Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anywhere that you know of with detailed videos on how to service a bike, ie truing wheels, adjusting brakes and gears, proper lubing, adjusting and servicing front shock, etc? I just bought a nice, new bike, but the bike shop I bought it from is about an hour away. So, the free service is quite useless to me. Instead of paying for it, I'd like to learn on my own how to properly service and maintain my bike.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
There's a sticky at the top of the page.

Park Tool, as previously mentioned, is awesome.
sheldonbrown.com takes a little more time to use, but if you're technically-minded, you can learn about some of the theory and history of the parts you're maintaining, which I find fascinating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Someone on this forum mentioned this site: SheldonBrown dot com

He has a ton of articles and a special section on bike repairs. Goes into great detail. I have it bookmarked.

You could also do a YouTube search on "Mountain Bike Repair" but keep in mind you should know enough about basic maintenance and wrenching to weed out the bogus vids.

You can also find tons of useful info on this forum.

Hope this helps.

edit: I had embedded links but since I am new, I had to remove them. Hope you can figure out what I was talking about. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The sheldonbrown and park tools websites really help. I really just need to know how to perform standard service and adjustments on my bike. If anything goes severely wrong, I'll more than likely take it to the lbs, anyway. I really appreciate the links.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.