Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full sus mtb, and it makes annoying clicking noises a while ago. I hear them sometimes from bottom bracket area, sometimes from head tube or down tube. It happened when hard pedaling but now it's coming randomly (if I seat, steer even sometimes when I just touch the handlebars). Sometimes it just completely disappears for a day. I even had one week, when it was silent. I tried regreaseing bottom bracket, headset etc. Any idea what is going on?

Sent from my SM-G920F using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

·
since 4/10/2009
30,817 Posts
I have a full sus mtb, and it makes annoying clicking noises a while ago. I hear them sometimes from bottom bracket area, sometimes from head tube or down tube. It happened when hard pedaling but now it's coming randomly (if I seat, steer even sometimes when I just touch the handlebars). Sometimes it just completely disappears for a day. I even had one week, when it was silent. I tried regreaseing bottom bracket, headset etc. Any idea what is going on?

internet diagnosis for stuff like this doesn't work.

chasing noises could require you to try every single fastener on the bike.

some things are common - dirty seatpost clamp area, dirt around the seat clamp/seat rails, pedals. sometimes you can isolate the sound pretty definitively. sometimes not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

some things are common - dirty seatpost clamp area, dirt around the seat clamp/seat rails, pedals. sometimes you can isolate the sound pretty definitively. sometimes not.
Thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention that if I push hard on the frame, it clicks, when I release it, It clicks another time.

·
Registered
588 Posts

When I can’t find the issue, lubricate all the spokes where they cross and contact each other. You may surprise yourself...

·
Magically Delicious
9,243 Posts
Anything that can be loosened or tightened is suspect. Any of these could be the origin of the OP's noise.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have pedals that can be serviced (Crankbrothers Stamp for example), its worth a breakdown and re-grease for a relatively easy process of elimination.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have a clicking sound constantly. I live in the desert where stuff gets dried out in the worst way. The only thing you can do it start lubing things one by one in between rides to try and figure out what it is.

Personally, I am really good about maintenance but find that 99% of the time my clicking sound is my SPD pedals. I blow them out with my compressor and then drop some chain lube in the springs. It works for a couple rides, but then they're back to creaking and popping.

The good thing is that once you find the culprit, it's generally easy to maintain.

·
Magically Delicious
9,243 Posts
^^^^ Current stuff or old pedals? I remember many years ago, inexpensive, non-serviceable, but nothing that I can think in todays mtb world.

·
Registered
100 Posts
to make matters worse you could be getting clicks/ creaks from multiple sources. Disassemble, clean, and relube as many parts as possible. When testing try to eliminate certain inputs. Like swap to a different pair of pedals or put your foot directly on the crank to bypass the pedals before you go rebuilding pedals. But in the end any rebuild is never a bad idea. I’ve been there too and it is a major pain. Even replaced all frame bearings even though they still felt smooth and that didn’t fix it for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
I don't get clicking from my SPD pedals but I do get a creaking and grinding sound when they're dry. That's almost as bad as a mysterious clicking from somewhere else on the bike.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Grease rear axle, check your clutch if you have one. My partner's one had dried or squeezed it's grease out, made a click/creak every time the suspension compressed with the clutch on, silent with it off.
I've also had a single bearing creak, that took a long time to find, drive side chainstay to frame bearing. And my pedals will click when the bloody bushings go. Which is about every three months on my DMR Vaults.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention that if I push hard on the frame, it clicks, when I release it, It clicks another time.

When you say “push hard on the frame,” is this while standing on the pedals, or simply bearing down on the seat? This will determine if it’s your drivetrain (BB, crank, pedals, etc), vs something related to the suspension.

You can also flip your bike over and try working the various moving parts. I found this was helpful in isolating the source.

I struggled to locate a clicking sound when peddling under load. Basically I would get two clicks per rotation. I checked all fasteners, pedals, removed/re-greased BB. No luck! I ended up swapping crank to another bike and the problem moved to the other bike. I then tightened the nut on my chain ring crank (Shimano XT crank with Absolute Black CR) and son of a gun, problem fixed!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say “push hard on the frame,” is this while standing on the pedals, or simply bearing down on the seat? This will determine if it’s your drivetrain (BB, crank, pedals, etc), vs something related to the suspension.

You can also flip your bike over and try working the various moving parts. I found this was helpful in isolating the source.

I struggled to locate a clicking sound when peddling under load. Basically I would get two clicks per rotation. I checked all fasteners, pedals, removed/re-greased BB. No luck! I ended up swapping crank to another bike and the problem moved to the other bike. I then tightened the nut on my chain ring crank (Shimano XT crank with Absolute Black CR) and son of a gun, problem fixed!

Good luck!
I don't push on the drivetrain, simply the frame itself. I think it's related to suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't push on the drivetrain, simply the frame itself. I think it's related to suspension.

I had that same prob but on my hardtail...crank arm was stripped because it is a square fitting. I can give you photos if you want more of an explanation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had that same prob but on my hardtail...crank arm was stripped because it is a square fitting. I can give you photos if you want more of an explanation.
Thanks for the answer, but my problems don't have any obsession with cranks, because I have the sound when I grab the downtube, and press it strongly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts