frame that was causing the noise. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

These types of noises can be very frustrating. There are so many potential causes.

Hope you get it diagnosed soon!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a full sus mtb, and it makes annoying clicking noises a while ago. I hear them sometimes from bottom bracket area, sometimes from head tube or down tube. It happened when hard pedaling but now it's coming randomly (if I seat, steer even sometimes when I just touch the handlebars). Sometimes it just completely disappears for a day. I even had one week, when it was silent. I tried regreaseing bottom bracket, headset etc. Any idea what is going on?

The most common "random clicking sound" on newer MTB's... is associated with newer GX equipped mountain bikes. There tends to be a cable tension issues while on the 4th or 5th cog, which can cause this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[QUOTE = "riderhun6, viesti: 15220959, jäsen: 903688"]
Kiitos vastauksesta. Unohdin mainita, että jos painan voimakkaasti kehystä, se napsahtaa, kun vapautan sen, se napsahtaa toisen kerran.

Lähetetty SM-G920F-laitteeltani käyttäen tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app
[/LAINATA]
Frame bearings ,one of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the answer, but my problems don't have any obsession with cranks, because I have the sound when I grab the downtube, and press it strongly.

Maybe part of the linkages then. Does it creak when you hold the bike in the air and drop it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a random clicking sound and it annoyed the hell out of me. Even climbed the Stelvio with it and it made it a lot less enjoyable :) I changed the bottom bracket, regreased all bearings, retightened all pivot joints, removed an replaced the handlebar etc. Even greased the spoke nipples. I eventually found the culprit: it was the outer bearing of my freewheel hub that had gotten loose. Replaced it and now it is silent as it should.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
One random clicking sound I chased down turned out to be internally routed cables/hoses. Sometimes clicked when turning, sometimes with suspension movement, sometimes silent. Drove me nuts. Pulling the cables out a little at the top/front made made everything quiet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I found a possible issue. The sounds are coming from the bottle cage mounts. I don't use bottle cage, but I checked the screws and the bosses are spinning when I tighten them. Could it be the problem, and if yes, how can I fix it?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts